Merry Krishnas!

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 02:52 am
Well, that day is here. Santa just left, we shared a bottle of coke and a cigarette.
Enjoy your turkey feasts, presents, comradery, and all else that comes with xmas.
Have a good one fellas. (and fellettes)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,240 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Instigate

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 02:56 am
You shouls hace got im drunk
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 06:02 am
Interesting avatar you've got there, Instigate! You're not the violent type, are you?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:39 am
It's Christmas. It's not xmas!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
mother angel, it's whatever you need it to be.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:48 am
X·mas (krĭs'məs, ĕks'məs)
Quote:
n.
Christmas.

[From X, the Greek letter chi, first letter of Greek Khrīstos, Christ. See Christ.]

USAGE NOTE Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of Χριστος, "Christ." In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, "Christian." But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening pronounced (ĕks'məs). Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:50 am
Phoenix,

Thank you for posting that. The reason it was changed to xmas was for commercial reasons. It was cheaper for advertisers to use X instead of Christ because of less letters.

But, it's still Christmas to me!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 10:55 am
Quote:
Xmas
This abbreviation for Christmas is of Greek origin. The word for Christ in Greek is Xristos. During the 16th century, Europeans began using the first initial of Christ's name, "X" in place of the word Christ in Christmas as a shorthand form of the word. Although the early Christians understood that X stood for Christ's name, later Christians who did not understand the Greek language mistook "Xmas" as a sign of disrespect.

http://wilstar.com/xmas/xmassymb.htm

Quote:
Thank you for posting that. The reason it was changed to xmas was for commercial reasons. It was cheaper for advertisers to use X instead of Christ because of less letters.

I don't think so, Momma. The change began in the 16th century, long before Madision Avenue was a gleam in an advertiser's eye!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:04 am
Phoenix,

I realize that, but it became more in the public eye when advertisers started using it, don't you think?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:06 am
phoenix, protestant christians have a need to define terms to meet their current agenda, let them maintian their mythology, they need every straw they can grasp.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:07 am
dys,

Merry Christmas, dys!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:11 am
Thanks, Dok. It is a good time of the winter, isn't it? It's a relief to see the days getting longer, too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:11 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Phoenix,

I realize that, but it became more in the public eye when advertisers started using it, don't you think?

Momma- The advertisers were merely continuing a usage that began in the 16th century. I would suggest that since TV and the internet, just about EVERYTHING is more in the public eye!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 11:13 am
dys,

I would think you could say the same thing of the non-believers, etc.? Don't you think the Christians might think you are trying to put your spin on things? It seems no matter what we say about something, someone counters it with something opposite.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:15 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
dys,

I would think you could say the same thing of the non-believers, etc.? Don't you think the Christians might think you are trying to put your spin on things? It seems no matter what we say about something, someone counters it with something opposite.

,syD

You wouldn't blank out I couldn't mute the opposite nonentity of the believers, etc.? Do I forget the non-Christians mightn't draw a blank I am avoiding taking my non-rotational movement off nothing? It doesn't seem all antimatter what they don't say without reference to nothing, no one reinforces it with nothing identical.

Edited coz I can't speel
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:18 pm
You could be right, Monger.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:19 pm
I think your head is stuck in the other end of the elephant.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:24 pm
OK, where is the durned elephant now that I need him/her? I'll get it.

AHA!

http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/elephant.jpg
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:42 pm
neologist wrote:
I think your head is stuck in the other end of the elephant.

Aha! That would explain this impenetrable darkness, the bone-crushing tightening of my surroundings, and the enormous loads of elephant crap. But can it explain my jolly Xmas mood?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:47 pm
You, no doubt, have much frivolity within. Laughing
0 Replies