UK terror risk "greater than in US"

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
The UK has been ranked 32nd in a terrorism risk table designed to help companies asses insurance needs.

Iraq, India and Russia are deemed the three riskiest countries followed by Israel, Nepal and Pakistan.
The only European country in the list prepared by JLT Emerging Markets is France at 42nd, just behind the USA in 41st.

Dr. Michael LĂ©onard, chief economist at JLT Emerging Markets, said: "These ratings, which use economic and political intelligence and historical loss data, remind companies to look beyond headlines and assess their exposures in large foreihn direct invetsment destinations and not just those that have a long history of terrorism."

Quote:
JLT Releases 2006 Global Terrorism Ranking

India and Russia Ranked Higher than Afghanistan and US makes list of Top 50 Highest Risk Countries

JLT Estimates Gaps in Terrorism Insurance Policies Could Cost US Companies $130 Billion in Event of Large Scale Attack

New York, 22 December 2005: India and Russia, two of the most popular destinations for foreign direct investments (FDI) in 2005, are ranked second and third, respectively, right behind Iraq, in JLT's ranking of the riskiest countries in which to do business in 2006. The top ten also includes other popular FDI destinations such as Indonesia, the Philippines and Turkey, which all ranked higher than Afghanistan. The United States makes the top 50, coming in 41st.
[...]
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4222/clipboard19qw.jpg

Source and full report (PDF-file)

[Additonal material by agencies.]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 644 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 03:41 pm
Interesting, Walter. Some surprises there (for me, at least). I'd never have thought of Thailand being ranked so high, for example.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 04:50 pm
Thay have an insurgency going on....Muslims in the south.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 06:17 pm
Yeah, I know, Deb. But what surprised me is that it ranks above the West Bank and any European country at all. Also surprised me that the USA is so relatively low on the list.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 11:46 pm
Though, the UK is above the USA, and France is on the list as well.
0 Replies