RENT

eoe

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:21 pm
Has anyone seen this movie? I saw it last night and I liked it but then, there were aspects of it that didn't go so well for me. What did you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 748 • Replies: 6
No top replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:52 am
Nobody???
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:12 pm
Saw it on stage and was not waiting with bated breath to see the movie. It's stage presence is essential, not translatable to the screen like, for instance, "Chicago." Althought that film was absolutely a different experience from a stage experience, it held up on its own as a movie because of the director.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:48 pm
I had problems with sooooo much dialogue tied up in song and some of it, the heavier stuff, came off as silly or trite to me because it was sung about rather than spoken. I know musical theatre and appreciate the trials of translating from stage to screen but that was irritating for me in the beginning.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:07 pm
I loved the play.

I'm a bit afraid to see the movie - don't want the memories of the live performance tarnished.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:41 pm
Don't think it will be. All of the actors in the movie were wonderful and you know, only Rosario Dawson and Ms. Thoms (Joann) are new to the cast and both were amazingly good.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 08:58 am
I was pleased they kept most of the Broadway cast and in the right demographic the film will bring in those who saw the staged musical. It's as modern a musical as any Sondheim, kind of the other wide of the mirror from his "Company." It's also added to the plethora of gay themed movies now at the multiplex (well, in my neighborhood, "Brokeback Mountain" is still only released to our local art theater).
0 Replies