Does the federal government of the U.S. have rites?

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:05 am
Does the federal government of the U.S. have rites under the constitution?

I'm asking this more as a question than an argument. I know that states have rites. Citizens definitely have constitutional rites. But what rites does the federal government have in the Constitution other than to be independant from England?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,059 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:10 am
One rite which i have heard of involves sacrificing newborn infants in the parking garage under the White House late a night. Then, having drunk the blood of the infant, the participants burn the body, while dancing naked and chanting neo-con slogans.

The word you want is "rights."

Yes, the government has very clearly defined rights, as well as a host of vague rights inferred from the constitution. A very clear example of this is to be found in Article I, Sections 8 and 9. Section 8 begins, "The Congress shall have the power . . ." and proceeds to assign a list of powers to the Congress. Article 9 explains limitations on the powers of Congress.

I would suggest this page as a good starting point. When you get to that page, click on "US Constitution," and then read it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:12 am
I was going to say the same as Setanta, rover.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:14 am
Setanta, You could have answered that without being a dick.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:18 am
Want some cheese with that whine?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:21 am
You know, rover, it used to be that one must get permission from the Federal government to sue the Federal government. I wonder if that is still true.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:25 am
Still not quite clear for me: a you, roverroad, asking for 'rites' or 'rights'?

('Rights' can be easily explained/researched - 'rites' seem to be more complicating re what you excactly understand by that [religious rites? just traditional 'customs'?].)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:30 am
Walter, i think it is reasonable to assume that RR simply meant rights, but misspelled it. My evil nature overcame me, however, when i had hilarious visions of government employees conducting vile rituals in dark places . . . so i responded intemperately . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 06:37 am
Hmm, of course you definatiley have the privelidge to creetyseize such.
Butt its a embarressment.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:01 am
Setanta, those are powers, not RIGHTS, and that answers my question.

Walter Hinteler, thanks anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:04 am
Sure, RR, whatever you say . . .
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:19 am
There you go again...

What I say is, the government has the power, not the right to do what they do.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 08:30 am
Like i said, RR, whatever you say . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:26 am
I think this illustrates what rover is trying to point out:

Judge Resigns Over Secret Surveillance
AP - 48 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - A federal judge has resigned from a special court set up to oversee government surveillance, apparently in protest of President Bush's secret authorization of a domestic spying program on people with suspected terrorist ties. U.S. District Judge James Robertson would not comment Wednesday on his resignation, but The Washington Post reported that it stemmed from deep concern that the surveillance program Bush authorized was legally questionable and may have tainted the work of the court.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:32 am
What about the Rites and Rituals of any established bureaucracy?

I can't come up with any specific examples of "rights" unless the perks of our elected representatives can be classified as such.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:53 am
Thanks Letty, I've decided to scrap this post and try again later since some people can't get past a simple spelling error. It's amazing...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 11:14 am
rover, if it is that important to you, I think you can edit it, but I'm not certain.

Noddy, you are right. Rituals are a big thing in all of our lives.
0 Replies