Judge rules against 'intelligent design'

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:01 am
Judge rules against 'intelligent design' in science class

Quote:
In an opinion issued Tuesday, U.S. District Judge John Jones ruled that teaching "intelligent design" would violate the Constitutional separation of church and state.

"We have concluded that it is not [science], and moreover that ID cannot uncouple itself from its creationist, and thus religious, antecedents," Jones writes in his 139-page opinion posted on the court's Web site. . . .

Jones presided over a six-week trial that ended last month. His decision applies only to the Pennsylvania school district. . . .

In 1987, the Supreme Court ruled that Louisiana could not teach creationism because it would "restructure the science curriculum to conform with a particular religious viewpoint."

Link to the judicial opinion:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/images/12/20/kitzmiller.pdf
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 880 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:11 am
Re: Judge rules against 'intelligent design'
This is a judge that knows how to read the constitution. It's not a matter of interpretation where religion is concerned, although the fanatics try desperately to interpret it in their favor.

It's a fact that Intelligent design was invented by churches to present a viable alternative to Evolution so that they could teach the bible in tax payer funded schools. It's funny how far they are trying to take it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:43 pm
roverroad wrote:
It's a fact that Intelligent design was invented by churches to present a viable alternative to Evolution so that they could teach the bible in tax payer funded schools.

I agree.

There's more activity on this subject here.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 03:36 am
roverroad wrote:
This is a judge that knows how to read the constitution. It's not a matter of interpretation where religion is concerned, although the fanatics try desperately to interpret it in their favor.

Bingo. Someone give this man a cigar.
0 Replies

TheWun1

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:04 pm
roverroad wrote:
It's a fact that Intelligent design was invented by churches to present a viable alternative to Evolution so that they could teach the bible in tax payer funded schools.

It amazes me how easily someone will try to say "IT'S A FACT" when in all reality they have absolutely not a single scrap of a clue what they're talking about. For Instance:

Intelligent design was not "invented by churches". Belief in creation (that a higher being is responsible for our existence) is the original belief that ever was - in all recorded history! The oldest recorded history is in fact the Bible, and popular studies of the bible estimate that to be about 6 thousand years ago. Evolution, on the other hand was only introduced less than 200 years ago. Read THIS on encyclopedia.com :
Quote:
concept of evolution developed in the mid-19th cent. by Charles Robert Darwin . Darwin's meticulously documented observations led him to question the then current belief in special creation of each species.

As you can see - that statement is COMPLETELY backwards. It's the evolution theory that was INVENTED as an alternative to the "Intelligent Design" belief which had existed for about 6 THOUSAND years!

Quote:
... so that they could teach the bible in tax payer funded schools.

How stupid are you people? The belief of intelligent design was in existence long before there ever were schools, long before there ever were taxes!! Thousands of years before th United States of America EVER EXISTED!! Do you not realize that most countries and their constitutions were FOUNDED with complete acceptance of "intelligent design" or belief in creation - whichever you call it and were based on christian principles and beliefs? You should REALLY get your head into a TINY bit of history and you'd learn a LOT.

Of all the stupid arguments I've heard - this is one of the worst. Completely mind-numbing babbling ignorance. It's this type of reasoning that sometimes nudges me towards the belief that you have evolved from sea-sludge... nothing else would be so senseless and ignorant.
LMAO!! Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:13 pm
TheWun1 wrote:
Intelligent design was not "invented by churches". Belief in creation (that a higher being is responsible for our existence) is the original belief that ever was - in all recorded history!

"Intelligent Design" (also called ID), as it is used in this thread, is *not* the same thing as the general concept of creation, which is what you are suggesting.

Are you just trying to fuel a debate, or are you really confused by the difference between the two things?

By the way, welcome to A2K Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:15 pm
I saw that screed, and realized there is no way in Hell you'll get through to that guy, so i didn't try . . .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
I saw that screed, and realized there is no way in Hell you'll get through to that guy, so i didn't try . . .

I don't know why I do it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:27 pm
Hey Wun. Try not to sound knowledgeable, cause you have no idea of the basis of the entire sequence of cases that led to this point in Pa history.

The fact is that Creationism /ID was indeed invented by churches. It goes back to the 1920's not thousands of years (When there are no competing ideas, there is no comparison basis).

Read some more, then well talk sonny.
0 Replies