Nietzsche

John Creasy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 10:27 am
It is geneology of morals. In the book I have (not with me at the moment) it's on pg 272 out of 299 pages. I have a dual book that contains GOM along with The Birth of Tragedy. So if that helps at all, it's about 20 pages from the end.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 01:32 pm
Found it.

Quote:
Wow! I thought he was describing me here, I must be physiologically incapacitated.

For what it's worth, Physiologisch-Gehemmten translates better as physiologically inhibited. This can be understood as 'those who withhold from themselves their true nature'. As it relates to the passage, Nietzsche is talking about people who are depressed.

Quote:
He said that doing charitable works is a form of this urge to obtain a "minimum superiority." Could you explain that??

He's just saying that doing good enhances one's feeling of power; and that 'love of the neighbor' is a prescripton, a 'tonic', for one's unsatisfaction with life because it excites the will to power.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Quote:
For what it's worth, Physiologisch-Gehemmten translates better as physiologically inhibited. This can be understood as 'those who withhold from themselves their true nature'. As it relates to the passage, Nietzsche is talking about people who are depressed.

That certainly sounds like me.

Quote:

He's just saying that doing good enhances one's feeling of power; and that 'love of the neighbor' is a prescripton, a 'tonic', for one's unsatisfaction with life because it excites the will to power.

Yes, I have certainly experienced this feeling but I haven't really thought about it in that manner. Interesting. What else could one do to excite the will to power?? I'm all about that feeling.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:31 am
John Creasy wrote:
What else could one do to excite the will to power?? I'm all about that feeling.

Loaded question, my friend, loaded question. :wink:
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 02:51 am
Ray wrote:
Is that what leads to subjectivism, like Sartre's?

Leave Sarte out of it. That is, I don't know the first thing about him Razz. But you do draw a nice connection between the world as a 'monster of energy' and subjectivism.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:04 pm
Herr Nietzsche, I've bought both of those books you suggested and I have to admit, my original opinion of Nietzsche was wrong. Although I don't agree with everything (i.e, his atheism), I think he is right about many things. He has definitely made me think in ways I hadn't before. Danke.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:53 pm
Smile
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:48 am
Nietzsche, could you try to explain Nietzsche's view about scientific materialism being as harmful as religious dogma?? I tend to agree with it although I couldn't really explain it well.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
I don't recall anything explicitly about that. But Nietzsche does note that Science rests, just as much as does religion (and philosophy--I would include Nietzsche given his "belief" in the Will to Power as a fundamental characteristic of all reality) on metaphysical presuppositions. I guess he believes (as I do) that scientists should not be considered secular priests of a secular religion. After all, knowledge did not begin with Science. The latter is only the most efficient way to generate conclusions about the physical world that provisionally deserve our confidence.
0 Replies