Nietzsche

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 08:20 pm
I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I'm interested in your opinions on this man. I have just recently read some of his work and although I can't relate to his athiestic view of the world, I find him fascinating. One thing I strongly disagree with him about is his view of pity and compassion. He thought these were negative and unvaluable traits that went against nature. I do think he was a great writer though with a brilliant, albeit disturbed mind. Anyway, I'm just wondering what you guys think.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,892 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:03 pm
He was so gay . . .
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:28 pm
As for the question of pity, Nietzsche's conception of the term is driven by the literal meaning of the German word, Mitleid, which means 'suffering with'. It is along these lines he declares pity a sign of weakness (he who seeks pity asks you to suffer with them) and something that fails to benefit the parties involved (that you pity does not make you good, nor does it effect the pitied). This issue will tie closely with Nietzsche's ethics and as such is vastly more complex than simply this, but that's a basic read of it.

If you're finding yourself interested in Nietzsche, I'd recommend you take a look at What Nietzsche Really Said by Solomon and Higgins before diving straight into Nietzsche himself; it's probably the most accessable of the supplemental Nietzsche texts and will serve as an excellent prelude to future reading.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
Nietzsche wrote:
As for the question of pity, Nietzsche's conception of the term is driven by the literal meaning of the German word, Mitleid, which means 'suffering with'. It is along these lines he declares pity a sign of weakness (he who seeks pity asks you to suffer with them) and something that fails to benefit the parties involved (that you pity does not make you good, nor does it effect the pitied). This issue will tie closely with Nietzsche's ethics and as such is vastly more complex than simply this, but that's a basic read of it.

If you're finding yourself interested in Nietzsche, I'd recommend you take a look at What Nietzsche Really Said by Solomon and Higgins before diving straight into Nietzsche himself; it's probably the most accessable of the supplemental Nietzsche texts and will serve as an excellent prelude to future reading.

Well I'm generally sceptical of books that claim to know exactly what somebody else was thinking.

As far as Nietzsches ethics, I think they are extremely fascist. He adored aristocracy and cleary supported a form of caste system. He pigeonholes anyone who desires peace as weak and impotent. He was clearly a social darwinist. I can certainly see why people give him credit for Nazism.

Is it your opinion that compassion does not help the recipient???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 01:28 pm
That's a gross canard about Nietzsche and the Nazis . . . that was the work of his racist and ultra-nationalist sister . . . This must be a new record, Godwin's Law invoked in fewer than five posts . . .
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:00 pm
Setanta wrote:
That's a gross canard about Nietzsche and the Nazis . . . that was the work of his racist and ultra-nationalist sister . . . This must be a new record, Godwin's Law invoked in fewer than five posts . . .

I didn't say that he was a nazi, I just said it's easy see how people could make that mistake. His view of mankind was very similar to that of the nazis. Social darwinism, contempt for "slave morals", Jews, Christians and anyone who held compassion in high esteem.

BTW, what the hell is Godwins law???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:05 pm
Nietzsche wasn't an antisemite, once again, that was his sister. He collapsed on the street (1911?) and was put into a home. His sister, whom he despised, along with her ultra-nationalist, antisemitic husband, threw it into high gear, and began editing his unpublished notes and drafts, and published them under the title The Will to Power. He certainly was a social troll, and i doubt any of us would have enjoyed his company for very long--but most of the slanders lodged against him result from his sister's concerted effort to pervert his written thoughts to support her husbands agenda. She was very thick with the Nazis, who were always eager to tart up their intellectual poverty . . .

Godwin's Law states:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:41 pm
Setanta wrote:
Nietzsche wasn't an antisemite, once again, that was his sister. He collapsed on the street (1911?) and was put into a home. His sister, whom he despised, along with her ultra-nationalist, antisemitic husband, threw it into high gear, and began editing his unpublished notes and drafts, and published them under the title The Will to Power. He certainly was a social troll, and i doubt any of us would have enjoyed his company for very long--but most of the slanders lodged against him result from his sister's concerted effort to pervert his written thoughts to support her husbands agenda. She was very thick with the Nazis, who were always eager to tart up their intellectual poverty . . .

Godwin's Law states:

As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

He wasn't an anti-semite in the same way as hitler. Hitler viewed the Jews as an inferior race, Nietzsche just despised their beliefs and morals. He might not have desired to see the Jews killed, but he certainly was no friend of the Jews.

"Whatever else has been done to damage the powerful and great of this earth seems trivial compared with what the Jews have done, that priestly people who succeeded in avenging themselves on their enemies and opressors by radically inverting all their values, that is, by an act of the most spiritual vengeance." from The Geneology of Morals
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:50 pm
Whereas i don't subscribe to his analysis, i also do not subscribe to the inferential contention that one must refrain from all criticism of Jews or Judaism lest one be branded an antisemite.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
John Creasy wrote:
Well I'm generally sceptical of books that claim to know exactly what somebody else was thinking.

An honorable stance to be sure, yet a bit strange in present context. If you're not interested in reading other's opinions on Nietzsche, how do you justify creating this thread? That is, if you're skeptical of books written by professional Nietzsche scholars, what interest could you possibly have in the opinions of those on a message board?

Both questions are, of course, rhetorical. They say: I wouldn't recommend a book I didn't feel was accurate and well worth reading. It heads my Listmania (which you may want to check out) at Amazon, for example. It does not claim to 'know exactly' what Nietzsche was thinking; it's a general overview of his thought, presented in a short (only some 200 pages), objective and scholarly manner, whereby the reader is left with as many questions as answers - thus my use of the word prelude at first mention.

Quote:
As far as Nietzsches ethics, I think they are extremely fascist. He adored aristocracy and cleary supported a form of caste system. He pigeonholes anyone who desires peace as weak and impotent. He was clearly a social darwinist. I can certainly see why people give him credit for Nazism.

No offense, but your opinions of Nietzsche's ethics are immaterial (and largely incorrect). My point was to illuminate that his position on pity is tied to a host of other factors - not the least of which are his position on Christianity and his relation to Schopenhauer's philosophy, for example - and would take serious invenstment to fully understand and appreciate. The same holds true with what you say above. You can't just throw out something like "he pigeonholes anyone who desires peace as weak and impotent" and think it's going to stick. Trust me, it's a great deal more complicated than that.

Quote:
Is it your opinion that compassion does not help the recipient???

No.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 04:45 pm
Quote:

An honorable stance to be sure, yet a bit strange in present context. If you're not interested in reading other's opinions on Nietzsche, how do you justify creating this thread? That is, if you're skeptical of books written by professional Nietzsche scholars, what interest could you possibly have in the opinions of those on a message board?

good point, maybe I'll check it out.

Quote:

No offense, but your opinions of Nietzsche's ethics are immaterial (and largely incorrect). My point was to illuminate that his position on pity is tied to a host of other factors - not the least of which are his position on Christianity and his relation to Schopenhauer's philosophy, for example - and would take serious invenstment to fully understand and appreciate. The same holds true with what you say above. You can't just throw out something like "he pigeonholes anyone who desires peace as weak and impotent" and think it's going to stick. Trust me, it's a great deal more complicated than that.

I can see his point about pity although I don't agree with it. But that's only one issue. What's up with his admiration of aristocracy and opressors??? I see his point about the weak thinking only they are good and all that, but he comes across as though anybody who's not agressive and hawkish does not deserve to be anything other than a slave.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:06 am
John Creasy wrote:
I can see his point about pity although I don't agree with it.

It goes without saying, you don't have to agree with anything he, or anyone, says. It's much more important to understand something than it is to cement any "I agree" or "I disagree." That is, if you understand Nietzsche's conception of pity, you're that much closer to understanding your own, that much closer to understanding the concept as a whole as it might apply, for example, in a future discussion. Nietzsche, on the whole, is much more about self-exploration, as he has his mouthpiece Zarathustra say: "Go away from me, and turn yourselves against me"; or in Ecce Homo: "...I want no believers."

Quote:
What's up with his admiration of aristocracy and opressors???

Nietzsche's 'aristocracy' simply states the strong should lead, the weak should follow. In layman's terms, it's 'get in where you fit in.' It's often overlooked, for example, Nietzsche was rather fond of Jesus. What happened to him? Nietzsche would say Jesus' crucifixion was abhorrent; that in times when great leadership emerges, humanity is all-too-quick in dishonoring, misrepresenting, and ultimately dismissing such leadership.

'Opressive' is a relative term, especially when considering Nietzsche's perspectivism. One could argue, for example, 'opression' is a mere fiction fabricated by the weak in ressentiment of the powerful. "Your life is yours to create"; "Become who you are": one's feeling 'opressed' would be, for Nietzsche, unequivocally weak. The 'opressors', then, would be only those who had established themselves as those in the proper position of rule.

Quote:
...he comes across as though anybody who's not agressive and hawkish does not deserve to be anything other than a slave.

I don't exactly disagree with this; though I'd make a subtle correction: anybody who's not aggressive and hawkish does not deserve to be anything other than what they are. Conversely, those who make those strides toward becoming what they are - disregarding social norms, moral prejudice, and the like - are justified in their Being.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:35 am
Nietzsche wrote:

I'm starting to really like Nietzsche. And this has sparked an interest in the German language.

Mitleid. Suffering with. This is what I have always called 'idiot compassion'. Now I have a real word for it.

Nietzsche,
Do you know if this term "mitleid" is rooted in German ethics historically? If you have the time or inclination, I would appreciate a point in the correct direction as far as learning more about ethics and the German language.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 01:50 am
flushd wrote:
Do you know if this term "mitleid" is rooted in German ethics historically? If you have the time or inclination, I would appreciate a point in the correct direction as far as learning more about ethics and the German language.

I really wish I could tell you something - that is, I'm flattered you asked - but no, I have no idea about that. My German is limited, let alone my knowledge of German etymology - sorry. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:14 am
You can find online - but only in German - the summary of doctor thesis: Mitleid in der Ethik. Zu Geschichte und Problem eines vernachlässigten Prinzips ("Mitleid in ethics. About the history and problems of a neglected problem.")

According to the Grimm'sche Wörterbuch, Mitleid first was noted in the 17th century, meaning "taking part on someone's sufferings".
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 02:25 am
Thank you N. for giving an honest answer.

Thank you Walter. Unfortunately, I can't speak German. That gives me some direction in where to go though.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:54 am
Nietzsche wrote:

Nietzsche's 'aristocracy' simply states the strong should lead, the weak should follow. In layman's terms, it's 'get in where you fit in.' It's often overlooked, for example, Nietzsche was rather fond of Jesus. What happened to him? Nietzsche would say Jesus' crucifixion was abhorrent; that in times when great leadership emerges, humanity is all-too-quick in dishonoring, misrepresenting, and ultimately dismissing such leadership.

I suppose I'm somewhat of an anarchist in this way. I don't like the notion of being "ruled" by anyone. I would support a form of minimal state goverment because I don't believe that anyone has the right to control anyone else. Nietzsche's view of aristocracy is exactly what the founder's of this country sought to abolish.

Quote:
'Opressive' is a relative term, especially when considering Nietzsche's perspectivism. One could argue, for example, 'opression' is a mere fiction fabricated by the weak in ressentiment of the powerful. "Your life is yours to create"; "Become who you are": one's feeling 'opressed' would be, for Nietzsche, unequivocally weak. The 'opressors', then, would be only those who had established themselves as those in the proper position of rule.

So in other words, it's ok to take advantage of people as long as they don't fight back. Typical tyrannical arrogance. Again, this goes against everything this country stands for.

Quote:
anybody who's not aggressive and hawkish does not deserve to be anything other than what they are. Conversely, those who make those strides toward becoming what they are - disregarding social norms, moral prejudice, and the like - are justified in their Being.

Nobody is 100% strong or 100% weak. Everybody has strenghths and weaknesses. Myself for instance, I don't like confrontation. On a day to day basis, I am very easy-going and try to get along with everybody because, for one that's how I was raised, and also because I just think that's the right way to be as a human being towards fellow human beings. With that said, if I really feel threatened or if someone really pushes me, I can become very agressive and hostile.

Of course some are stronger than others but the notion that these people should be free to do what they wish with regards to others is bullsh!t in my opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 09:00 am
You keep conflating "should be" with "are," JC. Nietzsche does not necessarily say the strong should lead, he just points out that by constitution, they do. Those who create ostensibly democratic institutions to protect "the weak" from minoritarian or majoritarian tyranny are in fact taking power and using it for their ends exactly as Nietzsche describes.

I don't accept that making observations on what is constitutes a statement that things are as they should be.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:39 am
Setanta wrote:

Those who create ostensibly democratic institutions to protect "the weak" from minoritarian or majoritarian tyranny are in fact taking power and using it for their ends exactly as Nietzsche describes.

Yes, in a way, you are right but even the founders of this country had no desire to "rule" over people. They abhorred the very principles that Nieztsche admires as noble. I'm quite sure that he would have counted the founders as "reactive" as opposed to his ideal "active."

Quote:
I don't accept that making observations on what is constitutes a statement that things are as they should be.

But are things really like that?? Is he really "just making an observation" to how things are or is he endorsing what he views as natural?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:46 am
I did not assert that he is correct, but yes, i think he was making what he thought was a cogent observation about how the world works.

It is important to remember that his views were conditioned by his study of philology, rather than philosophy. He was often not dealing in a philosophical speculation as he was attempting to define the terms of the reality of the world. Which, once again, is not a contention that he was correct--or that he was not.
0 Replies