What the Hell is Up with "Proof of God"?

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
wandeljw wrote:
There is a legendary "clip" involving bella and shewolf.

Shocked

Embarrassed

Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:51 am
Setanta wrote:
Attempts to point out that atheism can be and often is simply a refusal to accept contentions about the existence of any deity, rather than a denial of the possibility of a deity were ignored, or characterized as agnosticism which the "unrealized" agnostic would not admit.

The funny thing, Setanta, was that with Frank's hammering, I softened my position somewhat. For years, I had considered myself an atheist. Frank got me to realize that although there is no reason to believe that there is a higher power, it is foolish to dismiss the entire concept out of hand. Right now I have no reason to believe...........there is not a scintilla of proof. That does not mean that in the future, as humanity learns more about the universe that we inhabit, that the mysteries of the world will be revealed to us. I suspect though, that whatever there is, it is definitely NOT the being as described in the bible.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:52 am
Bella Dea wrote:
How Hot...

What is this? This is seriously the stuff I can't stand about A2K now. What is this?

u r mean, bella!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:53 am
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
As far as having my point of view ridiculed, I take that as victory by default.

Diana Mertz Hsieh's definition of ad hominem: "rejecting or dismissing another person's statement by attacking the person rather than by disproving the statement." SOURCE

Your position is fallacious by the very definition you provide. If someone ridicules your point of view, you have "won" nothing. Ridiculing your point of view is not a personal attack, it does not constitute an ad hominem. Follow along closely, and i'll go slowly:

"Your point of view is idiotic, and without reasonable foundation."--is not an ad hominem.

"You eat poop sammiches and howl at the moon, why should anyone believe you?"--is an ad hominem.

As for your sense of humor, you demonstrated that you were depraved from the day one.
OH yeah!

Well, you have dog breath!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:53 am
wandeljw wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
How Hot...

What is this? This is seriously the stuff I can't stand about A2K now. What is this?

u r mean, bella!

whatever! u dont have no idea what mean is wandel! ur a poopie head.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:56 am
Momm...eeee- Bella called wandeljw a poopiehead! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:57 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
That does not mean that in the future, as humanity learns more about the universe that we inhabit, that the mysteries of the world will be revealed to us.

Abso-tively . . . i can see no reason to believe that there are such mysteries which will be revealed to us.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 09:59 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Momm...eeee- Bella called wandeljw a poopiehead! Laughing

<<thwap!>>

take that u doodie face!

Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:01 am
neologist wrote:
OH yeah!

Well, you have dog breath!

Sottises, sottises, sottises . . .

You peddle tautologies . . . of course i have dog breath . . .

(insert appropriate "rolly-eyed" emoticon here)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:01 am
Thank you for maintaining the high standards of this board, Bella.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:04 am
Setanta wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
That does not mean that in the future, as humanity learns more about the universe that we inhabit, that the mysteries of the world will be revealed to us.

Abso-tively . . . i can see no reason to believe that there are such mysteries which will be revealed to us.
What could this mean?

That there are no mysteries?

That what we learn will not be considered to have been a mystery?

That we won't learn anything?

You guys are just to smart for me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:11 am
You misspelled "too." What it means is, that i was quickly taking advantage of what appears to me to be an error in how Phoenix expressed herself, before she realized it and had a chance to edit.

Did you look up sottise yet?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:13 am
Quote:
What could this mean?

neologist- Just think about it. Think about what people knew of the universe 500, 400, 100, even 50 years ago. If you could go back in time and talk to a person who lived centuries ago, I would bet that he would be absolutely shocked by what we know today.

For Pete's sake, in 1492 most people thought that the earth was flat, until Columbus proved them wrong. Many religionists believe that there are things that are supernatural, and unknowable. I believe that everything in this universe is natural, and if humanity does not blow ourselves up to smithereens, eventually people will have an understanding of the entire workings of the universe. (But definitely NOT in our lifetimes.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:22 am
DrewDad wrote:
Thank you for maintaining the high standards of this board, Bella.

Again, always a pleasure for you. :wink:
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:27 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
For Pete's sake, in 1492 most people thought that the earth was flat, until Columbus proved them wrong.

Actually, navigators knew that the Earth was round; they were just unable to determine how big it was. Columbus was wrong; he thought the Earth was much smaller than it actually is. Witness his naming of Native Americans as "Indians."

Others were wrong, too, they thought the Earth was much larger and that there was no way to carry enough provisions to reach Asia.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:28 am
Magellan's crew almost proved them right--they were eating the leather in the ships' rigging by the time they reach what became known as the Philippine Islands.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:30 am
Quote:
Actually, navigators knew that the Earth was round; they were just unable to determine how big it was. Columbus was wrong; he thought the Earth was much smaller than it actually is. Witness his naming of Native Americans as "Indians."

Others were wrong, too, they thought the Earth was much larger and that there was no way to carry enough provisions to reach Asia.

DrewDad- So what does that have to do with anything? I was just giving an illustration of the things that we take for granted, that people were unaware of in the past.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:34 am
Do I have to have a point? This is in the religion section, right?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:23 am
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

What could this mean?

That there are no mysteries?

That what we learn will not be considered to have been a mystery?

That we won't learn anything?

You guys are just to smart for me.
Setanta wrote:
You misspelled "too."
OOPS!
Setanta wrote:
What it means is, that i was quickly taking advantage of what appears to me to be an error in how Phoenix expressed herself, before she realized it and had a chance to edit.
I knew that
Setanta wrote:
Not yet; but later.
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
What could this mean?
neologist- Just think about it. Think about what people knew of the universe 500, 400, 100, even 50 years ago. If you could go back in time and talk to a person who lived centuries ago, I would bet that he would be absolutely shocked by what we know today.

For Pete's sake, in 1492 most people thought that the earth was flat, until Columbus proved them wrong. Many religionists believe that there are things that are supernatural, and unknowable. I believe that everything in this universe is natural, and if humanity does not blow ourselves up to smithereens, eventually people will have an understanding of the entire workings of the universe. (But definitely NOT in our lifetimes.)
OK. . . I'm with you on that.
Setanta wrote:
Magellan's crew almost proved them right--they were eating the leather in the ships' rigging by the time they reach what became known as the Philippine Islands.
Setanta wrote:
OK, now I looked it up.

You misspelled 'reached'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 11:25 am
I'll get ya for that . . .
0 Replies