The CIA's "Prison of Darkness"

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:58 pm
Quote:
Eight detainees now held at Guantánamo described to their attorneys how they were held at a facility near Kabul at various times between 2002 and 2004. The detainees, who called the facility the "dark prison" or "prison of darkness," said they were chained to walls, deprived of food and drinking water, and kept in total darkness with loud rap, heavy metal music, or other sounds blared for weeks at a time.

The detainees offer consistent accounts about the facility, saying that U.S. and Afghan guards were not in uniform and that U.S. interrogators did not wear military attire, which suggests that the prison may have been operated by personnel from the Central Intelligence Agency.

The detainees said U.S. interrogators slapped or punched them during interrogations. They described being held in complete darkness for weeks on end, shackled to rings bolted into the walls of their cells, with loud music or other sounds played continuously. Some detainees said they were shackled in a manner that made it impossible to lie down or sleep, with restraints that caused their hands and wrists to swell up or bruise. The detainees said they were deprived of food for days at a time, and given only filthy water to drink.

Quote:
Benyam Mohammad, an Ethiopian-born Guantánamo detainee who grew up in Britain, said he was held at the "dark prison" in 2004 and described his experience to his attorney in English:

It was pitch black no lights on in the rooms for most of the time.... They hung me up. I was allowed a few hours of sleep on the second day, then hung up again, this time for two days. My legs had swollen. My wrists and hands had gone numb.... There was loud music, [Eminem's] "Slim Shady" and Dr. Dre for 20 days.... [Then] they changed the sounds to horrible ghost laughter and Halloween sounds. [At one point, I was] chained to the rails for a fortnight.... The CIA worked on people, including me, day and night.... Plenty lost their minds. I could hear people knocking their heads against the walls and the doors, screaming their heads off.

J.K., another detainee (name withheld at attorney's request), also alleged that he had been held in the dark, shackled to the wall and subjected to weeks of sleep deprivation and constant loud music and noise, as well as being beaten during interrogations. "People were screaming in pain and crying all the time," he told his attorney.

Much more: http://www.hrw.org/english/docs/2005/12/19/afghan12319.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,639 • Replies: 10
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:04 pm
Re: The CIA's "Prison of Darkness"
I should note, since there always seems to be confusion on my position, that since these seem to be low-level detainees, I think it was wrong to torture them.

I'm all for making this place the permanent home of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed however.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:05 pm
The loud heavy metal metal and rap music would have broken me in a heartbeat.

I hate this is happening. Torture is just not right.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:20 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
The loud heavy metal metal and rap music would have broken me in a heartbeat.

Not me. I'd have done some proper headbanging. Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 09:21 pm
LOL. I'm a little old for the heavy metal. I'm into country these days.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 04:52 pm
oralloy wrote:
I should note, since there always seems to be confusion on my position, that since these seem to be low-level detainees, I think it was wrong to torture them.

Are saying it would be okay to torture them if they where high level detainess??
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:19 pm
If true it is a national disgrace and we are no better than the people we are fighting. . Thank you George Bush.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:54 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
LOL. I'm a little old for the heavy metal. I'm into country these days.

I'm a little old for it too. Laughing I'd probably sprain half a dozen neck muscles if I tried any real head-banging today. I could probably manage that wimpy head-bobbing that Hollywood always depicts as head-banging though.

But if I were a detainee I'd definitely put in a request for more intense music, for old times sake. Post-sellout Metallica is OK (sometimes they play "Enter Sandman" to the detainees), but I'd rather hear some pre-1990 Metallica and Megadeth.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:54 pm
stevewonder wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Are saying it would be okay to torture them if they where high level detainess??

Depends on the organization they are in.

Membership in al-Qa'ida results in automatic forfeiture of all human rights in my opinion. Therefore, I see no moral problem with torturing members of al-Qa'ida.

However, there is a practical problem with torture, which is that it results in poor intelligence.

However this downside is offset, in the case of high level detainees, by my enjoyment of their suffering. Therefore I think high level al-Qa'ida detainees should be tortured non-stop.

High level detainees from another organization (say high level Iraqi detainees) should not be tortured. We should only be torturing members of al-Qa'ida.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:57 pm
au1929 wrote:
If true it is a national disgrace and we are no better than the people we are fighting. . Thank you George Bush.

Personally, I'd rather annihilate al-Qa'ida than feel like I was better than them.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 06:54 pm
0 Replies