• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fresco

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 02:40 am
Coberst,

Again this plea for an intellectual upgrade !

1. Simple statstics imply that so-called "intellectuals" constitute less than 10% of the population.

2. Your"intellectual virus" is severely impeded by its rival for "rationality" the "religion virus".

3. Most of non-Western society is too preoccupied with obtaining the necessities of life to worry about "the future of mankind".

Sorry to be pessimistic but I do not feel your exercises in "self progress reinforcement" have any bearing on social reality.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:07 am
fresco wrote-

Quote:
1. Simple statstics imply that so-called "intellectuals" constitute less than 10% of the population.

Blimey!That's 6 million in GB.No chance.1% max.I know you said "less" but the 10 will stick in the mind.Should help you be popular though.

Quote:
2. Your"intellectual virus" is severely impeded by its rival for "rationality" the "religion virus".

What about the consumption virus.The lazy virus.The selfish virus.The stupidity virus.The aggression virus.The stubborn virus.The class virus.
The religion virus seems quite tame to me compared to these and no doubt a few others.And the religion virus works in ways not always appreciated.

Quote:
3. Most of non-Western society is too preoccupied with obtaining the necessities of life to worry about "the future of mankind".

I would knock the "non-Western" out of that.

I'm reading Raymond Williams' book Modern Tragedy.You might like it fresco.A benchmark for "bleak".
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 01:26 pm
0 Replies