Why I Am Avoiding the Religion Forum on A2K

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:36 am
If you're looking for a fight, you can find it here, for sure. But there are a few topics on the board which do not seem to draw as much contention or ridicule.

I've noticed they are avoided conspicuously by some members.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 10:42 am
BBB wrote:
People advocating certain religious and political doctrines which facilitate great harm is when I draw the line. As long as their beliefs are personal and harmless, they can do and say what they want.

When they hurt me, those I care about, and my country, my tolerance goes out the window. I used to be the most religiously tolerant person you could imagine. But no more, religious radicals have lost their right to my respect.

I hear ya' sister. Well said.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
If we can't discuss these topics here, why have a forum at all?

I am all for discussion, even heated discussion. I think though that when a person feels attacked on a subject such as their most strongly held beliefs, there is a tendency to flail out emotionally, rather than stick to the subject at hand.

Edgar, remember, in the old days, the saying that you didn't discuss sex, politics or religion in polite company? Gratefully, we have evolved to the point where we can discuss sex without having the "vapors", but I think that we still have a ways to go with politics and religion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:40 am
Phoenix; have you met nancyann?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:43 am
neologist wrote:

I have just skimmed a couple of her posts. I will take another look!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:50 am
Lash wrote:
squinney wrote:
Same here. I came to the same conclusion, Pheonix, when I realized defending my beliefs was more self preservation than being right. I was afraid to hear the other side for fear of being wrong and I needed to be right at that time.

Growth can really suck.

Growth is always a decision against Christianity?

From what you said in a more recent response to me-- if growth is not always a decision against Christianity, than the fear you speak of is some non-Christians, who are afraid to hear the opposing opinion--due to fear that they may discover they've been wrong?

Just want to clarify your meaning.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:53 am
Quote:
I once wrote that I believed that A2K was the world in microcosm. I do believe that I am seeing, in miniature, the same sorts of things that are pulling nations apart, and I don't like it at all.

agree
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:58 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I am all for discussion, even heated discussion. I think though that when a person feels attacked on a subject such as their most strongly held beliefs, there is a tendency to flail out emotionally, rather than stick to the subject at hand.

Edgar, remember, in the old days, the saying that you didn't discuss sex, politics or religion in polite company? Gratefully, we have evolved to the point where we can discuss sex without having the "vapors", but I think that we still have a ways to go with politics and religion.

It is that tendency which people seem to have to derail from the starting topic which keeps me out of certain areas and often makes me cease posting in a topic which was of interest. If it goes into the negative areas or castigation of individuals for having their own thoughts I really have no stomach to deal with it and I make my exit and unless a particular post grabs hold of me I say nothing more on that original starter topic.

Oh egads! you mentioned sex, I'm feel...ing.... woozy...quick get me my vapors!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:58 am
Phoenix,

I was thinking about you yesterday and the fact that I have not seen you for awhile. I was going to send you a PM today asking about your. I am glad to know you are still out there.

I have to agree with you, Phoenix. Unfortunately, I have gotten into arguments with others and those arguments have not been productive.

I appreciate what you have posted here. I hope all of us that post in the Spirituality & Religion threads take heed to what you are saying.

It's good to see you, my friend!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 11:59 am
Per Phoenix's threadstarter-- I used to mostly avoid religion threads, because I think little good can come of disagreeing about how a person believes.

You really can't (and should you...?) convince someone else to abandon their views and adopt yours. It's nice to SHARE different views. Quite an education--but jostling for pre-eminence and being attacked on the periphery by atheists and agnostics isn't a good way for a believer of any flavor to spend an afternoon.

Still. Some of these statements make me too curious not to ask.

I don't like prosletizing (sp) on the board, either. Just me, I guess. It's almost as bad as insulting someone's religion--which shouldn't be confused with insulting abusive tenets of a religion.

A landmine, at best.

(But, I have had fun the last few days, just being able to talk about spiritual beliefs and opinions in a marginally peaceful environment.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:04 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
neologist wrote:

I have just skimmed a couple of her posts. I will take another look!

She'd like to get in touch w/you, Phoenix - see This Post if you wanna follow up w/her.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:04 pm
The Christians put themselves in the crosshairs when they decided to become a political party and push for a Christian Theocracy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:08 pm
Every thread has its gratuitous posts. The religion threads have had more than their share, especially this last several days. So what? It all regains equilibrium after a bit. It will never be like a genteel day soaking little biscuits in tea and droning on about how are you fine how are you the weather's going to change and I have to buy those little shoes to match my i-pod. Get over it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
Stevepax wrote:
The Christians put themselves in the crosshairs when they decided to become a political party and push for a Christian Theocracy.

Christians have no less right to seek political power than lesbians, senior citizens or labor unions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:17 pm
I've been looking around a bit, and there are some relatively quiet discussions in the S and R forums. Only about four or five have been all that rowdy. Tempest in a teapot.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:31 pm
timber- Just went through Nancyann's thread. She seems like a very lovely, intelligent person, who has really found her niche in life.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:35 pm
She seems sincere, that's for sure. I like what I've seen of her style. Don't need to mention I don't come from the same theologic perspective she does, but I've enjoyed reading her posts and interacting with her. I'm purposely being gentle with her Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:37 pm
timber- You're such a pussycat! :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:37 pm
Shocked

Timbers soft side is showing.

That's a good, boy. Yes, you are. You're a good boy, Timber.

(Rubbing his belly.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 12:50 pm
squinney wrote:
That's a good, boy. Yes, you are. You're a good boy, Timber.

(Rubbing his belly.)

<hindleg>ThumpThumpThumpThumpThump!</hindleg>

Cool - now, gimme a treat Laughing
0 Replies