Remove my checking account number from the priority system?

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:22 pm
Well, this is a first. I just got a phone call from someone named Hayes who knew my first name.

He said that he wanted to remove my checking account number from the priority system. Shocked

What should I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 916 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:25 pm
Tell him to go spit up a rope, unless you know exactly who he is and what he is doing. See if your bank knows who he is.

What the heck, I know your first name, as far as that goes.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:29 pm
Rog, I just told him I didn't know who he was or what he was talking about. It gave me a start. I will call my banks, but that is scary.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:31 pm
He was probably phishing for your account information.

Even if he/she knew your account number, it wouldn't mean much. How often do vendors ask for your phone number and driver's license number to put on a check? And how many hands does that check pass through?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:32 pm
Call the bank. They'd know if it was legit and if they don't, put a red flag out on your account to watch for fraud.

I hope it's nothing.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:53 pm
I did a reverse dialing thing, and they couldn't give me the number. I also called my banks and alerted them to the situation. They were very reassuring.

Thank you, Rog, DrewDad and Bella. I guess all is well, but it is quite perplexing. What did they hope to gain?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
we have developed the habit of replying to any request for such or similar information or offers of credit cards with a quick : "no , thank you ! " and hang up immediately . usually we don't even give the caller the chance to end the spiel .
now that it's winter and the sun sets by five o'clock , we also do not open our door when it gets dark unless we know someone is coming to visit .
unfortunately , one has to become more careful all the time .
after we had a breakin some years ago, we decided to be a little more careful in our daily lives - too bad . hbg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:09 pm
Can you believe I called him, "honey"? Rolling Eyes

I understand, hamburger. Don't blame you, either.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:19 pm
If they can gain enough info, they can work tricks on the bank, wire money, print fake checks (although it's easier to steal pre-printed checks from mailboxes), etc.

Identity theft is definitely a big issue.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
I know, DrewDad. Not much else that I can do, however, except what I did.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:26 pm
called him "honey" did ya', I 'm very upset to hear this from you lettybetty.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:44 pm
Well, honey. It just slipped out. <smile>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:33 pm
Letty wrote:
I know, DrewDad. Not much else that I can do, however, except what I did.

I figured you did; I was discussing, not lecturing. Wink

Not that I haven't been known to lecture....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:39 pm
You're clever, DrewDad. I knew that you weren't, honey.

Well, Guess I'll say goodnight. Thanks, everyone for your input.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:49 pm
Re: Remove my checking account number from the priority syst
Letty wrote:
Well, this is a first. I just got a phone call from someone named Hayes who knew my first name.

He said that he wanted to remove my checking account number from the priority system. Shocked

What should I do?

Dear Letty - you've already done the right thing. Hate to say it, but the first thing that crossed my mind when I read this, is that someone was hoping Bud did the banking and that you wouldn't be up to speed on financial things.

Be careful, and take good care of yourself, Miss hettybettylettycustisLee.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 06:19 am
ehBeth, for someone who NEVER had any instruction in financial matters, I really have been pretty good at overseeing and maintaining the vault. My word, honey. I have done all the major stuff for years. One doesn't let musicians take care of these things, but you are right. Whoever contrived that hoax probably thought the same as you.

God, I hate dealing with numbers, but I guess I will have to get a pin number now.
0 Replies