Cookies

vinsan

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:44 am
Sometime we are too set in our point of view and look at only what our mind (conditioning) makes us believe, which does not necessarily have to be the truth.

Imagine you are in London's Heathrow Airport. While you're waiting for your flight, you notice a kiosk selling cookies. You buy a box, put them in your traveling bag and then you patiently search for an available seat so you can sit down and enjoy your cookies.

Finally you find a seat next to a gentleman. You reach down into your traveling bag and pull out your box of cookies. As you do so, you notice that the gentleman starts watching you intensely.

He stares as you open the box and his eyes follow your hand as you pick up the cookie and bring it to your mouth. Just then he reaches over and takes one of your cookies from the box, and eats it! You' are more than a little surprised at this. Actually, you're at a loss for words. Not only does he take one cookie, but also alternates with you. For every one cookie you take, he takes one.

Now, what's your immediate impression of this guy? Crazy? Greedy?

He's got some nerve! Can you imagine the words you might use to describe this man to your associates back at the office?
Meanwhile, you both continue eating the cookies until there's just one left.

To your surprise, the man reaches over and takes it. But then he does something unexpected. He breaks it in half, and gives half to you. After he's finished with his half he gets up, and without a word, he leaves.

You think to yourself, "Do this really happen?" You're left sitting there dumbfounded and still hungry. So you go back to the kiosk and buy another box of cookies. You then return to your seat and begin opening your new box of cookies when you glance down into your traveling bag.

Sitting there in your bag is your original box of cookies - still unopened. Only then do you realize that when you reached down earlier, you had reached into the other man's bag, and grabbed his box of cookies by mistake.

Now what do you think of the man? Generous? Tolerant? You've just experienced a profound paradigm shift. You're seeing things from a new point of view.

Is it time to change your point of view? Now, think of this story as it relates to your life.

Things may not be what they seem. Don't pay too much attention to what you're already seeing...pay it to what you're missing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 705 • Replies: 12
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:02 am
I enjoyed this humorous little story. I don't see that it has a practically applicable moral, though...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:10 am
the moral of this story,
the moral of this song,
is simply that one should
never be, where one does not
belong.
0 Replies

Deler

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:54 pm
I don't see any apparent moral to the story until you can put it into your life where it has meaning, that is if theres any way to know what your missing
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 05:28 pm
That was a nice story.
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 02:29 am
I do see the moral of the story, read between the lines.:wink:
I had to read it twice, tho, to understand it fully.. the first time I just thought it was a nice story too.

I think Vinsan -correct me if I'm wrong- wants to say that you shouldn't judge something, or some one, at first sight, as most people do. Because things aren't always what they seem.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:41 am
I once sat next to a man from Holland on a flight to the US and he told me this story as if it had happened to him. I think he did it just to make conversation. Was it moral for him to lie?
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:58 am
is it a lie? or just a bow of the truth? And, if you had a long conversation; then I suppose it was moral, since the two of you had a good conversation..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:04 am
That true? End justifies the means?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:19 am
I'd have done the sonuvabitch an injury when he snagged the first cookie . . . then i'd have asked myself what the Hell i was doin' in London . . .
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:19 am
Quote:
That true? End justifies the means?

Tell me; what is true? what is untrue? what is good? what is bad?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:24 am
This thread reminded me of a song from H.M.S. Pinafore, by Gilbert and Sullivan:

Quote:
Things are seldom what they seem,
Skim milk masquerades as cream;
Highlows pass as patent leathers;
Jackdaws strut in peacock's feathers.
Very true,
So they do

Black sheep dwell in every fold;
All that glitters is not gold;
Storks turn out to be but logs;
Bulls are but inflated frogs.
So they be,
Frequentlee.

I think that the cookie tale was a great story, with a very relevent moral. It illustrates nicely that one must understand the context of something before one makes a judgment of it. Often misunderstandings and misperceptions emerge out of a faulty evaluation of a situation.
0 Replies

List0ric

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:34 am
that's exacly what I said. I think the mystery is solved x)
0 Replies