Who needs phylosophy?

IamWell

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:36 am
I shall make a statement here based on my experience, and would be interested to know what other people think on that score.

To me, people engage in philosophizing when they are either UNHAPPY, HAVE NOTHING TO DO or want to IMPRESS others Laughing

And what do YOU think? Cool

IamWell
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,292 • Replies: 57
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:41 am
My doctor told me that I need a phylosophy but I'm trying to be philosophical about it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
phylosophers might need some phylosophy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
Don't know but some of us need spelling.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:17 pm
Iamwell,

I notice your Cambridge address, which brings to mind the celebrated Goon show exchange:

NEDDY: Isn't that a Cambridge tie you're wearing?
ECCLES:Yup !
NEDDY: What were you doing at Cambridge ?
ECCLES: Buying this tie !
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:55 pm
I don't know if we need phylosophy, but we certainly need philosophy.
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:12 pm
I have no doubt that every philosopher is unhappy, at least occasionally, because everyone is unhappy at some time or other. The absence of unhappiness is a major cause of failure to appreciate happiness.

People who have nothing to do, always find something to do whether it be to philosophise or pick their nose or just grumble.

As for impressing folks I suspect that the absence of major conclusive findings [except from a handful of now famous people] would fail to impress many.

I suggest you try philosophising yourself; perhaps on the subject of why you do not philosophise about anything.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
I wonder, is it because we have nothing to do that we do something? Confused
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 03:21 pm
Ray wrote:
I wonder, is it because we have nothing to do that we do something? Confused

Thus masturbation was discovered.
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:21 pm
Doing absolutely nothing is very, very difficult!

I suspect it is impossible, unless asleep or otherwise unconcious.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:56 pm
LMAO Laughing phylosophy

That just ruins it! I can't make a reasonable argument; I can't even catch my breath http://www.discussanything.com/forums/images/smilies/rofl.gif
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:41 pm
I believe the correct spelling is PHYLLOsophy.

It has something to do with baklava.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:10 pm
You could be right Grayfan, I crave baklava when I'm unhappy.
0 Replies

IamWell

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 05:07 am
So far the BEST ANSWERS are:

1) Ray: "I wonder, is it because we have nothing to do that we do something?" - Bravo, Ray!

2) Dagmaraka: "philosophers might need some philosophy" - yeh, that earn money by doing this! Very Happy

Rhymer: "I have no doubt that every philosopher is unhappy, at least occasionally, because everyone is unhappy at some time or other. The absence of unhappiness is a major cause of failure to appreciate happiness."

Fair comment, quite hard to disagree. :wink:
However, what I actually meant, Rhymer, is that although on average the general formula

LIFE=50% Happiness+50% Unhappiness

applies, some people are more unhappy than others, and THESE are precisely the kind of people that are kin to engage in philopshical debates, in particular to earn recognition and appreciation, or at least to fill their loneliness.

With regard to your suggestion "I suggest you try philosophising yourself; perhaps on the subject of why you do not philosophise about anything":

I am DONE with philosophising, since I have come to the state in which the "fundamental" questions DO NOT not arise. I am quite self-sufficient and immensely enjoy my way of living.

So why am I here? TO SHARE with those who are still looking, who want to STOP the search and reach the state of inner peace and self-sufficiency. However, I am not going to engage in any disputes. That's NOT what I am here for.

IamWell
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:34 am
Iamwell,

Interesting predominance of the word "I" there.

Perhaps "it" might consider whether "happiness" and "unhapiness" are contingent on which of the multifarious "selves" in its head is in temporary charge of the committee....ah, but that would be philosophy wouldn't it , which the current chairman doesn't do ! Or perhaps the current chaiman considers itself to be in transendent mode where "self" and "recognition needs" no longer apply?

In the event of regime change, "it" might like to consider Wittgenstein as a worthy proponent of "anti-philosophy".

Keep us posted.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 09:42 am
IunconvincinglyallegethatIamwell wrote:
I am DONE with philosophising, since I have come to the state in which the "fundamental" questions DO NOT not arise. I am quite self-sufficient and immensely enjoy my way of living.

One doubts the need for such an exercise as this at all, were the above actually true. Either that, or one suspects a desire on your part to crow about your alleged heightened state of existence.
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:31 am
Ray wrote:
I don't know if we need phylosophy, but we certainly need philosophy.

couldn't of said it better myself
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 10:39 am
Setanta,

Good point !

Even though he claims he is here for the benefit of others, most meditators see the futility of attempting to communicate the essence of the transcendent state.
0 Replies

rhymer

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:12 pm
disputes....??
Hi Iamwell,

Now, I understand why you made your opening comments - thank you.

I didn't agree with your generalisation and stated why. I hate arguments but love discusssion and am willing to accept gladly that each of us has our own view on all things - usually based on our own experience, time available, reasoning powers, etc., etc.

I do enjoy philosophising.
I am not short of things to do, I am happy, and I have not the slightest desire to impress anyone.
It is good to see that you are content with your approach to life too, and I wish you well.
It is good for all to review their lives as you have done, and to choose those things which provide peace of mind for the individual (as long as it's not at the expense of others). It is the one area where Governments have minimal reach !!!!
0 Replies

IamWell

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:38 am
It sounds like this community has been stirred up a little, hasn't it?? ))) What a pleasure to see people going out of their nutshells, leaving their safety (even if reluctantly), showing their true feelings and thoughts instead of chewing over banal truths and riding along the well-trodden paths. ))))

First of all, I want to let you know that will NOT be answering any attempts of insults, accusations and suspicions - neither this time, no later. I think people who throw them should know that those only characterise YOU from a certain angle, but most importantly as people who do not respect themselves. However, I do hope some day you will learn to do that.

I never said I am here for YOUR benefit only, I always do things first for MY OWN benefit and then (and only then!) for someone's else, since as I said before I am self-sufficient, and one of the aspects of being self-sufficient is an absence of need to impress others or seek their approval.

And yes, I did came here to SHARE, but NOT to TEACH, since there are things that can't be taught. I don't think this urge can be adequately explained, I guess there is a kind of knowledge which is very difficult to keep for oneself. Having said that, I am NOT going to convince or persuade anyone to do anything, not even to listen to what I say. This is UP TO YOU what you do with what I tell you, it's YOUR choice.

Rhymer, I appreciate your disagreement with the points I made, and that brings me to realise another important point that I have missed:

People Philosophise To Feel Their Own Significance
(even if only in their own eyes), in other words to prove themselves how clever, intelligent, smart etc. they are, and/or it makes people feel special as if they were touching upon the "deepest secrets of the universe", revealing the "absolute truths" to themselves and humanity etc.

Is that why YOU like philosophising?

I am not asking you to answer me or others (although I wouldn't mind to know), this is more a question for you to ponder upon and give an honest answer to yourself.

I also would like to throw in one thought for you: if somebody or something would make you realise that there is no such thing as knowledge, or in other words your philosophising is not leading you and/or others anywhere, but rather is simple walking in circles, would this change your attitude to philosophising and how?

You also said:
"It is good for all to review their lives as you have done, and to choose those things which provide peace of mind for the individual (as long as it's not at the expense of others)".

Do you think that really is possible? Aren't we always do things at the expense (if not in a material way, than certainly in mental) of others in one way or another?

I find that a very good way to take care of others' needs is to live up to your own truths and let others do the same, but we can't possibly account for everyone's needs and interests, or can we??

IamWell
0 Replies