Liberal Christian vs. Conservative Christian

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 03:50 pm
Hi, Linkat. Comments about "The Church" usually refer to the early Christian church of the 4th through 15th centuries when dogma and doctrine was controlled by the Catholic Church. With the exception of the Eastern Orthodox schism in the 11th century there was no other game in Christianity until the Reformation (unless you count the Uniterians who have remained a small liberal faith since the earliest days of Christianity). Christian faiths of today are various offshoots of the early Church.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:03 pm
J_B wrote:
... unless you count the Uniterians who have remained a small liberal faith since the earliest days of Christianity...

Martin Cellarius (1499-1564), a friend of Luther, is usually thought to have been the "first literary pioneer" of the movement, while Michael Servetus (1511-1553) might be considered as (one of) the founders.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:11 pm
There was a Uniterian faction at the Council of Nicea in 325. They obviously lost the debate but never really disappeared. Servetus was burned at the stake for refusing to recant his beliefs and is usually considered one of the earliest 'modern day' Uniterians.

Interestingly, although it has Christian roots only 10% of American Uniterians still consider themselves Christian. I would be one of those 10%
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:14 pm
When they are no Christians, what else are they?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:15 pm
I'd never thought Arians to be the same as Unitarians. Embarrassed
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:20 pm
We sometimes refer to anyone who didn't subscribe to trinitarianism as Uniterian although the term wasn't coined until much later. It was really intended as a slander but stuck during the European debates. I'll try to find the exact timing and get back to you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:38 pm
Found it here
Quote:
After 1550 two organized religious groups sprouted with non-Trinitarian theology: 1) The Unitarian Church in Transylvania; 2) Minor Reform Church in Poland. It was at the Church in Transylvania that the term Unitarian originated from either its non-Trinitarian beliefs or the unity of the four-protestant churches there. By 1556 Transylvania was considered a Protestant country. King John Sigismund, who came to power in 1561, is the only known Unitarian King in history. Because of his faith he allowed freedom and tolerance of religion in the country. The official Decree of Religious Tolerance was passed in 1557. The religion debates that took place as a result were widely popular and the first one truly established the popularity of the Unitarian faith under the leadership of Francis David. By 1571 there were 500 of what we would now label Unitarian congregations. Unfortunately, the death of King John, also in 1571, lead to religious persecution once again and Francis David was imprisoned and died in jail.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:47 pm
Yes, I saw that as well (besides in my offline - German - books :wink: ).
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 05:55 pm
Now there's something I didn't know. I'm even more tempted to check out a Unitarian church.
0 Replies