Syriana

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 03:29 pm
I just saw this film today. While it didn't have as much action as I expected, it was a fine film. Very thought-provoking. It was a little slow in parts and somewhat complicated but it definitely seemed like a realistic portrayal of the oil business and how it is intertwined with politics and how the west deals with the middle east. It's scary when you think that the world is really like that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,342 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:52 am
Quote:
It's scary when you think that the world is really like that.

John Creasy- I have not seen the movie, but your remarks intrigued me, so I checked it out. First of all, it is NOT a documentary. It is a work of fiction. In any work of fiction, there is some truth scattered here and there, but basically, it is a story, that comes out of a writer's imagination, together with the writer's views and biases.

Quote:
And its sheer entertainment value - the way that Mr. Gaghan, with remarkable conviction and confidence, both honors and scrambles the conventions of the genre - is worth emphasizing. Since it deals with some contentious contemporary realities, it is likely to be greeted with a fair amount of chin-rubbing commentary. Though "Syriana" is expressly a work of fiction, it will no doubt be subjected to a round of pseudo-fact-checking, and its dark, conspiratorial view of the present and recent past is likely to be challenged, either because it is too complicated or not complicated enough.

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2005/11/23/movies/23syri.html?ex=1134450000&en=30a34bf8c5510fd8&ei=5070

I think that it is very important, when one reads or view works of fiction, is to understand that it is by nature, not true, although it may have some realistic elements.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:50 pm
"Loosely based on the memoirs of a C.I.A. veteran, Robert Baer, on whom Mr. Clooney's character is modeled, it aims to be a great deal more than a standard geopolitical thriller and thereby succeeds in being one of the best geopolitical thrillers in a very long time."

From the same link you posted. Very Happy

That's why I said that about the real world being like this. Although much of the storyline is altered and/or embellished, much of it is based on real events and happens every day.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:22 pm
It's on my short list of "to see" films, along with Spielberg's Munich when that opens.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:01 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
It's on my short list of "to see" films, along with Spielberg's Munich when that opens.

I definitely recommend it. I haven't heard of Munich, but I'm hooked already.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:51 pm
Those two films and "Good Night and Good Luck" should be a must see for anyone interested in serious movies that have a point and are not just pot boiler entertainment.

"Syriana" is one of those hybrids of a dramatized documentary. In truth, all of the material was fact-checked by Clooney's staff and although this genre retains the right to extrapolate and form its own conclusions, it's closer to the truth than our politicians would ever like to admit. Bravo, George, for two fine political "thrillers" this movie year.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 09:47 pm
Don't expect easy answers when you see this.

It leaves you with the message that "everything is connected" but it isn't easy to figure out what is the right answer. The interesting thing is the 2 opposing political viewpoints of how we deal with the mideast. I don't think this movie will really change anyone's mind but maybe it will make them think a little bit about the other choices.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:25 pm
Ebert and Roeper placed "Syriana" as second and first on their best ten films of the year.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 10:31 pm
It is a great film because it isn't a simple film.

Lots of people won't like it because it doesn't have a clean ending or an easy to follow straight forward plot.

I am curious what other people think the political message is in the film if there even is one.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:52 am
I was just about to post asking if anyone had seen this,
when I came across this thread.
So, thanks for starting this & all the replies. Smile

I'm a HUGE George Clooney fan, so I intend seeing both this movie
and "Goodnight And Good Luck".
I was curious to others thoughts about it.
I always like to read other people's views.
So, thanks Very Happy

<And Good Luck for the Oscars, George> Very Happy
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 10:12 am
parados wrote:
Don't expect easy answers when you see this.

It leaves you with the message that "everything is connected" but it isn't easy to figure out what is the right answer. The interesting thing is the 2 opposing political viewpoints of how we deal with the mideast. I don't think this movie will really change anyone's mind but maybe it will make them think a little bit about the other choices.

That's a good analysis. I think the portryel of the evil CIA and the noble good, Arab prince are stretched a bit. No doubt the CIA has done some shady things and manipulated other countries affairs in the name of economic and political secuirty for the US.

The movie presents the oil industry as a bitter cycle of money and energy security to fuel the US economy. I enjoyed the movie becuase, as you said, it makes you think.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 11:57 am
Loved "Munich", hated "Syriana".

I don't think I'm a stupid person by any means, but I found the plot to Syriana way too convoluted to be able to follow it properly. Yeah, eventually I "got it" in the end, after much comparing of notes to my brighter wife.

I think it would have been a far better movie if it had been told in a more straight-forward fashion. The acting was good, although I could have done away with the fingernail pulling scene. Totally unnecessary. Hitchcock never had to lower himself to stuff like that, but he never made a bad movie.

So, all in all, Syriana could have been a far better better movie than the hyped up clips portrayed it to be.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:52 am
Hitchcock made "Topaz," a precusor to "Syriana," and barely a two star movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:52 am
(Well, except for Liv Ullman's shovel thingy).
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 11:18 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Hitchcock made "Topaz," a precusor to "Syriana," and barely a two star movie.

All-in-all, Hitchcock's record is damn fine.

Personally, I liked Topaz.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:42 pm
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hollywood gave George Clooney the respectability that long has eluded his acting career. He won his first Oscar on Sunday for his performance as a weary CIA agent in the oil industry thriller "Syriana."

Reuters

Quote:
Clooney's Oscar win cemented his journey from the man once dubbed the "sexiest man alive" by People magazine to a leading Hollywood heavyweight with a passion for making films on risky subjects.

He is also one of Hollywood's best known liberals and an actor who has no qualms about wearing his political heart on his sleeve.

OUT OF TOUCH

"We are a little bit out of touch in Hollywood every once in a while," Clooney acknowledged referring to an earlier joke by Oscar host Jon Stewart.

"We were the ones who talked about AIDS when it was being whispered. We talked about civil rights when it wasn't really popular," he said.

"I'm proud to be part of this Academy. I'm proud to be part of this community. I'm proud to be out of touch," Clooney added.

For his role as U.S. spy Bob Barnes, the handsome leading man gained more than 30 pounds (13.6 kg) to look the part of a haggard man. While filming a scene in which his character is tortured, Clooney was injured and needed several surgeries after rupturing his spinal fluid sack.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 12:12 am
ehBeth wrote:
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hollywood gave George Clooney the respectability that long has eluded his acting career. He won his first Oscar on Sunday for his performance as a weary CIA agent in the oil industry thriller "Syriana."

YAY for George!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 07:53 pm
Reyn "loved Munich, hated Syriana"

Thank you Mr. Brevity. That sums it up for me too.
Right to the heart of the matter.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 09:43 pm
Although Munich was a fairly violent film, I thought in was presented in a good fashion, and in one that I could understand.

On the other hand, Syriana, in my opinion, was made in an unnecessarily, over-complicated way. It still would have had an excellent plot if it hadn't been told in such a convoluted fashion. It doesn't mean people like me are "simple-minded". You shouldn't have to have a high IQ to follow a well-told film.
0 Replies