Is bigger, better? Movies at IMAX

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:27 am
I've noticed that the IMAX theater at the science museum now plays quite a few regular movies -- Harry Potter, The Polar Express, that sort of thing.

It seems to me that this might be a bit overwhelming.

Have you seen a regular theatrical release on an IMAX screen?

What did you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 919 • Replies: 16
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
I have only seen the nature stories and other clips offered at Imax theaters.
I didnt know they offered regular movies?

i would consider ... rather.. I would GO to see a movie on the BIG screen.

Besides the neck ache.. it is a really cool experience.
Things look life size . The sounds are just as large in feel and it gives the sense of ' being there' in the movie.

i like 'em. :-)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
I haven't seen a regula rmovie at an IMAX theater, but I always get nautious at IMAX. Am I nuts?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:39 am
I felt sick when i saw a clip on Nascar in an Imax years ago.

your not nuts..
it does make you a bit dizzy
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:47 am
Smile
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:52 am
Mr. B gets vertigo in there too, Swimpy. He can't stand the places.

I've seen a couple of nature film type things there and wasn't so impressed. Too much looking around required. I felt like I was missing things.

With a "real" movie I think that missing thing problem would be more evident.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:58 pm
Would Jackson's new "King Kong" be just too much in IMAX?

I'm still awaiting the re-release of "2001" in IMAX -- an ideal candidate.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:14 pm
Yeah,I've seen a few 3D films,the best being the one on the Space station.They also showed a few "ordinary" films,without the Imax conversion,one of which I saw was The Italian Job.The Imax conversion films I have seen are Harry Potter and Blade.Detail was amazing,showing every hair and blemish on the actors faces.As usuall,the Imax sound is just b£916y amazing.
And,yes,I am used to a good picture and sound,my local cinemas are the Odeon and the Empire,both in Leicester Square.The best in the UK. Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:23 pm
Fighter Pilot was great at IMAX, almost went to Willy Wonka but I was in the hospital when it was showing, out Imax is a long way from parking and at times a little problem foe me and I feel sorry for the guy that sites at the bottom in a wheelchair
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:52 am
I agree that 2001 would be ideal!

I haven't been to the movies in soooooo long but from what I understand there are many non-IMAX theaters that are really superior. There is a new one near here called Cinetopia that has living room seating, table service and a wine bar along with the latest technology in film projection and sound.

Someday I hope to check it out!

Barrythemod - do you think that kind of detail adds a lot to the experience?

I can't help but feel that it would be distracting to me; too much to see.

Willy Wonka might be fun there - a familiar story but a different take on it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:04 am
I really like movies shown at IMAX theatres.

Well, maybe not a tiny romantic film - but I don't tend to go out to see those in any case.

But animated films, action-adventure films ... IMAX all the way !!! I might even have tolerated Phantom of the Opera if I'd seen it in an IMAX theatre. A few scenes coulda used the extra oomph an enormous scene would provide.

I'm really looking forward to Pirates of the Caribbean showing up at one of our local IMAX theatres.

I can't resist those films they have of roller-coaster rides when they're shown at an IMAX theatre. Wonderfully stomach-dropping Very Happy
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:18 pm
boomerang wrote:
I agree that 2001 would be ideal!

I haven't been to the movies in soooooo long but from what I understand there are many non-IMAX theaters that are really superior. There is a new one near here called Cinetopia that has living room seating, table service and a wine bar along with the latest technology in film projection and sound.

Someday I hope to check it out!

Barrythemod - do you think that kind of detail adds a lot to the experience?

I can't help but feel that it would be distracting to me; too much to see.

Willy Wonka might be fun there - a familiar story but a different take on it.

Hi boomerang.Yes,that much detail does distract.I was taught that the ideal seat,for watching TV or a movie is three and a half times the height of the screen away from it.There's no way you can apply this rule in an Imax theatre.You would be sitting in the car park.These distractions only apply to movies not originally shot for Imax,so it poses the question "Just because you can,should you?"
But I always prefer to watch a movie in the way the Director intended.E.G filmed in 16:9,watch it in 16:9.Filmed in 4:3,watch it in 4:3.The Odeon and the Empire have no worries about losing my custom for a long time to come.
Just as an aside,my fave Imax movie is Super Speedway.Paul Newman narates the story of Mario Andretti driving a car he thaught he'd never see again.Also contains some of the best Cart action ever.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
Not as many films in 16:9 as 235:1 and 255:1. "2001" was filmed in Super Panavision 266:1 which is close to three times as wide as the heighth of the screen. Not sure how they will process the film for IMAX.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 05:26 pm
I remember your love of roller coaster, eBeth. I can only imagine being your partner in IMAX!

You really hit the nail on the head, barrythemod, with "just because you can, should you".

I can't think of many theatrical films that would be improved by the IMAX size.

Animated films could be cool. Fantasia, like 2001, seems made for such an experience.

Science fiction seems like a good bet. "Lord of the Rings" might be cool.

I don't really understand how any of the movies are converted. I do recall seeing 2001 when it first came out and being knocked out by it (even though I didn't understand one dang thing about it -- I think I was eight years old) and seeing it later on in a regular type theater and thinking "huh?".

I did see one made for IMAX thing about beavers building a damn and thought it probably would have been better on The Discovery Channel.

I did like the Grand Canyon one a lot though.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:33 pm
Actual IMAX high definition cameras run the film sidesways (horizontally) through the camera which is the same as ToddAO or VistaVision. Directors have shot a film in 4:3 and they were shown in wide screen in theaters with the top and bottom missing. Copolla's "Bram Stoker's Dracula" was shot in this manner. If you view the standard 4:3 version on old VHS or cable TV screening it has the full top and bottom portions of the image (looks rather strange after one has seen the wide screen version). If hi def cameras are not used as in some of the past transfers to IMAX there is a loss of resolution when blown up that huge. Perhaps they haven't been able to solve this with "2001" and the estate will not endorse the re-release.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:32 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Not as many films in 16:9 as 235:1 and 255:1. "2001" was filmed in Super Panavision 266:1 which is close to three times as wide as the heighth of the screen. Not sure how they will process the film for IMAX.

Which is why I prefere to watch a movie as the director intended it to be seen :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 01:14 pm
I saw the newest Harry Potter movie there and i have to say, while it was good, it wasn't great. It's sort of like HiDef for the big screen and I was anticipating more.
0 Replies