Osso and Pacco move to New Mexico

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:35 pm
..assuming the roof doesn't fall in here in the next ten days.
In that case, I'm walkin to Andalucia.

I was near fully packed a few weeks ago, but recently got the dastardly news of what the moving van costs. I am quickly repacking and making more odd decisions.

What always kills me on the moving is that I am pretty attached to my books. I did find out that I can ship them to a p.o. box there and they will go into general delivery until I get there, changing boxes, relabelling, yadda yadda - and that cuts out half the money, essentially, for that big percentage of my stuff that is books. But 1/2 is not enough, so I am culling like crazy too. Frustrating, because they're quite culled already, from my point of view. Picture me at the post office with many boxes of books in the next ten days. With my luck it'll be pouring...

I'm renting a storage unit down there.

I don't have a house there yet, as I need this one to close before I can do that.

I'll be staying with some a2k pals and their dog and bird until they wring my neck and/or the next escrow closes. May take some short trips to give them a break.

Will drive my favorite highway, 101, probably on the 21st and 22nd, visit family in LA quickly, and take off on highway 10 from there. I could stay with family for the holiday get together, but I need to beat the moving truck (which will delay a few days) to Albuquerque. Let's say it will be better for peace of mind if I do. And.... ta dah, this is the primo worst time of year for me to drive, re daylight hours and my weird eyes - I pay attention to that clock.

Pacco will have his crate and lots of music...
I'll probably take a lot of photos; I'm a sentimental person, plus I'm always looking for painting "triggers".

I have a new email and will sign on here at a2k, probably as ossodue, while I'm still ossobuco, to make sure it all goes through. Then kick back as soon as mods ok it, to ossobuco. Well, that's m'plan.

It's been complicated getting here, re dueling buyers, and flakey buyes, so I'm glad I didn't start this thread earlier. I'm not Ms. Patience for describing circle running right now.

Wish me luck, or mud in m'eye...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 26,159 • Replies: 484
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:38 pm
That's so cool, Osso. What made you decide to make the big move? I though you liked where you were? In any case, congratulations, amico!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:40 pm
you don't need an a2k user name change, you can just keep using the one you have.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:49 pm
I thiml Osso is confused on email address change with user name ?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 08:50 pm
Huh? What the hell is everybody talking about?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:11 pm
Osso--

My thoughts will be with you. Winnowing is hell and after weeks of winnowing setting off to an unknown street address, racing the moving van, is unseemly scuttling in the Prime of Life.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:13 pm
I think if ever want to run away I'll go to New Mexico - must be lots of open doors there Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 09:23 pm
really? Good deal! This stuff is simpler than I thought..

Two things, Kickamico. Well, no, three.

1) money, honey
2) mold in the mist
3) mental distance from friends

1) Money.
In short, it finally dawned on me I can't count on keeping working and making mortgage payments here until I am 87..
much less finishing some expensive house maintenance.

I can't count on it through next year. Eye 2 is going to do the same thing the other did, and with any luck, survive the way the other one did, but there's lots of hoops to jump with all that. That's a tangent I'll cover some other time. Nothing immediate. It won't leave me much left, to buy for cash, but it'll be time for princess to learn med transcription or draw xeriscape irrigation drawings or pontificate on wise planting of natives. Though I'd like some time off first. Anyway, I'm getting a landarch license there, as soon as I get the forms going; I've communicated with the board already.

So I needed to figure where I could buy something small for relatively little. Someplace I might actually like, and started visiting friends. Visted Dys and Diane and met BBB and Roger earlier this year. Nosed around at that time.

2) I've had a little asthma once in a while before... in LA when I lived with two cats and an irish setter for years even though being allergic; and also getting post exercise asthma - me and Jackie Joyner Kersee. But nothing like here. I about hacked my esophagus out last year. Presently under control.

My wonderful house here is seventeen blocks from the water two ways - north and west. Rarely gets over 63 on my block. I loved it at first. I might still love it, if I was a jet setter and could hop about.

3) on the mental distance from friends. I have friends and family from LA to SDiego, oh, and some other places - but a nice fat wad of friends there. Many have made the trip up past the redwood curtain to see me, but it is sort of a big deal. Two short flights, but a problematic stop at SFO. Now there is a Horizon flight from LA, oh, well. A lot of people make it up as far as Sonoma county, but the next 160 miles of forest is a real test of, oh, perhaps next year.

Whereas after I've mentioned I am moving to Abq, I've been given cards with peoples' sisters' names, best friends, people I have to meet, and they will all, they say, come visit. I believe some might.

And finally, there's the train... I think the SuperChief goes through to LA, just like when I was nine. And my friend Richard says the food is really quite good, considering. And if you get a roomette, which I guess is not as much as it sounds since it includes meals, he said, you get a bit of a guided tour (he's an architectural tour guide.) And a special observation car. Sounds like fun.
I don't suppose they'd want a barking dog...

No trains go up where I live now. That is part of why it remains rather beautiful... and quiet.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:55 pm
kicky wrote:
In any case, congratulations, amico!

Wow, and all this time I had thought that osso was a woman.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 10:59 pm
Oh, sure, make fun of my italian. You know, Ossobuco is a masculine noun...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:00 pm
am too...
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:02 pm
osso, good luck with the culling. I know how hard that is as I've moved dozens of times.

I'm certain that there's no need to change your username here just because your email is changing. Besides, what would we do without our osso?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:04 pm
rest a bit! I've been spitting tacks here lately. A good long drive will do me good.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:06 pm
Um . . . (scratch, scratch) . . . so is you is or is you ain't a woman, osso?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:26 am
Well, finally! I'm so glad to hear you're making the move! I know it's been coming for some time.

Hope all goes well and your house sells in record time. Meanwhile, what a great introduction to NM life you will have, staying with Dys & Diane! They're such lovely folks. You'll have a great time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 12:58 am
Okay, this time, you get to decide where we go for lunch.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 06:29 am
This is very exciting, osso! The very best of luck to you. Please keep us posted, this is quite an adventure.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:03 am
If you end up missing Osso, I will check the goldfish pond in the yard for you next time I visit..
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:15 am
Wow!

I have no idea how far you are moving, but it sounds very exciting.

You are one gutsy lady and I wish you well in your new home, wherever that may be.

I hope it all goes smoothly, Osso.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:21 am
LE-
if osso drove a regular highway speed, she would be driving for about 4 days, stopping only to eat, and sleep..

shes moving a pretty good distance from where she is now. ;-)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Osso and Pacco move to New Mexico
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 02:46:55