New Yorkers do you know?

kev

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 06:39 pm
Does anyone know the real name of the restaurant in this film which features Michael in the godfather shooting a Police Officer. Going to New York this weekend and want to visit this restaurant, I have been told its called Lunar and its on White Plains Drive, Bronx - but I cant find it anywhere.

These are not my words, I'm asking on behalf of a friend, (I wish I were going)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,395 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:13 pm
I'm sorry, kev, I don't know about the "Godfather" restaurant that you're asking about. That would be interesting to check out though, I'll see what I can find out.

However, if you're interested in places where movies scenes were done, there is one that I know of. It's called Katz's Deli, located at 205 East Houston Street, on the Lower East Side. They did the "I'll have what she's having" scene from "When Harry Met Sally" there. They have pretty good food there too!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:30 pm
ok, kev, I did a little googling and I think I got the answer to your question. Here it is:

Michael met Sollozzo and McClusky at "Louis' Italian American Restaurant in the Bronx," but in reality, the scene was shot at the old Luna Restaurant located on White Plains Road just off Gun Hill Road in The Bronx. The real owner and his wife played those parts in the film.

Hope that helps you out.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:39 pm
I don't believe either of those restaurants are around anymore. I hear that the place where Louis' Italian American Restaurant used to be is still a restaurant, but it isn't Louis' anymore. My film nut friend who lives in the Bronx told me this. He's pretty smart, so I think it's pretty reliable info.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 02:49 pm
kev, I was just going to post pretty much the same thing Kickycan just said.

Bear in mind that The Godfather was filmed over thirty years ago, so that restaurant may have changed hands several times since then, or even closed. Sorry about that!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:22 pm
Thank you for that.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:18 pm
kev, I think I found something that you might be interested in, a place where a scene from The Godfather was filmed, that actually still exists!

Remember the "baptism" scene right at the very end of the movie? This is where Michael and Kaye are at a church becoming the "godparents" to Connie Corelone's new baby.

Apparently, this scene was filmed at "Old St. Patrick's Cathedral," located at 260-264 Mulberry Street (also on the Lower East Side -- this is not to be confused with the more modern "St. Patrick's Cathedral" which is at 5th Avenue and 50th St).

Here's an inside pic of Old St. Patrick's:

http://www.nyc-architecture.com/SOH/oldpat2.jpg

Hey, that does look like the place where that scene was filmed! That might be an interesting place to visit.

To be honest, I didn't realize there was an "Old St. Patick's Cathedral!"
0 Replies

LoneHaranger

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:26 am
Interesting, Stray Cat. I didn't realize there was an "Old St. Patrick's Cathedral" either!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:36 am
I've asked the New York crowd once before if they were familiar with the restaurant "Abel Conklins" on Long Island.

Never did receive an answer.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:29 am
here we go again
0 Replies