DO YOU CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS? WHY?

echi

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 03:58 pm
nick17

Come on, man...You have got to put a Santa hat on that guy.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 05:09 pm
echi,
how do you like that?
0 Replies

j aumen 11916

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 07:35 pm
Sure you don't have to be a christian to celebrate Christmas. Jesus never really had a last name. Of course people back never technically had last names. Echi, Jesus had several though, Emmanuel, Jesus Christ, ect. Echi, Christmas is not about peanuts, cartoons, Santa Clause, being extra nice. It's about family and yes I think it is a christian holiday. You still don't have to be a christian to celebrate it. Christmas and Easter are nice family christian holidays whereas Halloween is the one holiday that is non-christian. Those are just one christians' opinions though.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 08:21 pm
Thanks, nick17...
Now it feels like Christmas.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:27 am
your welcome. merry christmas
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:41 pm
echi wrote:
...And as for Christ, I have yet to know of any Christian who understands the true meaning of that word. (No, it isn't Jesus' last name.)

"The Anointed"
0 Replies

werthn

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:19 am
for me, it's a little difficult to draw the line. I celebrate xmas both as a christian and as a non christian. as a christian, i usually go to church on xmas eve and do the candle lighting ceremony (has anyone else done that before)...basically i think it's like "pass the light onto the world"

but my family is non christmas, so we usually just do fmaily stuff together. either way, i love xmas because it's the most family holiday that i know of, even more so than thanksgiving.

i can't wait until it gets here!
0 Replies

j aumen 11916

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:02 am
I agree. It's been a while but I've done the candlelight service before. It is also a family holiday. Whether christian or non christian you can celebrate it. It is, though, more of a christian holiday with Jesus Christ being born and all. Like I said, I'm a huge christian.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:02 am
Our Christmas Eve service includes a candle lighting ceremony. The lights are all extinguished, a single candle is lit and then the light is passed from candle to candle while singing Silent Night throughout. By the end, the sanctuary is aglow in candle light and filled with song - beautiful!
0 Replies

Turtlehead

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 07:21 pm
Christmas is a crock. Firstly its origins are pagan the celebration of the victory of light over darkness hence why its a few days out from the winter solstice. Secondly it was stolen by the church to make their newly acquired converts happy and not resort to their pagan practices. Thirdly it has been hijacked by capitalism as a reason to sell excessive amounts of goods. Christmas has no spirit. The only reason I celebrate it well I wouldn't call it celebrate is because everyone else does. Christmas is another reason to get excessively drunk it is also a day off and the only true vacation of the year in this capitalist society.

I live in the southern hemisphere so I would sooner celebrate the summer solstice over christmas as the sun is the only thing worth celebrating as it has done more than Jesus ever will.
0 Replies

lightfoot

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:25 am
Turtlehead.
You are right on man!!
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 08:29 am
J_B wrote:
Our Christmas Eve service includes a candle lighting ceremony. The lights are all extinguished, a single candle is lit and then the light is passed from candle to candle while singing Silent Night throughout. By the end, the sanctuary is aglow in candle light and filled with song - beautiful!

Beautifully expressed! This is how we do it at my church also! It truely is beautiful.

The past couple of years, I have had a really hard time at Christmas. This year being no different. And though I celebrate, I find myself glad when it is all over.

It seems as soon as the calendar is turned and I see December there, I get emotional. Whereas the rest of the year I can square my shoulders and be "tough." I seem to lose all of that around Christmas and become a cry baby. Crying or Very sad

Counting the days till it is over.......again.

Confused
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:42 am
Brooke--

Healing can be very slow--but you know that.

The trick is to know that some people have holidays with more dimensions than other people--and it is these unfortunate dimensions that give you your grace, wisdom and empathy.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:04 am
Noddy http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/heavens_just_a_kiss_away/hug.gif

I wish I could give you that for real. There is something very comforting in your words. Thank you.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:55 am
Which denomination do you belong to JBB?
0 Replies

j aumen 11916

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:49 pm
Christmas is also emotional for me because my grandmother passed away five years ago. I just go with the flow. I know where she is today being a christian and all. me and her. Christmas is a holiday where you shouldn't get drunk. It's about the birth of Jesus. I hope you all someday come to realize what Christmas is all about and not think it's all about stores making money for gifts because that's not what it's about.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:50 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:

I am NON denominational. I cringe at these churches that condem everyone to hell, because they are not of their denomination.

I believe in God and Jesus. Even though I attend a church ......... my true church is inside of me. It consists of my love and my belief, and my faith. And within those perimeters, I strive to keep out the negativity and wrong doings of many of todays churches and the teachers within them.

Smile If that makes any sense!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:59 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:

I am NON denominational. I cringe at these churches that condem everyone to hell, because they are not of their denomination.

I believe in God and Jesus. Even though I attend a church ......... my true church is inside of me. It consists of my love and my belief, and my faith. And within those perimeters, I strive to keep out the negativity and wrong doings of many of todays churches and the teachers within them.

Smile If that makes any sense!

J B Brooke,

The bible also describes your true Church.

1 Corinthians 6:19  
What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Yes, it is sad if a Church condemns anyone.
0 Replies

j aumen 11916

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 03:17 pm
JBB,

You are exactly right. I am baptist but I have the Lord in my heart and follow in the beliefs and faith of what any christian should.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 08:31 am
Brooke--

You wouldn't be the person you are had you not overcome sorrow and trouble. Internal scar tissue is always unsettling--but it is also character building.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies