Depends where the geese are.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:44 pm
so, you intentionally nailed a goose?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:47 pm
Speaking of wildlife, we went up to our cabin in northern MI last weekend. Saw ducks, beaver, a fox, and a BUNCH of deer - I even got within 30 yards of a herd of 10 simply by using a river to my advantage and confusing them with a turkey call. Very cool.

And no, I didn't kill anything.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:48 pm
littlek wrote:
so, you intentionally nailed a goose?

No, but the not-so-little bastards won't move, and my Dad did once. It was his only "birdie" of the day.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
Anyway, littlek, that's cool that you got to see a coyote. Most of us will never see one, even if they are right next to us.

A couple years ago I was in Yosemite camping along the Merced. Standing there talking to friends from the valley, a 'yote ran right by me in the roped off area intended to protect the banks of the river (I was in the campground, the 'yote was in the barrier area). Came within about three feet of me. None of the folks I was talking to saw the beast, though they were facing the direction from which he came. Somehow, I wasn't surprised by that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:02 pm
This'll be the second or third coyote I've seen, but the first east of the mississippi. They're on the cape and I hear tham at night - pretty cool.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:06 pm
Enjoy, but keep your kids and pets close. Those aren't dogs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:09 pm
I know my wildlife. Most people around here would be wondering who left their german shepherd running lose.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 10:12 pm
Good night lk. Thanks for the conversation. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2006 11:07 pm
nightie night
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:05 am
Great pic! Thanks for sharing. I drive by Arlington just about every day, have yet to see a coyote. Did see one once out West but never around here.
0 Replies

CatFisH

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 01:21 pm
speaking of coyotes...I ran into a couple of trappers that trap live coyotes...they had caught 3...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/kingfish711/coyotes1R.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
What do they do with them?
0 Replies

CatFisH

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 01:33 pm
cjhsa...they are used by English-style fox hunters to train their dogs...apparently hunting fox/coyote with dogs from horseback is a popular sport...

I did also run into a group of foxhunters with dogs and horses plus the fancy riding tack (redcoats, funny little hats and all)...they arrived from several surrounding states to pursue this activity...I was surprized to see that people still hunt in this fashion..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 02:35 pm
I imagine that's a demanding sport, for the riders, the horses, the dogs, and especially the prey.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 07:32 pm
I thought CJ said it would be a demeaning sport - I was going to agree with him.

What a horrid thing to do.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:57 pm
So, I guess you don't like hunting dogs then, k. You might want to change your avatar.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 08:59 pm
This dog don't hunt.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:01 pm
"The talented Boxer is another gift to dog owners from Germany. He is cousin to many breeds developed from the massive Molossian Hound, an ancient Greek guarding, fighting, and herding dog. From Greece to Rome to Europe and Britain, these dogs gave birth to a number of large, square-headed breeds that assisted men in the hunt and at war.

In Germany, the Molossian type became the Bullenbeisser, a courageous dog that hunted the fierce aurochs, a wild progenitor of domestic cattle."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 09:02 pm
Yes, I know about the boxer history.
0 Replies