secular Institute for the laity under religious vows

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:00 am
Spring Cleaning for Freedom

So many of us have accumulated much more than we need. It bursts from our closets, overflows our shelves and clutters our lives. Lent might be a wonderful time to deliberately release ourselves from the many "things" we own by cleaning out our closets and simplifying our lives in a prayerful and intentional way.
On one level, this is ridding ourselves of things we don't need, or things that we hated to part with except that they are so "out of style." Certainly, many of us have many things that are "extra" or "unneeded" for us, but could be wonderful for those who can't afford to buy clothes at a store.

Another level of this journey into personal freedom is to ask ourselves how much I really do need. How many sweaters do I want to choose to have? How many jackets, sport shirts, dresses, shoes? How much jewelry? How much sporting equipment? How much electronic equipment? How many sets of silverware or dishes? How much of so many things we have in our lives?

We can get as serious and go as deeply into this as we desire to find fruit. This is not "should I get rid of what I don't need?" This is different, more faith-filled and takes us into giving up 'good' stuff -- perhaps stuff we are attached to -- because we want to experience the exercise of freedom. We do this because we sense that we are not free in some areas that are tremendously important for us, important for our salvation, and growing in freedom before the things of our lives can be a great grace. This freedom, too, will place us in greater solidarity with those who find such great happiness and joy in trusting in God, while having so much less than we imagine we could survive on.

What else might we do, that fits with my circumstances and the needs around us and in the world?
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
April 4th, 2006
by
Barbara Dilly
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Click here for a photo of and information on this writer.
Numbers 21:4-9
Psalm 102:2-3, 16-18, 19-21
John 8:21-30
Praying Lent
Daily Lenten Prayer
Weekly Guide for Daily Prayer

The lessons for today are probably among the most important one's I've learned in my faith journey. How many times do we grow impatient with our journey in life? If we are honest, we have to admit that we complain to God in many ways with the dissatisfaction we so often express with our lots in life. Like the children of Israel on the Red Sea road, we go grumbling along. But what does our complaining get us? Usually we suffer more from our complaining than from the actual conditions of the journey of life that challenge us. We bring plagues upon ourselves when we give up faith and hope and doom ourselves to despair.

Life can be tough, in fact, it usually is. God didn't tell us it wouldn't be and God doesn't like a bunch of whiners. But God does hear when we pray out of our distress and our suffering. The difference between crying out to God for help and the sin of complaining is both a mental and a spiritual health issue. The Psalm for today is a cry for help, not groan of disgust. God listens to us when we cry out for help, but only if we do it from the perspective of praise.

Jesus tells us the same thing. If we focus on this world and what limits or frustrates us, we will condemn ourselves. If we lift up Jesus and believe that he has the power and wisdom of the kingdom of God to help us, we too will be lifted up out of the distressful circumstances of this world. So whatever is troubling us, we must first petition God with praise. To not do so, is to sin against God. To do so, is to be released from our sins. Sometimes we need to sit down and make a list just to remind ourselves of how our perspectives can get skewed in the direction of complaining. We each have our own ways of praising God. It is a good habit to develop as many as we can to counter all of our gripes. And just to keep ourselves honest, it is a good practice to share them with others. Here's mine for today: Instead of complaining that winter is still hanging on, I thank God for Daffodils!

Click on the link below to send an e-mail response
to the writer of this reflection.
[email protected]

Let Your Friends Know About This Reflection By Sending Them An E-mail

Go To The ONLINE MINISTRIES Home Page
Collaborative Ministry Office Guestbook
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 10:31 am
April 5th, 2006
by
Dennis Hamm, S.J.
Theology
Daniel 3:14-20, 91-92, 95
Daniel 3:52, 53, 54, 55, 56
John 8:31-42
Praying Lent
Daily Lenten Prayer

Jesus said to those Jews who believed in him: "If you live according to my teaching, you are truly my disciples; then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Freedom must be near the top of our top ten favorite words here in the U.S. "Land of the free," we sing. We celebrate Patrick Henry's, "Give me liberty, or give me death." The tower we plan to build on Ground Zero, to replace the World Trade Center demolished in 9/11/01, will bear the name "Freedom Tower."

Our readiness to celebrate freedom can also verge on the trivial, as when some of us were ticked off by the French reluctance to approve our invasion against Iraq, and so we renamed one of our fast foods "Freedom Fries." Some have even diagnosed the motives of terrorists with the simplistic explanation, "They hate freedom" (a diagnosis that has never made much sense to me; it just sounds like an assertion that they are the opposite of us, not really human).

Anyway, our predilection for the word is understandable. We have paid dearly to be free from foreign oppression. Some among us have fought long to be free from racial oppression; others, to be liberated from gender-based oppression. And the striving for freedom continues. But let's get back to the Scripture and see if the Bible takes us deeper in this matter of freedom.

The faith of the people of Israel is rooted in the story of God freeing their Hebrew ancestors from slavery in Egypt. That was a matter of freedom from. It didn't stop there. The next episode was the giving of the Law at Sinai and finding themselves invited to bond with their creator and liberator in a covenant. That was a matter of freedom for. They were freed from slavery to commit themselves to a life of being bonded with God.

Now what does this talk about "freedom from" and "freedom for" have to do with truth? We began with Jesus' statement that the truth will make us free. And that truth is identified with living according to Jesus' teaching. The eternal Word became flesh not to make things difficult, but to liberate us to be fully human. The paradox is that this freedom comes precisely from our tying ourselves to the strenuous and self-denying life of responding to God's goodness by laying down our lives for one another. For in this Fourth Gospel Jesus doesn't simply say to love our neighbor as ourselves, which is challenging enough in itself; but in John's Gospel we hear Jesus take that to another level with his saying, "Love one another as I have loved you." He said this after hunkering down and washing their feet. In that humble service lies full freedom.

That really gives us something to chew on as we approach Holy Week.

[email protected]

0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:46 am
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:47 am
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:49 am
April 8th, 2006
by
Tom Purcell
Accounting Department
Ezekiel 37:21-28
Jeremiah 31:10, 11-12abcd, 13
John 11:45-56
Praying Lent
Daily Lenten Prayer

An old saying reminds us that if we want to avoid conflict in conversations we should avoid discussing religion and politics. The readings today, which easily could be restated in 21st century vernacular, certainly underscore the inextricability of these two most basic human undertakings.

On one level these readings certainly fit with our Lenten journey. Both Ezekiel and Jeremiah lived at a time of upheaval in Israel - defeat and exile, regression to worship of false gods, turning away from the covenant with the Lord. Both prophesied a time of rebirth, regeneration and renewal, a future when the people (in their case the Israelites) would turn back to God with joy and be made whole again in God's protection.

The excerpt from John provides some background into the impending execution of Jesus and context from the times. These passages immediately follow the raising of Lazarus from the dead. Imagine the buzz in Israel as word spread of this miracle, and the discussions in town squares about who this man Jesus really is. What is striking for me on this reading is the political intrigue that seems to be present - the Sanhedrin seems much more concerned with the possible repressive response from Rome than with the theology that Jesus presents. Caiaphas is ready to sacrifice Jesus as a scapegoat to keep the Romans at bay. There is no mention here, as there is later, of any religious reason for Jesus to be executed.

As I write this a man in Afghanistan has just been released from custody. His alleged crime was to convert from Islam to Christianity. Over the past week many Muslim clerics not only called for his execution, but suggested that if he were to be released, the people should rise up and destroy him. They called for the political power of the state to be used to support what they saw as a fundamental religious tenet. In the United States we continue to have acrimonious political struggles and shouting sessions (dialogue might not be the appropriate term for some of these discourses) about topics that arise from religious beliefs upon which people have deeply felt disagreements.

These intersections of religion and politics were on my mind when I reviewed these passages for today. I mentally re-worded the first lines of Ezekiel to read as follows:

"Thus says the Lord GOD
I will take the children of the world from among the nations To which they have come, And gather them from all sides to bring them back to their land.
I will make them one nation upon the land, In the world, And there shall be one prince for them all.
Never again shall they be many nations,
And never again shall they be divided into many kingdoms."

Where is this land? I think it is a oneness with God, a sense of wholeness that we are re-united with God in the way God means for us to be. It seems to me that (almost) all people have this yearning to find our way back to God, that God has created in us this need to be reconciled with the almighty and with the oneness of our human family. Where we have religious disagreements (that then bleed (literally) into politics) is on the identity of the "prince" for us all. Is it Abraham, or Jesus, or Mohammed, or Buddha? Could it be a princess? If our prince(ss) is "right," aren't the other ones "wrong?" And if the other ones are "wrong," shouldn't we use our (political) power to show our God that we will unite everyone under our prince(ss)?

If someone else feels that a prince(ss) different from ours can lead them back to their land, isn't it important that they follow that path to a oneness with God? This great diaspora of humanity from the nation of God will continue until we all understand that unity with God's wishes for us is the ultimate goal, and that the prince(ss) that lead us there are means to this end.

[email protected]

0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 07:51 am
Jesus Is Condemned to Die.

The First Station Jesus stands in the most human of places. He has already experienced profound solidarity with so many on this earth, by being beaten and tortured. Now he is wrongfully condemned to punishment by death. His commitment to entering our lives completely begins its final steps. He has said "yes" to God and placed his life in God's hands. We follow him in this final surrender, and contemplate with reverence each place along the way, as he is broken and given for us.
click on photo to enlarge We adore you, O Christ, and we bless you.
Because by your holy cross you have redeemed the world.
List of Stations
Next Station
As I view the scene, I become moved by both outrage and gratitude.
I look at Jesus. His face. The crown of thorns. The blood. His clothes stuck to the wounds on his back.

Pilate washes his hands of the whole affair. Jesus' hands are tied behind his back.

This is for me. That I might be free. That I might have eternal life.

As the journey begins I ask to be with Jesus. To follow his journey. I express my love and thanks.

Online Retreat Daily Reflections
Creighton University Home Page The Collaborative Ministry Office
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 09:11 am
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 09:12 am
Church officials urge U.S. aid for critical human needs abroad

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- As the U.S. Senate began considering a supplemental appropriations bill in early April, representatives of the U.S. bishops and Catholic Relief Services asked it to add essential funding in the current fiscal year to meet urgent human needs abroad. In a joint letter to the Senate Appropriations Committee, CRS President Ken Hackett and Bishop Thomas G. Wenski of Orlando, Fla., chairman of the bishops' Committee on International Policy, urged that the bill include more funding for emergency humanitarian aid in Sudan, for food aid, for migration and refugee assistance and for Iraqi reconstruction. They called for immediate aid increases to help Liberia and Haiti move toward stable, peaceful democracies and continuing aid to Palestinians through nongovernmental organizations while requiring the new leaders of the Palestinian Authority "to recognize Israel and renounce terrorism." Their letter was dated March 29 and released April 3.

Institute aims to build evangelical movement within Catholic Church

MADISON, Wis. (CNS) -- To be truly evangelical, Catholics have to "know and love the church," Archbishop Timothy M. Dolan of Milwaukee told a gathering of college students, priests, seminarians and parish leaders from around the country. "It ain't always easy to love the church," he said, mentioning the clergy sexual abuse scandal. "But we embrace the church in its messiness." Archbishop Dolan gave the opening keynote talk March 31 at the Evangelical Catholic Institute, aimed at building the evangelical movement within the Catholic Church. The two-day institute was held at St. Paul's University Catholic Center on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. "We gotta face it: The world hates our guts," Archbishop Dolan said. "The world will hate us because they hated Jesus Christ first." But he called on Catholics to return that hate with love. "Love is the essence of evangelical Catholicism," he said. "We celebrate the love that God has for us and the love that we return to one another."

Church data shows 5,000 clergymen accused of child sex abuse

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- Based on U.S. church figures, the clergymen accused of sexually abusing minors between 1950 and 2005 number at least 5,000 and the number of people registering as victims could easily reach 13,000. No accurate count is possible as no statistics were gathered in 2003, and not all dioceses, Eastern-rite eparchies and religious communities reported figures for the other years surveyed. Almost all of the accused clergymen were priests. Regarding accused clergymen, a mammoth study on the nature and scope of the clergy sex abuse crisis by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York reported that 4,392 clergymen were accused of sexually abusing minors in the 53-year period starting with 1950 and ending with 2002. Compliance audits in 2004 and 2005 turned up a further 572 clergymen accused for the first time. The audits plus the John Jay figure total 4,964. The annual average of priests accused for the first time in the 55 years surveyed is 90. If this figure is used for 2003, the total is 5,054.

Catholic universities across nation grappling with identity questions

ST. PAUL, Minn. (CNS) -- The University of St. Thomas has been embroiled for several months in a dispute over whether unmarried partners on its faculty should be allowed to travel together and share a room when they lead student trips. On campus and on editorial pages, the well-publicized debate has revolved around what's more important: St. Thomas' right to uphold moral policies based on its identity as a Catholic institution, or its efforts to treat all people with tolerance and without discrimination. It's a shake-up the St. Paul institution hasn't faced with such intensity until now. But St. Thomas is not alone. Around the country, spurred by a variety of challenges, Catholic universities are grappling with just what it means to have a Catholic identity in the 21st century. At Boston College, for example, a newly formed abortion-rights group recently clashed with university officials who tried to cancel a panel discussion featuring abortion-rights supporters, whose views are in opposition to Catholic doctrine. At the University of Notre Dame in Indiana, a production of "The Vagina Monologues" was moved from a theater to a classroom so as to frame the play as a teaching moment rather than a blanket endorsement of an event that includes episodes supportive of sexual activities condemned in Catholic moral teaching. Other U.S. Catholic universities have canceled performances altogether.

WORLD

Pope Benedict drops tradition of Holy Thursday letter to priests

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Dropping a tradition of his predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI is not issuing a letter to the world's priests on Holy Thursday, a Vatican spokesman said. Father Ciro Benedettini, assistant director of the Vatican press office, said April 6 that no papal letter would be released this year. He did not say why the pope had decided to discontinue the practice. In 1979, a few months after his election, Pope John Paul II began writing the Holy Thursday letter as a sign of his special concern for the priesthood and the burdens of pastoral ministry. Over the years, the letters covered such topics as priestly vocations, morale among the clergy, spirituality and priestly celibacy. The pope's last letter to priests focused on the importance of the Eucharist; he signed it three weeks before his death in April 2005.

Israel's Peres says pope would like to visit Holy Land in 2007

ROME (CNS) -- Former Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres said Pope Benedict XVI told him he would like to visit the Holy Land in the first half of 2007. Peres, who held a press conference in Rome April 6 after his 40-minute meeting with the pope, said he renewed the Israeli government's standing invitation for a papal visit and expressed his hope that it would take place "as soon as possible." "The pope has indicated that he may do it in the first part of next year," Peres said. In an official statement published after the meeting, the Vatican acknowledged the invitation, but gave no indication that the pope accepted it or had discussed the timing of the visit. Peres told reporters, "I do believe his visit could have a positive impact on the peace process." Asked whether Pope Benedict might postpone the trip while the radical Hamas organization leads the Palestinian government, Peres said that he doubted that Hamas would be in power next year.

Last fresco fragments restored in Assisi basilica

ASSISI, Italy (CNS) -- Restorers have replaced the last fresco fragments in the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi, more than eight years after an earthquake sent parts of the ceiling crashing to the floor. With the aid of computer technology, experts were able to recompose most of the damaged images -- including an archway with Sts. Francis and Clare, and a rib vault decorated with a depiction of St. Jerome at his desk. St. Matthew did not fare as well: His image today, high above the main altar, is a series of chromatic stains against a white background. "We preserved a relic of this major work by (Giovanni) Cimabue, but not the work itself," Giuseppe Basile, who oversaw the restoration project, told a press conference in Assisi April 5. When the vault section fell in September 1997, four people below were killed. Cimabue's fresco of St. Matthew exploded into more than 120,000 pieces, many of them smaller than a fingernail.

Vatican official urges Catholics to be reverent during Mass

LONDON (CNS) -- The head of the Vatican's Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments urged Catholics to be reverent during Mass and to venerate the Eucharist properly. During a talk in Westminster Cathedral April 1, Nigerian Cardinal Francis Arinze called on priests to restore tabernacles to central positions in churches and for Catholics to rediscover the tradition of reverent genuflection in the presence of the Eucharist. He also called for an end to adding details to and subtracting them from the approved rites of the Mass and for an end to soft background music during Mass and other times when people were trying to pray in church. "This is doubtless well intentioned, but it is a mistake," said the cardinal. "People enter churches to pray, not to be entertained." The cardinal told about 400 audience members that Mass was the "supreme act of adoration, praise and thanksgiving which humanity can offer God."

PEOPLE

Brooklyn priest named director of pilgrimages at national shrine

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- Father Joseph T. Holcomb, a priest of the Diocese of Brooklyn, N.Y., has been named director of pilgrimages at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington. The former pastor of St. Finbar Parish in Brooklyn succeeds Msgr. Walter R. Rossi, who was appointed rector of the shrine last May. "Since 1997, I have had the distinct privilege of organizing and transporting thousands of pilgrims of the national shrine from the Diocese of Brooklyn," Father Holcomb said in a statement. "Now as the director of pilgrimages for the national shrine, I have the opportunity to promote and welcome pilgrims from all over the country." Ordained in 1980, Father Holcomb also has worked with youths and college students at a diocesan retreat house. He has served on the diocese's College of Consultors, its Presbyteral Council and its music commission.

Through his ordination, wife shares husband with the church

WILMINGTON, Del. (CNS) -- When Leonard Klein placed his clasped hands between Wilmington Bishop Michael A. Saltarelli's as a sign of fidelity April 1, Christa Klein realized her relationship with her husband had changed. "I knew indeed that the sacrament of marriage had been connected with the sacrament of ordination, and that I would share him with the church," she told The Dialog, the newspaper of the Diocese of Wilmington, after her husband was ordained a Catholic priest. Christa Klein had shared him before, but in a different way; Father Klein formerly was an ordained Lutheran minister. He became the diocese's only married priest and Father Salvador Magana became the first native of Mexico to become a priest for this diocese during the Mass and ordination rite at the Cathedral of St. Peter. Bishop Saltarelli downplayed the firsts. "There are those who say this ordination is unique," he said, "but every ordination is unique."

Pope Paul VI's personal secretary dies at 82 in Milan, Italy

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Pope Paul VI's longtime personal secretary, Archbishop Pasquale Macchi, died April 5 at the age of 82 in Milan, Italy, after being hospitalized for kidney failure. Pope Benedict XVI recalled "the deep spirituality and generous episcopal dedication" that marked the life of the prelate. The pope lamented the loss of this "good, faithful servant" of God in a telegram to Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi of Milan. The Vatican released a copy of the telegram April 6. Cardinal Tettamanzi, who was to preside over the April 8 funeral Mass, said he would always remember Archbishop Macchi's great sense of friendship and generosity. He was an extremely loyal secretary to Pope Paul and spent years preserving the memory and image of the late pope, the cardinal said in an interview with the Italian Catholic newspaper Avvenire April 6.

German Jesuit teaches Christian values in Muslim Kosovo

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- To teach Christian values in predominantly Muslim Kosovo, Jesuit Father Walter Happel uses a secular facade. The German priest is executive director of a Prizren, Kosovo, private school. In its brochure for the public, it is portrayed as a school that teaches "in the European sense"; it does not mention Christian values. Language and science classes are emphasized; the school does not offer religion classes. But the school is called Loyola-Gymnasium Prizren, named after St. Ignatius of Loyola. Its donors include Renovabis, a German Catholic movement; the German dioceses of Cologne and Limburg; and the Italian bishops' conference. And, he even had a Christmas tree in the school this year, Father Happel told Catholic News Service in an April 4 interview during a visit to Washington. The facade is necessary because only seven years ago the ethnic and religious fighting in the region pitted majority separatist Albanian Muslims against minority Christian Serbs. And teaching religious education in a school opens a debate Father Happel chooses to avoid.
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:51 pm
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 06:53 pm
April 10th, 2006
by
Howie Kalb, S.J.
Jesuit Community
Isaiah42:1-7
Psalm 27:1, 2, 3, 13-14
John 12:1-11

Praying Lent
Daily Lenten Prayer

In today's reading from Isaiah, we hear the first of three "Servant Songs." It's not clear who exactly the servant might be; the prophet himself, Israel then or sometime in the future or as Christianity has always maintained, the Messiah, Jesus Christ. It is almost uncanny how it seems to reflect so much of Jesus' life. A person could conjecture that Jesus knew the passage and then set out to fulfill it in the three years of his public life.

Jesus spent much of his energy promoting and bringing about justice. He multiplied the loaves and fishes to see that people had enough to eat. He cured lepers so that they could be a normal part of society. And for those isolated from one another Jesus used his power "To open the eyes of the blind, to bring out prisoners from confinement, and from the dungeon, those who live in darkness." He was a champion in helping to provide the basic necessities of life for the people.

Then there are the words "my chosen one in whom I am well pleased." These same words were heard from heaven referring to Jesus on a few occasions like at his baptism in the Jordan and at his Transfiguration on the mountaintop. I'm sure it confirmed him in his mission and gave his followers further reason to believe in him.

During his public life Jesus certainly didn't promote an image of himself as a powerful and triumphant Messiah. Rather the legacy that would remain was that of the "Suffering Servant." How much he reflected weakness and vulnerability are pictured by the "Bruised reed that he shall not break and a smoldering wick he shall not quench." Jesus was just the opposite of the militaristic and conquering Messiah expected by the Scribes and Pharisees.

Too often we measure success in victories and accomplishments that can be measured in rewards and trophies. Seldom do we think of "greatness" as fulfilling the purpose God planned when he placed us here on earth. In the Gospel we read that many people became believers in Jesus because of Lazarus whom the Lord raised from the dead. As far as we know from Scripture, Lazarus is noted for little more than his miraculous resurrection. "And the chief priests plotted to kill Lazarus too, because many of the Jews were turning away and believing in Jesus because of him." It wasn't what he did but what Jesus did with him that made him a celebrity and a great recruiter for Jesus' cause. It's good to realize that becoming the person God planned us to be does more to further God's Kingdom than by what we do or say.

[email protected]

0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:12 am
Suspended Catholic priest launches his own church

COBOURG, ONT. (Apr 8, 2006)

After six months, Rev. Edward Cachia finally found himself in a pulpit again last Sunday, surrounded by worshippers he thought he would never again lead in prayer.

"It felt really good,'' the priest said of the new church he has started, which is called Christ the Servant.

The 56-year-old priest was suspended from the Roman Catholic church in October after defending the ordination of women.

More than 300 worshippers filled a makeshift sanctuary in Cold Springs, just outside Cobourg, Ont., to take part in Cachia's first service.

PDF View newspaper page (PDF)

Printer Friendly Printer friendly format
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:15 am
Fifth Sunday of Lent
April 2, 2006

Thomas J. Gumbleton
Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese
of Detroit, Michigan *

This week's readings **

Jeremiah 31:31-34
"Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Hebrews 5:7-9
In the days of His flesh, He offered up both prayers and supplications with loud crying and tears to the One able to save Him from death, and He was heard because of His piety. Although He was a Son, He learned obedience from the things which He suffered. And having been made perfect, He became to all those who obey Him the source of eternal salvation.

John 12:20-33
Now there were some Greeks among those who were going up to worship at the feast; these then came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida of Galilee, and began to ask him, saying, "Sir, we wish to see Jesus." Philip came and told Andrew; Andrew and Philip came and told Jesus. And Jesus answered them, saying, "The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, 'Father, save Me from this hour'? But for this purpose I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name " Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again." So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, "An angel has spoken to Him." Jesus answered and said, "This voice has not come for My sake, but for your sakes. Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself." But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die.

* A longtime national and international activist in the peace movement, Bishop Gumbleton is a founding member of Pax Christi USA and an outspoken critic of the sanctions against Iraq.
He has appeared on numerous radio and television programs, and has published numerous articles and reports.

* Scripture texts in this work are in modified form from the American Standard Version of the Bible and are available as part of the public domain.

For your convenience, the Scripture texts, as they appear in the Lectionary for Mass for Use in the Dioceses of the United States, second typical edition, Copyright ©1998, 1997, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, Washington, D.C., may be found at the website of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCC).
http://www.usccb.org/nab/

**The Web link to Pax Christi is provided as a service to our readers.

The Scriptures today are very powerful -- a profound call to all of us. Especially the Gospel lesson. But to truly understand what is happening in the incident that is described in the Gospel, we have to go back to something that we heard at the beginning of Lent. The first Sunday of Lent, we heard about how Jesus was driven out into the desert to pray for 40 days and 40 nights in deep communion with God, and there he was assaulted by the devil, by very extreme temptations to follow a different way from what God was asking of him. When Luke describes that, he says, "When the devil had exhausted every way of tempting Jesus, he left him to return another time." This is what is happening in the Gospel incident today. It's the temptation presented to Jesus once more not to follow God's way, which is so radical and so different that it seems it cannot really be something that human persons can follow.

Dear Reader of Peace Pulpit,

We need your help. We are pleased to make available -- at no charge -- Peace Pulpit. But we cannot do all we need to do without your financial assistance.

Please take a moment to consider contributing to the Friends of NCR campaign. National Catholic Reporter is a nonprofit organization. Contributions are tax-deductible in the United States.

Contributions may be sent to:
National Catholic Reporter
115 E. Armour Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64111
USA

Make checks out to: NCR

If you wish, you may print a form for submitting your donation. You may also use this form for credit card donations.

Print a Contribution Form

OR

Donate Now Online

The Greeks who wanted to see Jesus are people from outside the chosen people; they are called Greeks, but they are like aliens. They approach Phillip because he is from Bethsaida, which is on the border of the Promised Land of Galilee and beyond that are the outsiders. They heard about Jesus, they want to know Jesus, they want to see Jesus, and remember, this is happening at the beginning of the last week of the life of Jesus. He has just come into Jerusalem, people are proclaiming him the king of the Jews, the one who is going to restore their freedom, their liberty, the one who is going to push out the occupying Romans, the one who will be the great ruler. So these people want to get to know Jesus, but Jesus isn't thinking at all about being a great ruler. He had rejected, in those temptations, what the devil was suggesting -- turn those stones into bread, you will have all the wealth of the world that you would want, people with wealth can do things, get things done, they are powerful; or be a wonderworker, throw yourself from the pinnacle of the Temple and God will hold you up and everybody will be astounded and people will come flocking to you; or have all the kingdoms of the world, the armies, the power, that's how you're going to change the world, dominate it, rule it with power, with armies, with wealth.

But Jesus is not thinking of that. He's thinking of all that's going to happen to him at the end of the week. He's going to experience unbelievable suffering, torture and be put to death in the most cruel and shameful way that people could devise.

He tells the parable about the seed falling into the ground. I'm sure many of us have been consoled by that parable when we think about our death or the death of someone very close to us, how death is really like a seed falling into the ground and dying so it can break forth into new life. Jesus recites this parable for his own comfort at this moment, I think. He dreads his death -- as we would -- especially the terrible kind of death that he is going to experience. He begins to think about how, through his death, new life can come, marvelous life, unending life -- not just for himself but for all of humankind. So he tells that parable.

It must have been somewhat consoling and reassuring for him, as it would be for any of us. Yet, he still gets to the point where what's going to happen begins to overwhelm him, and the temptation to do it another way must be very attractive, because John tells us that Jesus became very disturbed. The word John uses, the word that says Jesus was emotionally distraught, means "torn apart" within himself, and then he cries out, "What shall I say? God deliver me from this hour?" The real temptation is to say, "Deliver me from this way, let me go another way, the way that seems so attractive, that seems so sensible, that seems to be how everybody does it."

I think we easily underestimate the turmoil in this reading, the stress that Jesus must have been feeling. We think somehow, "Oh, he knew what was going to happen, he wasn't really under stress." No, this is true, he as a human, in his humanness, he fully feared and wanted to reject the way that God was leading him. But then, as he did earlier, with God's help, he is able to say, "No, no, don't deliver me from this hour, this is why I have come, and so God, glorify your name." Then God affirms this by saying, "I have glorified it and I will glorify it again." Through the death and the resurrection of Jesus, God will glorify God's name. And so Jesus accepts the way of God once more and very shortly he will be arrested and it will all begin to happen.

How does he come to accept it? Well certainly because he was in constant communion with God in his prayer, but the other lessons today suggest to us how Jesus must have tried to cope with the devil coming back again and always trying to take him from the way God was leading him.
Don't miss a homily
To receive an e-mail notice when The Peace Pulpit is posted every week, sign up here.
Click on the link at the top right of this page to send the column to a friend or colleague.

Jesus at various times, and perhaps even at this instance, remembered those marvelous and beautiful, powerful words of Jeremiah. Here was a time when God's people were under attack and Jeremiah had been warning them -- this had been going on for 50 years. He kept calling them back and the people kept rejecting God's way and God's word. Finally it happened, the Babylonian army came in, they destroyed the Temple, they carried the people off into exile. Now you would think there would be total despair. But there wasn't. Jeremiah, with God's insight, sees how God can bring good out of evil and how God takes the initiative.

The people have been unfaithful but God takes the initiative once more and says, "I will make a new covenant with you." It's something very hopeful. The relationship with God is not going to be destroyed forever and the new covenant is going to be something far more marvelous then the covenant God had made with the people through the agency of Moses and the two tablets with God's ways written down on them.

Now God says, "This is the covenant I shall make with Israel after that time. I will put my law within their hearts." Not just a written law on tablets of stone, but God will enter into the heart of each one. "I will be their God and they will be my people. They will not have to teach each other, neighbor or brother or sister, saying they know the Lord, because they will all know me, from the greatest to the lowliest. I will no longer remember their sins and will forgive their wrongdoing."

God will begin to live and speak within the heart of each person, each one of us.

So in spite of the suffering, in spite of the evil that has been present in the world, in spite of what the Chosen People did in failing to live up to the covenant, in spite of how many times we fail, God is reaching out in love, taking a new initiative, making a new covenant with us, assuring us that God will enter into our hearts and write God's very law of love within our hearts.

Each of us can know God, not through any other person, but each of us has immediate access to God. That's a very hopeful and beautiful promise on God's part, and I'm sure it's what gave Jesus strength.

Also in that passage from the Letter to the Hebrews, we're told how Jesus, "in the days of his mortal life, suffered with tears and cries, he prayed to God who could save him from death and although he was Son, he learned through suffering what obedience was."

That word "obedience" is a very important word. It means to listen deeply. So from his suffering, Jesus was able to listen deeply to God and to experience deeply God speaking within him, showing him the way that he must go, assuring him that this is the way that the world will be transformed -- not through wealth and power and armies and kingdoms -- but through the fascinating power of love.

"I, when I am lifted up in the Crucifixion and the Resurrection, will be the image of unlimited love. I, when I am lifted up, will draw all people to myself, bring healing to the world, healing to every person, through that fascinating power of love, nothing else, only love and love not just of those who love us but love even of our enemies." That's how we will transform the world.

It's so clear what Jesus is called to do and he accepts it. Now we as followers of Jesus, are we not called in the same way? To accept the same way of God's love? How we will bring about the transformation of our world into the reign of God?

There are many ways in which we could apply this powerful Scripture lesson today, but I remind you once more of the program on the death penalty that we are having and how the church is now emphasizing that we must abolish such a cruel thing as the death penalty, must get rid of vindictiveness and vengeance, and love even perpetrators of terrible crimes. The Jesus, who could walk up to Judas, his betrayer, responsible for what was happening, and embrace him and kiss him, is a Jesus who surely is showing us "no" to the death penalty. Or the Jesus, who, while being lifted up, loving everyone, loves even those who were torturing him. "Father, forgive them." Surely that same Jesus is teaching us that we must not, ever, kill another person for any reason whatsoever. Even the guilty person. No, the way of love is a way that has no limits. We love everyone, even our enemies.

The other thing that I think about is this strategic plan of the archdiocese -- it's going to affect us. In some ways we're going to have to change as a parish family because it's very clear from the strategic plan that there will not be one priest for every parish in the Archdiocese of Detroit. Smaller parishes like ours are obviously not going to have their own priest as pastor, which is something that has gone on here for almost 120 years. So it's a radical change, and we could be bitter and angry about it, but we can also, like Jesus, learn to listen deeply to our suffering and God will show us the way to new life, to greater life. If we continue to be a community that reaches out in love, then even if we don't have our own priest or if we're clustered with another parish or whatever, we can still be a community that demonstrates the way of God's fascinating power of love. But it will take some prayer and some deep listening, in our suffering, to God's word so that we can follow God's way.

In a few moments we will celebrate the sacrament of reconciliation. This is one more time when God shows us how God reaches out with God's initiative of love that will heal and make us whole. So as we celebrate that sacrament, I hope we will be trying to reflect deeply on all that God has spoken to us this morning, through God's word. Then we will commit ourselves, truly, to try to reject those ways of power and wealth and violence, the ways of the world, and follow only the way of Jesus, the way that shows us that through the fascinating power of love, we can transform our own lives and transform our world.

In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

*Editor's Note: The "Little Black Books" that Bishop Gumbleton mentions are produced in the Diocese of Saginaw, Michigan. During his tenure as bishop of the Saginaw, Bishop Ken Untener wrote inspirational passages based on Scripture for each day of special seasons of the Liturgical Church year, Advent, Lent, Easter. The name of each small book comes from the color of its simple cover: black, blue or white. They became so popular that parishes, religious orders, and other folks from beyond the diocese began ordering them. Bishop Untener died March 27, 2004, after a short struggle with cancer. In his honor and memory, his friends in the diocese continue to publish these meditation booklets. To order these books, visit the Web site for the Diocese of Saginaw.
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:19 am
Lucky Number Slevin

NEW YORK (CNS) -- Sometimes, seven's not such a lucky number.

"Lucky Number Slevin" (MGM/Weinstein) is a stylish but grim thriller about a remarkably easygoing young man named Slevin (Josh Hartnett) who is mistaken for someone named "Nick Foster" in whose apartment he's staying.

Before a flirtation with Lindsey (Lucy Liu), the pretty neighbor across the hall, can turn into anything deeper, he finds himself caught between two rival crime kingpins who were once partners -- the Boss (Morgan Freeman) and the Rabbi (Ben Kingsley) -- each of whom claims Slevin owes them thousand of dollars. The enemies glower at each other from high atop their facing New York skyscrapers.

The Boss hires Slevin to kill the Rabbi's beloved son -- who happens to be gay -- after the Rabbi was allegedly responsible for his own son's death. The Rabbi, in turn, wants Slevin to bump off the Boss, or else.

Much mayhem and double dealing ensues.

On the plus side, there are good performances by all, including Bruce Willis as an assassin named Mr. Goodkat (hired for "all the jobs no one else will do") in the employ of the Boss and Stanley Tucci as the detective who's on Slevin's trail, some undeniably suspenseful sequences, and a few clever and surprising twists.

But director Paul McGuigan's film, written by Jason Smilovic, is ultimately pretty formulaic underneath the flashy edginess. But it's the pervasive revenge motif -- the aforementioned situation, as well as other set-ups here -- that precludes recommendation.

The film contains considerable violence with bloodshed (though shown with quick edits), profanity and rough language, a graphic sexual encounter with a prostitute with upper female and rear male nudity, innuendo, a premarital sexual encounter, a gratuitous and highly irreligious remark, and illegal betting activities. The USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is O -- morally offensive. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is R -- restricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.

Forbes is director of the Office for Film & Broadcasting of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

* Movie Reviews
* Lucky Number Slevin
* Phat Girlz
* Friends With Money
* Brick
* ATL
* Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing & Charm School
* Basic Instinct 2
* Slither
* Ice Age: The Meltdown
* Stay Alive
* American Gun
* Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector
* Inside Man
* The Big Question
* V for Vendetta

* Video Reviews
* I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete First Season
* Karol: A Man Who Became Pope
* Memoirs of a Geisha
* Stalag 17: Special Collector's Edition
* Stay
* Have No Fear: The Life of John Paul II
* Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story
* Capote

Purchase photos through dotphoto

advertising media plus
l'osservatore romano
archdiocese of baltimore
maryland catholic conference
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:21 am
Phat Girlz

NEW YORK (CNS) -- "Phat Girlz" (Fox Searchlight) is a romantic comedy about an aspiring plus-size fashion designer (Mo'Nique) riddled with insecurities, who wins a trip to Palm Springs, Calif., where she -- accompanied by her skinny cousin (Joyful Drake) and plump best friend (Kendra C. Johnson) -- is wooed by an attractive Nigerian doctor (Jimmy Jean-Louis), who explains that in his homeland ladies of her size are the ideal of beauty.

Written and directed by Nnegest Likke and with a vivacious performance by Mo'Nique, the sporadically entertaining film encourages self-esteem and self-acceptance, but this positive message is sullied by its freewheeling attitude toward premarital sex and its bawdy tone.

The film contains recurring sexual banter and lewd humor, including an erotic dream sequence, several sexual encounters, suggestive costumes, pervasive crass language and a few instances of profanity. The USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is L -- limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-13 -- parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.

DiCerto is on the staff of the Office for Film & Broadcasting of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:22 am
he Benchwarmers

NEW YORK (CNS) -- Even if you were picked last in gym class, you'll find little amusement in "Benchwarmers" (Columbia), a lame comedy about inclusion, sportsmanship and embracing your inner nerd. And while it's a marked improvement over star Rob Schneider's last outing as "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo," the bar was set mighty low.

Schneider plays undersized landscaper Gus, who, together with his dorky buddies -- video clerk Richie (David Spade) and newspaper delivery boy Clark (Jon Heder of "Napoleon Dynamite") -- is recruited by geek-turned-billionaire Mel (Jon Lovitz) to play against various Little League teams of bullying jocks in a tournament he's sponsoring. By beating them, the trio will win respect for every picked-on kid.

Despite a commendable underdog message and some occasional funny moments, director Dennis Dugan's film strikes out, its "Bad News Bears" script straining under forced laughs and sophomoric slapstick.

The film contains recurring crass humor and sight gags, some sex jokes including running gay innuendo and a crude gesture, as well as a smattering of crude language. The USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting classification is A-III -- adults. The Motion Picture Association of America rating is PG-13 -- parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.

DiCerto is on the staff of the Office for Film & Broadcasting of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.

* Movie Reviews
* The Benchwarmers
* Lucky Number Slevin
* Phat Girlz
* Friends With Money
* Brick
* ATL
* Marilyn Hotchkiss Ballroom Dancing & Charm School
* Basic Instinct 2
* Slither
* Ice Age: The Meltdown
* Stay Alive
* American Gun
* Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector
* Inside Man
* The Big Question

* Video Reviews
* I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete First Season
* Karol: A Man Who Became Pope
* Memoirs of a Geisha
* Stalag 17: Special Collector's Edition
* Stay
* Have No Fear: The Life of John Paul II
* Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story
* Capote

advertising media plus
l'osservatore romano
archdiocese of baltimore

Today's News | Movie & Video Reviews | Links | Archives
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:24 am
WEBSITES THAT INSPIRE AND INFORM
Be a missionary

Learn more about how to be a Catholic missionary in your everyday life. Log on to http://www.catholicmission.org for information on this important calling. The Web site has a "What Can I Do?" page that lists simple ways to be a missionary. The Web site also has lots of information on the late Pope John Paul II and his calling for every Catholic to be a missionary.

Disciples in mission

Do you know about Disciples in Mission? Read all about the Paulist National Catholic Evangelization Association at http://www.disciplesinmission.org. The Web site offers detailed information about the materials and has ordering information for parishes. Check it out this Lenten season.

Catholic home study

Those looking for a return to Catholic school can do so right from the comfort of home thanks to the Catholic Study program found at http://www.intermirifica.org/courses.htm. Please note, there are fees involved with the courses. Log on to the Web site to learn about the various courses and review sample lessons.

It's Your Turn! Do you have a Web site you'd like to share with Catholic Review readers? If so, send an e-mail with the Web site address to: [email protected]. Please put Web Column in the subject line of the e-mail.

Disclaimer: The Catholic Review does pre-screen the above Web sites. However, please note, they are for entertainment only. The Catholic Review does not endorse any of the above Web sites or the companies affiliated with the Web sites.

advertising media plus
l'osservatore romano
archdiocese of baltimore

Today's News | Movie & Video Reviews | Links | Archives | Faith on the Internet | Faith Alive!
Electronic Paper | About Us | Contact | Advertising | Subscriptions | The Cathedral Foundation | Cathedral Press
L'Osservatore Romano | Catholic Printing Services | Advertising Media Plus | Catholic Store
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 11:30 am
websites to check out daily:

www.americancatholic.org

www.cruxnews.com

www.creighton.edu/ministry

Happy Easter to All!

Nancyann Deren, IOLA

:wink: Laughing Razz Very Happy
0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 03:41 pm
April 12th, 2006
by
Dick Hauser, S.J.
Rector and Theology Department
Isaiah 50:4-9a
Psalm 69:8-10, 21-22, 31 and 33-34
Matthew 26:14-25

Praying Lent
Daily Lenten Prayer

In recent years theologians have been reminding us of a much overlooked truth about Jesus: Jesus was truly human. For many centuries this truth was not adequately acknowledged. Many of us grew up with an understanding that Jesus' divinity overshadowed his humanity and therefore he was not truly human. We more or less ignored the dogmatic teaching of the Council of Chalcedon that Jesus was not only truly divine but also truly human. Vatican Council Two in The Church Today, paragraph 22, reminds us of this important truth about Jesus: "He worked with human hands, He thought with a human mind, acted by human choice, and loved with a human heart. Born of the Virgin Mary, He has truly been made one of us, like us in all things except sin."

Since Jesus was truly human he experienced the full range of human suffering. In today's gospel we see Him experiencing an acute human suffering: the suffering of betrayal by a friend. Jesus was betrayed by Judas. Jesus had gathered his inner circle of friends around him for a last meal. He needed to be strengthened by their presence especially in light of the opposition arising against him. In the midst of the meal Judas betrays him. What loneliness and frustration Jesus must have experienced. His closest friends, the very ones he loved the most and had chosen to carry on his mission, did not understand him. One betrayed him, another soon denied him, and all eventually abandoned him.

Many of us have suffered the pain of misunderstanding and betrayal by close family and friends. I believe it is the human suffering most difficult to forgive. I struggled for years to forgive after a betrayal situation. But I just couldn't. Even after I prayed for the grace to forgive in annual retreats and confessed regularly my lack of forgiveness, resentment and anger kept welling up, to my embarrassment. Yet I continued to pray the Lord's Prayer: "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Then one day in prayer I was given a special grace: I realized that Jesus had been betrayed. Since He had been betrayed and he was truly human. He knew the pain I was going through! This was all I needed. As I bonded with Jesus in my hurt, my lack of forgiveness melted away and I was soon completely healed.

Holy Week is an important time for dealing with suffering. Suffering can be the occasion for bonding more intimately with the suffering Jesus and becoming closer to Him -- if we bring our suffering to Him. Paul calls this transformation "the wisdom of the cross."

"We adore you, O Christ, and we bless You, because by your holy cross You have saved the world."

[email protected]

0 Replies

nancyann Deren IOLA

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 03:42 pm
April 13th, 2005
by
Joan Blandin Howard
Christian Spirituality Program
Holy Thursday
Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper
Exodus 12:1-8, 11-14
Psalm 116:12-13, 15-16bc, 17-18
1 Corinthians 11:23-26
John 13:1-15
Praying Lent
Daily Lenten Prayer

Preparing for Holy Thursday
Preparing for Good Friday

Holy Thursday is one of the most sacred days in the Church year; yet we read of Jesus performing a seemingly menial task. Jesus washes the feet of his disciples.

This Lenten season we have walked with Jesus as his awareness of who he is comes into full focus. His public life has been about the gradual awareness of who he is as revealed by the Father. His public life is not essentially about the external signs of healing, compassion and friendship - they are the fruits of the relationship. Jesus is so much more than the signs and miracles He performs. Jesus is the sign, the symbol, the Son of the Father. He is God's presence with man, with me. He is the "lamb…without blemish" referred to in Exodus. Jesus came to (know) "knew that his hour had come to pass from this world to the Father. He loved his own in the world and he loved them to the end." "…fully aware …that he had come from God and was returning to God…" Jesus is who he is only in union with the Father. It is their relationship that allows Jesus to be who he is.

Jesus is the living unblemished relationship of himself and God. All of Jesus' acts during his public life testify to his relationship with God and with us, his beloved ones.

Who washes whose feet?
When an infant is born she arrives lathered in white lanolin like cream. Parents anoint and gently massage the beloved newborn with this rich creamy natural oil. Counting fingers and toes we anoint our infants. Feet so tiny and soft, sensitive to our slightest touch captivate us. As tears of joy and gratitude filled our eyes, we anointed each other with the same lanolin of new life. Sacramental oil and a sacramental blessing.

The hospice patient's feet are visibly mapped with red and blue veins under colorless filament thin skin. Callused toes and feet misshapen from years of advanced arthritis lie motionless. Tenderly, sacramentally, someone messages aged and unresponsive feet.

Old Man Matthew was born not only with one club foot, but his "good" foot was so malformed that in order to walk, he ties a coconut shell to the bottom of his foot. This gives him a rocking motion that propels him forward. This and his bamboo cane allow him to walk on very spindly legs. Pussy, smelly, open sores on both feet and up his legs are wrapped in banana leaves. Daily someone from the village tenderly soaks, massages and rewraps his grotesquely misshapen, badly abused feet and infected legs.

Jesus does not ask if he may wash his beloved friends' feet. There is urgency about the act. "Unless I wash you, you will have no inheritance with me." Jesus must do this. These are healthy well used feet! Jesus' love for his disciples humbles them.

Tonight we take part in the memorial ritual of the washing of the feet. A potentially humbling experience for all concerned. Yet Jesus insists. Jesus' love humbles me.

Am I called to wash another's feet or to allow another to wash my feet? Can I allow the presence of Jesus to come that close?

[email protected]

0 Replies