The arguments of God's nonexistence

Im the other one

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 11:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
The sperm count of men are the highest sometime before age 20, and decreases with advancing age. By about 35, the sperms are much less healthy. The health of the father determines the ability of sperms to also be healthy. That's the reason why we hear of much older men fathering a child. Drinking can damage sperms, so it's a good idea to stay away from heavy drinking if you're working to have a child.

Or plan on driving. :wink:
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 11:42 pm
It is true that a lack of faith does not make it untrue, as much as faith does not make it true.

But never did I say faith made things false. I said that faith is not necessarily true.

Your not requiring it is you making yourself gullible or credulous. You lose the ability to test things. You lose the ability to gain truth.

Whereas you are prepared for all sorts of practical tests: the more dogmatic and convinced you are, the more happy you are to risk.

The more faiths you abosorb, the more your risks fail to pay off. You make an expensive partner, but is it any worse than that? Clifford, of course, tells us that it is. Your habit is dangerous. Your disrespect for caution, for evidence, for plausibility may lead you anywhere. 'Those who can make you believe absurdities,' said Voltaire, 'can make you commit atrocities.'
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 11:44 pm
I keep seeing faith in God is superstition.

First off, superstition comes from satan. Faith in God cannot come from satan. That would be dividing his Kingdom. Also, God cannot come from satan since he created him.

So..either way you look at it...just doesn't add up.

But of course, this would only be for those who believes in the spirit world.
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 11:48 pm
Quote:

I'm using this definition:an irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear

Any kind of faith at all is dangerous. And it doesn't necessarily apply to religion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 02:09 am
aktorist Wrote:

Quote:
It is true that a lack of faith does not make it untrue, as much as faith does not make it true.

But never did I say faith made things false. I said that faith is not necessarily true.

Actually, somewhere didn't you say there are no rights or wrongs? To be honest with you, half the time I have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Your not requiring it is you making yourself gullible or credulous. You lose the ability to test things. You lose the ability to gain truth.

No, actually, it just makes me what I am. I believe in God. I have faith. I don't require proof. To require proof of God, IMO, is the height of arrogance.

Whereas you are prepared for all sorts of practical tests: the more dogmatic and convinced you are, the more happy you are to risk.

Haven't got a clue as to what this is supposed to mean. Sorry.

The more faiths you abosorb, the more your risks fail to pay off. You make an expensive partner, but is it any worse than that? Clifford, of course, tells us that it is. Your habit is dangerous. Your disrespect for caution, for evidence, for plausibility may lead you anywhere. 'Those who can make you believe absurdities,' said Voltaire, 'can make you commit atrocities.'

Do you suppose you could translate that for me? Look, I am a 49 year old housewife who lives in Louisiana and runs a cat shelter. I am not in some philosophy class. You may very well be an intelligent human being but if I can't understand what you mean, it's gibberish to me. I do not mean that disrespectfully. I just don't talk the way you do.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:47 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Beena- Welcome to the club! There were times that I wanted to leave, but for some reason, I was always drawn back!

You mean welcome back? Thanks Phoenix. By the way how do you guys have all these like 17, 000 posts? Oh! My God! If I were to write that much, even I would confound myself with all my ideas!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:15 am
LOL beena! ME TOO!

Only 566 more posts till I can PM people!!

Whoooooo hoooooooooo
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:20 am
Quote:
Total posts: 17331
[1.00% of total / 14.29 posts per day]

Beena- I have been hanging around A2K since September 2002. I only post, on the average, of a little more than 14 posts a day. I can do that in 15 minutes, if I wanted!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 08:01 am
I'm the other one wrote:

First off, superstition comes from satan. Faith in God cannot come from satan. That would be dividing his Kingdom. Also, God cannot come from satan since he created him.

So..either way you look at it...just doesn't add up.

But of course, this would only be for those who believes in the spirit world.

You're attempting to validate a fairy tale by quoting a fairy tale. Quaint.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:34 pm
aktorist wrote:
Quote:

I'm using this definition:an irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear

Any kind of faith at all is dangerous. And it doesn't necessarily apply to religion.

Oh, ok...I wasn't trying to be mean or anything I meant to post this for another superstitious post but couldn't find it.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 05:39 am
Implicator wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Main Entry: murder
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: killing
Synonyms: annihilation, assassination, big chill, blood, bloodshed, bump-off, butchery, capital murder, carnage, crime, death, destruction, dispatching, dust-off, felony, foul play, hit, homicide, kiss-off, knifing, liquidation, lynching, manslaughter, massacre, off, offing, one-way ticket, shooting, slaying, taking out, terrorism, the business, the works, wasting

v. mur·dered, mur·der·ing, mur·ders
v. tr.
To kill (another human) unlawfully.
To kill brutally or inhumanly.
To put an end to; destroy: murdered their chances.
To spoil by ineptness; mutilate: a speech that murdered the English language.
Slang. To defeat decisively; trounce.

When I speak of murder, I speak of the first definition - to kill unlawfully.

Let's talk about your first example then, for the sake of this argument. Since your argument depends so much on this definition, I will try to explain it to you with logic. The word "unlawful" used in the definition of murder is when a person is killed with no reason that would constitute to the law of the society that imposes it. Using your own example (the serial killer who is put to death by the state), for instance, falls into the definition of "lawful," since his death is justified by the state that prosecuted him. Since his death is "justified" (falls into the lawful reason of the state, to kill him), it isn't consider a murder. But why is "murder" called "murder" and not something else? If I killed a person by accident (I didn't mean to kill that person), such action isn't called "murder"; it is called "manslaughter" (you can ask anyone who has studied Law about this).
In contrast to the example above, if I killed a sheep and the intent to kill this animal is not to please a physical need (hunger), then I'm committing murder. I'm murdering that sheep. And if God demands mankind sacrifices in His name, what would justify those sacrifices to take place in His name, because He doesn't like sacrifices? If He didn't like sacrifices, He wouldn't have asked mankind to make sacrifices in my name. It's simple logic. And you tell me that you don't know the reason of God liking sacrifices. You don't know. So, you don't have much of an argument [here]. You are just speculating, without using physical evidence to backup your claim. We know that God demands mankind to make sacrifices in His name; He even goes through the details on how sacrifices should be made. The evidence that reveal that God likes the gruesome display of blood is simply because He asked mankind to "pour all the blood beside the bottom of the altar" while in the sacrifice ritual. Why is this action necessary for God? Is it because blood would make Him more powerful? That's ridiculous (He is supposed to be all powerful). Is this action necessary because this will bring peace to the world? How is this possible? How is killing an innocent animal bring peace to the world? Since God doesn't provide a logical, or even a reason to kill those animals, His killings are meaningless and evil.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
The murder of people is supposed to be unlawful (depending the person who's being murder had a trial in the US). But I'm not talking about the murder of human beings.

Then what are you talking about?

I'm talking about the meaningless sacrifices of animals in God's name.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Is it lawful to kill a chicken in the US and not eating it?

Last I checked.

"Las time I checked"? You have to go back and recheck, buddy. Didn't you know that if you killed a chicken (with sacrifice purposes, or kill it just for the sake of killing it) in the US, you would get into serious problems with the APA (Animal Protection Agency). And guess what would happen to you? You could get away with it if the APA didn't find out. But this action is illegal in the United States.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Regarding your example about God being love and not enjoying those killings: If I love rabbits (not in gastronomic sense, but in the caring way), and I ask people to kill rabbits in my name, do you think what I feel about the rabbits is love? And the Bible says God is love...the Bible says...

Can God be love and not exhibit love towards everyone? Can God be just and not exhibit justice towards everyone? Who says God must exhibit love (or justice, or any other attribute) towards everyone?

If God is all love, then He should display love to everyone. How can I squeeze an orange and expect apple juice to come out? That doesn't make any sense. God should behave in a way that we humans would learn from His actions. It is simple immoral from His part to have all those attributes and deny them from us. And how would we know He is what He claims He is if He doesn't show those attributes to the world? Why should we believe His word then? I don't think God can "be just and not exhibit justice towards everyone." Isn't God's nature to be just? Why wouldn't He be just and display cruelty? God can't be cruel if He is all love and just. That doesn't make any sense. Well, it is God's nature to be just and loving. Why wouldn't He show us those attributes? Why the mystery? Would He hurt us if He showed us love and justice? We would understand if he showed those attributes to us because we are made in His image. And there aren't any species better to understand Him that the human race, the race He created.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
What kind of evidence do you want me to show you that would tell you that God is a sadist?

Anything that shows God killing with the express purpose of killing - IOW, killing for the sake of killing and for no other reason.

If you understand logic, you would understand my reply.

I
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:07 am
Implicator wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
How is what I'm trying to explain you is imposing? Where is the "" offer or circulate fraudulently; pass off."

You are claiming God is a sadist ... you pass off the Bible as if it shows that he is - but it doesn't, and that is why your claims that you circulate on this board are fraudulant.

Well, I'm using logic to demostrate a proposition. I provided physical evidence from the Bible to illustrate my point with much clarity. And how my argument is a fraud? Can you provide physical evidence from the Bible that would help prove your argument? How can I have a fraudulent argument if you don't show evidence of such thing?

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Can you provide physical evidence about God not being a sadist

I don't need to ... all I need to do is rebut your claim that he is, which I have done.
No, you have no provided logical, opposing evidence against my claim.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
If you do, you can call me an imposer.

You are an imposer.

You are funny (I'm probably the only person who might find this comical). "Imposer"? (1) you don't provide physical evidence that would make your argument more efficient against mine (2) you keep pushing the illogical down my throat without any credulity (3) you only provide guesses, opinions without considering the specifics (4) and you Judge me by calling me an imposer. Well, it is clear that one of us is the imposer; and I'm not one of them.

I
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:49 am
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Main Entry: murder
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: killing
Synonyms: annihilation, assassination, big chill, blood, bloodshed, bump-off, butchery, capital murder, carnage, crime, death, destruction, dispatching, dust-off, felony, foul play, hit, homicide, kiss-off, knifing, liquidation, lynching, manslaughter, massacre, off, offing, one-way ticket, shooting, slaying, taking out, terrorism, the business, the works, wasting

v. mur•dered, mur•der•ing, mur•ders
v. tr.
To kill (another human) unlawfully.
To kill brutally or inhumanly.
To put an end to; destroy: murdered their chances.
To spoil by ineptness; mutilate: a speech that murdered the English language.
Slang. To defeat decisively; trounce.

When I speak of murder, I speak of the first definition - to kill unlawfully.

Let's talk about your first example then, for the sake of this argument. Since your argument depends so much on this definition, I will try to explain it to you with logic.

Actually, it is your argument that depends on this definition, Jason.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
The word "unlawful" used in the definition of murder is when a person is killed with no reason that would constitute to the law of the society that imposes it. Using your own example (the serial killer who is put to death by the state), for instance, falls into the definition of "lawful," since his death is justified by the state that prosecuted him. Since his death is "justified" (falls into the lawful reason of the state, to kill him), it isn't consider a murder.

Exactly the point I was making - if a person kills within the law, then he is not guilty of murder. And so if you want to charge God with murder, you need to show that his killing was not lawful. You can't simply question his motivation; you have to actually show that it is against the law. This, of course, begs the question of which law you need to evaluate his actions against. Your task is not an easy one.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
But why is "murder" called "murder" and not something else? If I killed a person by accident (I didn't mean to kill that person), such action isn't called "murder"; it is called "manslaughter" (you can ask anyone who has studied Law about this).

I am familiar with the definition of "manslaughter".

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
In contrast to the example above, if I killed a sheep and the intent to kill this animal is not to please a physical need (hunger), then I'm committing murder. I'm murdering that sheep.

No, that is not entirely true, at least not as an analogy to killing a man. If I chose to kill a man to please a physical need, then I am committing murder, as it is against the law to kill another human for the purpose of eating them … at least in the US.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
And if God demands mankind sacrifices in His name, what would justify those sacrifices to take place in His name, because He doesn't like sacrifices?

Excellent question … I think you have hit the nail on the head. What exactly would justify sacrifices taking place in God's name? Well, if God is the creator of everything, then it is he who decides what is just and what is not. It would by him that the very concept of justice existed in the first place. It would be by him that concepts like love, fairness, equity, etc. form their meaning. It would be by him that the logic that you and I use has its existence. If God really exists, then his command, in conjunction with who he is, would be sufficient justification. That's the heart of the matter in all arguments of this type.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
If He didn't like sacrifices, He wouldn't have asked mankind to make sacrifices in my name. It's simple logic. And you tell me that you don't know the reason of God liking sacrifices. You don't know. So, you don't have much of an argument [here]. You are just speculating, without using physical evidence to backup your claim.

My argument has been to rebut your argument, to show you (specifically) that you have not met your burden of proof in naming God as a sadist and/or murderer. It matters not one whit that I don't prove he isn't one, what matters is that I have rebutted your every attempt to prove that he is. Until such time as you can present some evidence (other than personal speculation) that shows God kills unlawfully and/or kills just for the sake of the kill, your argument does not succeed. I think you know this, as you constantly attempt to shift the burden back to me to prove that he is not what you claim, but as you made the initial positive assertion here, the burden is all yours.

Jason Proudmoore wrote:
We know that God demands mankind to make sacrifices in His name; He even goes through the details on how sacrifices should be made. The evidence that reveal that God likes the gruesome display of blood is simply because He asked mankind to "pour all the blood beside the bottom of the altar" while in the sacrifice ritual. Why is this action necessary for God? Is it because blood would make Him more powerful? That's ridiculous (He is supposed to be all powerful). Is this action necessary because this will bring peace to the world? How is this possible? How is killing an innocent animal bring peace to the world? Since God doesn't provide a logical, or even a reason to kill those animals, His killings are meaningless and evil.

So because you personally (a limited, finite, fallible human being, at least according to the theory of the Bible) cannot find within yourself a reason as to why God wants a blood offering other than for the sake of blood, there isn't one? How absolutely arrogant of you. See, the problem here is that you won't let God be God even for the sake of argument. You won't let him be the sovereign creator and sustainer, if even for the sake of considering what the Bible says. What you do instead is to bring God down to the level of man so that you can try him in your court of law, according to standards that you have set up yourself. And this is why your argument fails miserably. You can't judge the creator of the universe according to standards intended for man, because God is not a man … he isn't even in the same category.

I'm not going to bother to reply to the remainder of your post. When you are ready to let God be God for the sake of argument, you let me know. Any other type of argument constitutes a straw man - I'm not going to argue against a God of your making.

I
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 06:54 am
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
How is what I'm trying to explain you is imposing? Where is the "" offer or circulate fraudulently; pass off."

You are claiming God is a sadist ... you pass off the Bible as if it shows that he is - but it doesn't, and that is why your claims that you circulate on this board are fraudulant.

Well, I'm using logic to demonstrate a proposition. I provided physical evidence from the Bible to illustrate my point with much clarity. And how my argument is a fraud? Can you provide physical evidence from the Bible that would help prove your argument? How can I have a fraudulent argument if you don't show evidence of such thing?

You are missing the bigger picture here. You have committed the fallacy of an argument from ignorance. This isn't a personal attack, that's just the name of the fallacy. You claim that since you can't think of any reason that God would desire sacrifices other than simply for the sake of enjoying the kill, then there isn't one. That I have indicated I cannot offer an alternate explanation is really of no consequence, as you have not shown that your explanation is valid. In other words, my lack of alternate explanation does not establish your explanation as true. It may further bolster in your own mind that you are correct, but from the standpoint of an argument, it doesn't help your case at all.

I
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:25 am
Excellent programme by Prof Richard Dawkins last night. He really gave religion both barrels. He interviewed some evangelical preacher in the US who came across as quite mad (and who threatened Dawkins and camera team in the car park later)...thoroughly unpleasant. Also found a secular Jew in Jerusalem now converted to militant Islam...completely bonkers. Islam is apparantly going to take over the whole world. Dawkins showed how myth and legent can become accepted dogma, e.g. Pope's pronouncement on the validity of Assumption of Mary.

Dawkins is clearly disappointed if not alarmed that the religious 'meme' shows no sign of dying out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:26 am
Fresco started a thread on that topic, Steve . . . i'll go get you a link . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:28 am
Dawkins TV Programme: "The Root of All Evil" . . .

Of course, he misspelled program, but we expect and tolerate that from right-pondian members . . .
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:54 am
Actually, it is your argument that depends on this definition, Jason.

My argument doesn't depend on the explanation of "murder." You are the one who brought this up to refute my argument. So, the definition of "murder" is your argument. The definition of "murder" is there, you just have to understand it.

Exactly the point I was making - if a person kills within the law, then he is not guilty of murder. And so if you want to charge God with murder, you need to show that his killing was not lawful. You can't simply question his motivation; you have to actually show that it is against the law. This, of course, begs the question of which law you need to evaluate his actions against. Your task is not an easy one.

What is "lawful" in making meaningless sacrifices? He doesn't provide any logical explanation for demanding sacrifices in His name. Should we accept the idea that God is not murdering because He is God? His action (according to the definition of humanity) contradict His nature as being loving. You don't seem to understand this. Don't you understand that the law of God has to make sense to humankind? God can't show His own definition of "lawful" because such definition has to fall into humanity's defintion of "lawful." And God seems to justify lots of things in the Bible that are regarded as loving, but they are contradicted when He does others things that are considered evil. The law that needs to be evaluated is God's law, because I'm a human being and think with human logic. Human logic is a law that can't be broken; it's how we humans do our own reasoning.

I am familiar with the definition of "manslaughter".

I'm glad that know the difference.

No, that is not entirely true, at least not as an analogy to killing a man. If I chose to kill a man to please a physical need, then I am committing murder, as it is against the law to kill another human for the purpose of eating them … at least in the US.

Is not entirely true? Are you for real, man? If you killed a man to please a physical need (hunger), this action is called "canivalism"( look it up)." You can only be called murder if you killed a man with maliscious purposes. Where is the good intention in killing something just for killing it? Doesn't that amount to murder? Of course it does

Excellent question … I think you have hit the nail on the head. What exactly would justify sacrifices taking place in God's name? Well, if God is the creator of everything, then it is he who decides what is just and what is not. It would by him that the very concept of justice existed in the first place. It would be by him that concepts like love, fairness, equity, etc. form their meaning. It would be by him that the logic that you and I use has its existence. If God really exists, then his command, in conjunction with who he is, would be sufficient justification. That's the heart of the matter in all arguments of this type.

What would make killing innocent animals in God's name not being called "murder"? So, you are telling me that if God is the creator of everything we survey, it means that His action (in making meaningless killings of animals) are not meant to be called murder, because He is the creator? This is absurd. His action falls into the definition of what murder is. Well, God can decide what is just and what is not (in His own way), but the human logic contradicts His own logic of "just,"believe it or not.

My argument has been to rebut your argument, to show you (specifically) that you have not met your burden of proof in naming God as a sadist and/or murderer. It matters not one whit that I don't prove he isn't one, what matters is that I have rebutted your every attempt to prove that he is. Until such time as you can present some evidence (other than personal speculation) that shows God kills unlawfully and/or kills just for the sake of the kill, your argument does not succeed. I think you know this, as you constantly attempt to shift the burden back to me to prove that he is not what you claim, but as you made the initial positive assertion here, the burden is all yours.

Why don't you go out right now and sacrifice a pair of sheeps in God's name? You'll see that it is unlawful (and will most likely end up in serious problems with the APA). You see how unlawful that is? And that action (no matter what you or God calls it) is called murder, here on the planet Earth, where you and I (and lots of people) live.

So because you personally (a limited, finite, fallible human being, at least according to the theory of the Bible) cannot find within yourself a reason as to why God wants a blood offering other than for the sake of blood, there isn't one? How absolutely arrogant of you. See, the problem here is that you won't let God be God even for the sake of argument. You won't let him be the sovereign creator and sustainer, if even for the sake of considering what the Bible says. What you do instead is to bring God down to the level of man so that you can try him in your court of law, according to standards that you have set up yourself. And this is why your argument fails miserably. You can't judge the creator of the universe according to standards intended for man, because God is not a man … he isn't even in the same category.

So, it is arrogant of me to show physical evidence (his own words) that show that He demands the display of blood from His sacrifices to be poured at His altar? How can you say such a thing? How arrogant am I? I'm showing evidence of such action. Am I missing anything? I let God be God, but the nature of His existence contradict the logic of mankind (that is for sure), even if His "logic" is something different from ours.

I'm not going to bother to reply to the remainder of your post. When you are ready to let God be God for the sake of argument, you let me know. Any other type of argument constitutes a straw man - I'm not going to argue against a God of your making.

I[/quote]

You are not required to answer anything that you don't want to answer. Anybody reading these arguments is free to refute them.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:07 am
Implicator wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:

Well, I'm using logic to demonstrate a proposition. I provided physical evidence from the Bible to illustrate my point with much clarity. And how my argument is a fraud? Can you provide physical evidence from the Bible that would help prove your argument? How can I have a fraudulent argument if you don't show evidence of such thing?

You are missing the bigger picture here. You have committed the fallacy of an argument from ignorance. This isn't a personal attack, that's just the name of the fallacy. You claim that since you can't think of any reason that God would desire sacrifices other than simply for the sake of enjoying the kill, then there isn't one. That I have indicated I cannot offer an alternate explanation is really of no consequence, as you have not shown that your explanation is valid. In other words, my lack of alternate explanation does not establish your explanation as true. It may further bolster in your own mind that you are correct, but from the standpoint of an argument, it doesn't help your case at all.

I

ig·no·rance
n.
The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed

This is the definition of the word "ignorance." Can you tell me in what way am I "uneducated, unaware, or uninformed" about my argument? I have provided verses from the Bible that illustrate God action as being evil (applying human logic). Can you tell me in what way am I an ignorant and you're not? I'm trying to treat you with respect [here], and you're just disrespecting me by calling me names, judging me. If you know so much about God, why don't you tell us, clarify the obscurities of this argument. If you don't, then you're the one who is misinformed. There is no way that you will be proven right by judging me and calling me names. It's just unethical (I use the word "unethical" in humanity's definition, not God's mysterious definition).
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:15 am
Holy crap I am about to agree with Implicator.
Dubya tee eff.
Anyway..
He is right, Jason. Go research Argumentum ad ignorantiam. You are defending an attack that doesn't exist, while missing the crucial point.
0 Replies