Liberal Hypocrisy about Intelligent Design

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:01 pm
The key word in my sentence is "proven," Parados.

How did you do in picking out key ideas and meanings in Reading? Not too good, eh?

There are scientific theories that are no more proven than the God Did It theory.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:02 pm
The evidence looks like there HAS been testable hypothesis confirmed by observations when it comes to the nebular theory.

http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/denise/Spring03/Mar27/Formation%20of%20the%20Solar%20System_files/image015.jpg
0 Replies

Lash

Which of the five current theories related to the Big Bang do you believe?
0 Replies

echi

I have never taken a linguistics class, but aren't the rules of grammar purely a matter of convention?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:05 pm
Lash wrote:
BTW, however, I wouldn't advocate teaching ID in public schools--but I despise the double standard when many scientific theories are no more proven than the God Made It theory.

I don't think I have a reading comprehension problem Lash. Read your statement above. "No more proven" is a comparative statement.

No attempt to prove is NOT the same as a lot of evidence presented to prove.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:06 pm
Interesting, echi. Could you expand your line of thought?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:17 pm
Lash wrote:
Interesting, echi. Could you expand your line of thought?

Sure. Ebonics was brought up earlier, and it just made me wonder about the reasons for the rules of grammar. Language evolves so I am guessing that grammar must, also. If so, then I really don't see the relevance to science and ID. It's more like apples-to-astronauts.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:20 pm
I thought it was an insult to the intelligence of Ebonics and ID advocates.

Like apples to astronauts, tho.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:23 pm
Parados--

Lash wrote:
Which of the five current theories related to the Big Bang do you believe?

and why do you choose one over the others?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:24 pm
Grammar is often specific to a locality. A simple example is the use of a period when a sentence ends with quotation marks. In the US the period is always inside the quotation marks. In Britian I believe they allow for it to be outside depending on the usage.

He talked about the "God Theory".

I think this would be correct in Britian but in the US it is..

He talked about "God Theory."
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:28 pm
Thanks, parados

So, ebonics may be legitimate, but ID...umm, probably not.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:29 pm
At least not as a science
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:41 pm
Ebonics is as useful as teaching a class in how to speak "redneck."

You will be taught to litter your speech with "ain't", "git," "I seen," and other irritating colloquialisms. It is the height of stupidity <in my humble opinion> to teach stupidity.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:56 pm
Lash wrote:

You will be taught to litter your speech with "ain't", "git," "I seen," and other irritating colloquialisms. It is the height of stupidity <in my humble opinion> to teach stupidity.

Thank you Lash. This thread is now complete.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 05:06 pm
Lash wrote:

I agree. On that basis, I do see a parallel.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 05:14 pm
Lash wrote:

I don't know if anyone has proposed a class aimed at teaching people how to speak Ebonics. I thought it was just a matter of debate as to what it is and where it comes from.
Ebonics apparently has a lot to do with the influence of African dialects on the English language (and other languages, i.e. French in Haiti, Portuguese in Brazil). "Redneck", on the other hand is, IMO, simply a language break down.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 05:25 pm
The Linguistic Society had a resolution on the ebonics issue.
It can be found here. It makes a couple of points about the science involved in using dialects.

http://www.lsadc.org/resolutions/index.php?aaa=ebonics.htm

Quote:
d. There is evidence from Sweden, the US, and other countries that speakers of other varieties can be aided in their learning of the standard variety by pedagogical approaches which recognize the legitimacy of the other varieties of a language. From this perspective, the Oakland School Board's decision to recognize the vernacular of African American students in teaching them Standard English is linguistically and pedagogically sound.

Perhaps they would be comparable if the intention of teaching ID was to aid in the learning of science. However, I don't think that is the intent.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 06:44 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Lash wrote:

Thank you Lash. This thread is now complete.

Many enriching classes are taught studying religion. Religion doesn't equal stupidity. But, pretending it is science would be a different matter.

Ebonics or redneck speech <IMO> are completely unredeemable. Why is ebonics any different than redneck? What influenced redneck colloquialisms? (No, not Budweiser and intermarriage...)

mademelaugh

But, if redneck is a breakdown of a language--doesn't ebonics have to be, as well?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 06:45 pm
But, I should say,as people seem to be trying to tell me--I thought the Ebonics issue was differently posed, so I should look into that.

You say it is the study of the origin?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 06:49 pm
While I study, try this for reading entertainment:

spent a number of years in a total emersion language training program in an inner city neighborhood. I eventually could understand and speak Ebonics, but I could never read or write it. No matter how hard I tried to make out the graffiti 'tags', I was always left dumbfounded. I was ebonically illiterate. So I would sit up straight in my public transportation seat and enjoy the cultural exchange.

-Yo' ****, bitch, you be a mo' ****** all stealin' my seat and ****.
-Shut yo' bitch ass up. It ain't no seat of yo's now mo' ******.
-You be frontin' mo' ******? I be aboust to kick yo' bitch ass.
-Yo' skinny ass ain't 'boust to be kicking **** bitch.
-**** bitch, you's a lucky ho, I be 'boust to be hitting some ****.

Despite my illiteracy, I eventually reached a high level of ebonic understanding. This translation is probably out of date since Ebonics seems to continually evolve and I have been away from it for a while. However the exchange is basically this 'proper' English conversation.

-Did you take my seat?
-It is not your seat now.
-Please get up.
-Please go find another seat.
-OK, I have some stuff I need to go do anyway.

This type of translation should only be attempted after having a strong understanding of the rudimentary translations from Ebonics to English. I hope to take an advanced college course in Ebonics to teach me to more accurately translate. I see some great business opportunities in the ghetto for a properly prepared individual. The consumer in the Ebonic areas needs someone to sell hats with tags still attached, sweat pants with half a leg missing, walkmen with extra bass, and much more. The cultural differences provide an untapped market.
0 Replies