• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:43 pm
She's pretty good in bed, too.
But it'd be going too far to say I actually 'love' her.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 02:34 am
Do you mean she is good to **** ?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 09:31 am
So I've heard. <ahem>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 12:10 pm
Re: Gone With The Wind
Futurist wrote:
Do you love Scarlet O'Hara?
I feel she is selfish and recalcitrant.
But she can be a good business-keeper.

You're just seeing her that way because she was a woman.

If she had been a man, she would have been Governor of Georgia.

White women of means in that reason were expected to be someone self centered, and concerned with mostly womanly things.

Scarlett broke the mold in that she had many so called masculine characteristics, like ambition and drive. Unfortunately, she was, at least in the beginning, immature.

I'd suggest reading the book Futurist.
It gives a much better character study, and the story is actually quite different from the movie.

For instance, in the book, she has a child by each of the men she was married to.

I think you might enjoy it.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 03:55 pm
Is she sincere in her love to Rhett?
Will they get together?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 04:08 pm
Trevia on Gone with the Wind. There's a Margaret Mitchell House museum in Atlanta that's worth a visit for Gone with the Wind fans. There are movie memorabilia from the making of the movie, plus how she gave medical school scholarships to 50 black American students, and other interesting stuff.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:07 pm
Vivien Mary Leigh
Original name: Vivien Hartley
Birth: Nov. 5, 1913
Darjeeling
Death: Jul. 7, 1967
London

Actress. Her father was a British stockbroker named Earnest and her mother was an Irishwoman named Gertrude. Vivien's first appearances were in her convent school theatricals. After finishing her primary education she decided to pursue acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art when she was 18. She married London barrister Herbert Leigh Holman on December 20, 1932 and gave birth to a daughter, Suzanne on October 12, 1933. For the next few years her career consisted of stage work and small film roles. In 1937 her marriage with Leigh Holman dissolved and she took up residence with Laurence Olivier. It was in that same year she starred in "Dark Journey" with Conrad Veidt and "Fire Over England" with future husband Olivier. It was the latter film that brought her to the attention of David O. Selznick who in 1938 was searching for the leading lady in "Gone With the Wind" (1939). She auditioned for the role and was cast as Scarlett O'Hara, the role in which she garnered her first Academy award. Vivien would often be out of the public eye for months and even years at a time since she refused to be part of the Hollywood publicity machine. She instead chose to spend time with her husband Laurence Olivier whom she married in 1940. In the next few years she would make only a few films including "Waterloo Bridge" (1940), "Cesar and Cleopatra" (1945) and "Anna Karenina" (1948). In 1951 she played opposite Marlon Brando in the film "A Streetcar Named Desire" earning another Academy award for her flawless performance as Blanche DuBois. By this time her performances were few and far between as Vivien began suffering emotional and physical problems that would prevent her from taking on more work. She was suffering from severe bouts of manic-depression (now called bipolar disorder) and other health related problems due to a tubercular patch on her left lung. She was divorced from Laurence Olivier on December 2nd 1960. Despite her health she was able to turn in two more top-notch performances in the films "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone" (1961) and "Ship of Fools" (1965) which would be her last film. After that she performed in various stage performances including "La Contessa" and "Ivanov." Vivien was found deceased in her London apartment by Jack Merivale, an actor and longtime friend that become her love interest in her later years. (bio by: r77ortiz)
Cause of death: Tuberculosis
Search Amazon for Vivien Leigh

Burial:
Cremated, Ashes scattered.
Specifically: Scattered on the lake at Tickerage Mill, near Blackboys, Sussex, England

Record added: Jan 1 2001
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:10 pm
Is it Vivien's will that her body to be cremated after death?
Does she has tomb? I want to visit her tomb and put a bunch of flower in front of it.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 09:47 pm
If her ashes were scattered, there would be no tomb.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 01:33 am
She is here:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1261

I love her forever. She is alive in my heart.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 10:09 am
He parts from her at the front door. Scarlett asks: "Rhett, if you go, where shall I go? What shall I do?" Without sentimentality, he cooly responds for the last time:

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!
[The daring line with a blasphemous taboo word at the time was a line of dialogue lifted directly from Margaret Mitchell's novel ("My dear, I don't give a damn"). It was also forbidden by the infamous Hays Office code, under Section V (1). Producer Selznick was technically fined $5,000 for the infraction of the code.]

As he closes the front door behind him and exits into the foggy mist, she is stunned and crushed, realizing she really loved Rhett all along, and has now lost a second, unrealizable passion. Resolutely, she still believes she can get him back, but it is really too late. In a big closeup shot, Scarlett addresses a soliloquy to the camera:

I can't let him go. I can't. There must be some way to bring him back. Oh I can't think about this now! I'll go crazy if I do! I'll think about it tomorrow. (She closes the door.) But I must think about it. I must think about it. What is there to do? (She falls forward onto the ascending stairs.) What is there that matters?
Crestfallen, she stops and then resourcefully and determinedly finds her true direction in the final lines of the film. She was never the type to admit defeat - so she refuses to acknowledge defeat in Rhett's rejection of her. Ghost-like voices of important men from her past remind her of the source of her strength in the soil of Tara. She hears her father Gerald: "Land's the only thing that matters, it's the only thing that lasts." Ashley: "Something you love better than me, though you may not know it. Tara." And Rhett: "It's from this you get your strength, the red earth of Tara." Each speech is repeated with increasing tempo and volume. Scarlett realizes that even if she doesn't get Rhett back, she can always return to the land - to Tara, to soak up its strength.

...Tara!...Home. I'll go home, and I'll think of some way to get him back! After all, tomorrow is another day!
The camera close-up of her tear-stained face slowly dissolves into an earlier shot, a long view of Scarlett standing alone under the gnarled tree with Tara in the background - a heroic silhouette not admitting defeat.
0 Replies