realjohnboy

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:42 pm
I have my 'jammies on and we are warm and dry and finished with a supper of chili and salad and garlic bread and some wine.
Normally, I would have the radio on..jazz. But tonight I am loving the sound of silence. My ears are tired.
I am in the retail business and today was, perhaps, the busiest day of the ho, ho, holiday season. The majority of the customers were in reasonably good humor...but then there were the others.
Anyway, I have my 'jammies on and we are warm, dry and fed. So where is the d*mn story for today?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:13 pm
Spoiled we are, where are the milk and cookies...
I suppose I will have to do a little baking...

It is a pleasure to see a glimmer of an idea - horror, how could one mess up near-absurbly horribly in this season - move to fruition.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:12 am
EINSTEIN WONDERED

===

http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/1677/frenchonionsoup9ph.jpg
Two Women Eating Lunch
One is studying photos of the other while the other talks:

"So, how come you think no one ever says 'Merry Christmas' in French."
"Do'know."
"Three people today said "Feliz Navidad" to me."
"Hnnn hmm."
" I mean it's not like there is no French around here. This French Onion soup, and there's French fries."
"Yeah um , this one's nice."
"And French -what is it -mustard and French dressing for salad. French kissing and what do they say when they say curses?"
"Pardon my French."
"Why is that?"
"They really don't say that as much as people used to."
"But they do say it. They say it to me."
"But not Merry Christmas."
"No, they say 'Feliz Navidad'."
"Honey, look at these. You don't look French, you look Puerto Rican."

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/5605/pineandball2mu.jpg

=====
Two men meet, they know each other but haven't seen each other for awhile.
"How'sit."
"Same old. Same witchyu?"
"Yeah."
"Yeah, well, have a merry."
" Yeah, 'k', youse too.
=======
I have a Seinfeld moment.

I am listening to NPR this morning and the news is that someone has written software to discover the secret of Mona Lisa's smile. Like is it a forced smile or was she really happy when she smiled it?

One could use the software to examine all the holiday photos of the past fifty years to discover who was actually having a good time and who was thinking that they would rather be in bed.

I think two things: 1) How does someone get a job doing such things?
and 2) why does asking such a question make me think I sound like George Castanza?

====

There's a man standing alone just outside the grocery store.
He has this conversation:

"Einstein wondered what would it like to see the world while riding on a beam of light."
"You're not going to start again are you?"
"Start what?"
"You know...the Einstein thing."
"It's not a thing, it's a thought."
"Well, here's a thought. Stop it."
That's not a thought, it's not.
I'm just saying...
It's not!
Okay. Okay. Take a breath.
"We are all riding on a beam of light anyway."

He approaches the automatic door, it opens and he takes a huge bag of cans in to be counted.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 09:32 am
How bout somethin for Hannukah? Of all the foods in the holiday seasons I look forward to most of all, are Lattkes Lattkes with applesauce, or sour cream.

OY AM I THOISTY!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:17 pm
Thanks to those who noted the missing 'be' in the above Einstein piece.

Your far flung correspondent will in fact be further flung for the next ten days or so so, sadly, no Chanukah story. You write one while I'm gone.

==

Wishing all of the people of A2K, no matter what their bent in life,
a season full of joy, peace and the sweetness that is love.

Joe( Cool )Nation
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:56 pm
Right back atcha, Joe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:49 pm
It's time to dust off some seasonal threads, beginning with Joe Nation's short tales.
Eva

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 10:22 pm
Excellent idea, edgar!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:45 am
My next story comes tonight.

All are welcome to jump in with theirs.

Joe(all is calm, all is bright)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:39 pm
To See the Future Stand on the Edge of Dreaming

No meeting should last longer than one hour, that was a rule Russell had followed throughout his whole career. So it was like sitting on sandpaper to be in Mr. Eric Emerson's office for more than two and half hours, even if it was really sitting on a butter soft leather sofa while listening to the weasel weasel on and on about what had to be done. What had to be done, of course, at the holidays, is let people go. He hated the words "letting people go', it sounded like you were doing them a favor when you were about to start them down a road filled with uncertainty.

He had in his hand a list of fourteen names. He had had the list now for over two hours, all that time had been spent listening to Emerson bloviate on 1) why a letter would be better than breaking the news in person (Weaseling 101), 2) what might be seen as the future of the company once the current crisis had been dealt with, or at least, enough "fat had been trimmed from the bones" (he had said that fat phrase too many times to count) and 3) describe in detail his weekend of putting up the boats for the winter. Russell just wanted to get on with it, He wanted to go out into the office and start telling people, but Emerson wanted him to draft that letter and to have it to him by Friday morning, which was tomorrow. I know, he said, short notice, quick action, got to be done though, then it has to go to legal, and so on and so on, so have to get on this, be efficient, be sharp, get on it,
quick, quick, quick. He loved talking that way, he made it sound like that Christmas carol, what was that song anyway?

Looking out the window, he could see the day fading, getting grayer with cold, across the room Emerson was droning on about how he had not known how much water there was in gasoline. He was the worst kind of boss to have, the kind that everyone knows is an idiot except for his boss who hired him and thinks he is a wonder. Wonder, winter wonder, winter wonderland, Russell felt himself starting to drift off into some other state of being, he was thinking about rooftops. He had to stick a finger in his right ear to bring himself back. The droning from the behind the desk had stopped. He feared for just a moment that he had been asked a question, but when he looked up it was just Emerson standing there, offering him his hand to shake. He shook the hand and Emerson started off again about how no one was really secure these days, not much tidings of joy, he knew that.

Russell headed back to his office. He sat down at his desk and clicked the blinking New Mail icon on his monitor. His ex had sent him a Christmas card. Doves. Falling snow. A pair of deer under an arching banner that read “Peace on Earth.” He noted she had not added anything about goodwill towards men, especially towards him. There was a little note pad there in front of him and he wrote: There is no easy way to put this: our company has decided to ..... No, that's awful. He started again, this time on the computer screen. Emerson had said he wanted it to be professional yet personal. There's nothing more personal then firing a person, he thought, and here it was, just ten days to Christmas, Chanukah already started. He typed Dear Fill in Employee Name and then stared at the cursor waiting for it to tell him the rest.

It was no good. Nothing came to him. It was getting towards six o'clock and he thought he would go home, have dinner, write the letter, email to himself and Emerson and then go to bed. He crossed the big room filled with cubicles; computer screens all blank and dead-eyed, chairs and tables holding down the floor, a little Christmas tree on the receptionist's desk still had it's red and green LEDs shimmering in the darkness.

On the subway ride home he looked at all the people jammed together. Bundled up for the cold outside, they now had to open their coats and jackets in the heated car. What would it be like for any of them to get the letter he was about to write? No, that wasn't the way to think about this. All these people here, the guy trying to hog the whole middle pole, the woman with the huge hoops earrings and the hissing-shhishing earphones, the three fellows pressed next to each other in the doorway talking about whether there would ever be another Yankee World Series win, they were all strangers, the fourteen people on the list he had known for years. He had hired more than half of them, trained and re-trained all of them to work as part of his team. Several of them he had known for years, the new guy had only been there six weeks.” We are your neighbor’s children that you have seen before. Love and joy come to you.” Dear Blank, he thought, Despite all your hard work, the company says "Screw you very much."

The cursor on his home computer was even less informative than the one at the office. He spooned up the last of the lamb stew he had made on Sunday, drank a glass of wine, watched the first half of the ten o'clock news, set the clock for 5AM and climbed into bed.

Scientists know a lot, but they don't know why we sleep. They know we do it and they know that during sleep we dream. Hundreds of thousands of images flow through our dreaming brain, but we haven't any real sense of why it happens the way it does. We know more about the bottom of the Pacific's Mariana Trench than we do about what goes on just two inches inside our own skulls. So, here was Russell Freeman standing on the edge of dreaming, not awake and not yet asleep. He waited. Sleep would come. Sleep in heavenly peace, he sighed. But it didn’t come. Or maybe it did but it didn’t feel like sleep. Russell started to see things, to think thoughts. Faces swam by, he saw hallways, a doorway, he guessed that next he would hear chains rattling, but instead he thought he heard the ding of an elevator stopping in his bedroom. His mind couldn’t figure out if he was awake or dreaming or someplace in between. Voices spoke " and now what for you? one asked over and over. Quick, quick, quick. He stayed like that for an hour, maybe two hours, the thoughts of the coming day banging in his head and then quieting, then banging in his head again. There is no rest on the edge of sleep. He turned on his side, he turned on his belly, and he turned on his other side, that’s when he saw someone coming towards him. A man, dressed in a blue suit and tie, holding in his hands two stacks of envelopes. On one stack was written: From Russell, Open Now, he couldn’t see what was written on the other stack.

Freeman raised his head and looked around in the dark surprised not to see the blue suit heading out the door. He looked for the envelopes. He turned his pillow over; it was as cold as a snow bank. I know what’s written, Russell said to himself and he fell deeply into sleep.

The weasel's letter was done before the espresso had to be steamed.
"Dear Employee:
Despite every effort, yours included, to maintain the financial stability of our company; we have regretfully come to the decision to cutback on this office's personnel. .... ."

The second letters had taken a little longer. Each of the fourteen was slightly different, he included individual memories of each person’s triumphs and growth, he wished them the very best of everything and assured each one that they could depend on him recommending them for any job in the future. He printed them out as he took his shower. He took each one and put it in an envelope and wrote on it, From Russell, Open Now.

Emerson loved his letter. He clapped Russell on the back as they left his office together. Now it was Legal’s turn to have a look at it. It didn’t look like he had exposed the company to any ramifications, he said, that would be messy, so it should all be ready by this afternoon. Russell nodded and headed back down the hall to his office. His stack of letters was in his desk drawer. He went straight to his work, he had to think about what it would be like to work with the smaller staff; who would have to take over what sections, how to partner and re-partner the teams. It was bitter work, tasting ashy and without satisfaction, except for the one extra deletion he made. He saved the file and attached it to an email for Emerson. He didn’t hit send. He ordered in lunch as he normally did and he waited for word.

Emerson came in his office right about one thirty PM, looking just a little pale and, Russell thought, a little excited. He placed a folder onto Russell’s desk and said “Here they are. You can pass them out whenever.” Then he left. It was just after three when Russell started making the rounds, early enough, he thought, for people to gather their thoughts and the majority of their things, late enough not to have lost the entire day’s work effort. He went quickly from desk to desk, handing the envelopes to the people who were there, leaving the others for the recipient to find when they returned. No one said anything.

He returned to his office and sat down. There, in the middle of his desk, was an envelope addressed to him from Mr. Eric Emerson, Senior Vice President:
Dear Russell:
Despite every effort, yours included….. .
There was an addendum at the bottom requesting that Russell stay long enough to figure out the new staffing arrangements. Now he hit Send. Emerson would get his new team chart without Russell’s name on it only three seconds after Russell got his letter. That ought to be quick, quick quick enough.

Russell looked out his window. Flakes were falling in that dreamy slow motion way you see in the movies and email cards. There were no noises coming up from the street, all was calm and bright. He shut his computer off, turned off his office lights and headed out into the big room to say his good lucks and goodbyes and give a few hugs, a few tidings of comfort and joy.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:19 pm
I have one in the works. If it turns out good enough to share, I will post it here.
Eva

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 09:26 pm
Good work, Joe. The story left me feeling like the people on that subway, bundled up against the cold.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Can't wait, edgar.

Can I be my own critic? I like the story, it just came to me over a couple of days (and one conversation with a friend) but it seems flat some how. (Have I become so used to bang-bang Law and Order stories that everything has to have someone pushed out a window?)

Joe(i hope not)Nation
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 05:29 am
@Joe Nation,
Can I offer a friendly criticism? I like the story. But it is rife with the word "had." It would greatly alter the telling to exorcise it as much as possible, in my humble opinion. We had a big to do about "had" on the writers site I belonged to.
jespah

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Don't go."

Dammit, don't. Don't leave.

"Huh?"

"I said, 'I'm cold.'"

"No, uh, oh, yeah, sorry. Here." An arm draped around a waist. "Any better?"

"A little. I, gaah, I hate the cold."

"You live in New England, genius. It's Winter and it gets cold."

"So, what? Suffer? Is that what you're telling me?"

Arm removed from waist.

"No. I, um, forget it."

Pause.

"Look, uh, I'm under stress. Shouldn't have been so sarcastic and called you 'genius'."

"So you think I'm dumb?"

"No no no. Just high maintenance sometimes."

"Oh. Um."

That might be okay.

Shivers.

Arm back around waist.

"Thank you, that feels better. Do you have to, do you have to leave?"

"Yes. You know I do."

"You always leave."

"Well, I have to."

"I know." Sigh. "It's just. You know. I wish it wasn't like that."

"Well, it's like that. No matter how nice this is."

Arm tightens around waist. Hand touches up and then down.

"That feels good."

"It'll have to hold us. Now I really gotta go. Look at the time."

"Yeah. Time. Will really bad things happen if you're late?"

"You know they will. I can't be late."

Arm removed from waist. Figure gets up; puts on clothes.

"Your body looks better than it did when we first, you know."

"Yeah, I'm in better shape. All that pushing. I'm a little deafer, though."

"Heh, yeah. All that screaming."

"Not just your screaming."

"Oh?" Bristly hairs stand up on back of neck.

"I mean arguments. Not the other thing."

"Oh, screaming for anger. Not for fun."

"Right."

"Got it. I'm such a genius."

"See you soon. I'll call, leave the same message."

"When?"

"You know I can't say. Circumstances."

"Right. Drive safely."

"Thanks." Smile. "Do you, do you worry about me?"

"Yes, of course I do. Does she?"

"Not so much. Not any more. Maybe she's got something else, someone else, to worry about. I dunno. Thanks, uh, for worrying about me."

Kiss.

Door closes.

Don't go.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 04:44 am
@edgarblythe,
I had no idea. Very interested,edgar, in seeing how that would change things. I don't do much work, meaning talking to others about the nuts and bolts of writing. Thank you.

Joe(I shall have had haddock that had been overdone)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 05:18 am
@jespah,
Jes: Is the the title of your piece "Cold Comfort"?

Joe(jes' asking)Nation
jespah

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 10:07 am
@Joe Nation,
I dunno. I riffed on the phrase "Don't Go" and it just sort of popped out. Definitely not a very comforting group of people.

I like the title -- so go ahead and dub away.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 11:08 am
@edgarblythe,
Thank you edgarblythe.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 06:08 am
if i say here that tonight I will post the story of Sweet Tea Moonkiller and the Coyote Calls will that make me finish it today?

Joe(jes askin')Nation