panic 2000

Letty

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 10:07 am
I once suggested that ehBeth view this film because it seemed so in keeping with the Maryland snipers.

I very seldom watch movies on TV, but this one I was caught up in, especially with the performance of William Macy:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0194218
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,397 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 04:46 pm
Bromell's aesthetic mannerisms bugged me a little in this film but all-and-all a very potent and compelling film. William Macy is as good as he always is -- an involving a performance comparable to his character in "Fargo."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 06:33 pm
Mr. Wizard. Don't dissect this movie. It needs to be looked at in the pure light of what could be...what has been, and what will be.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 06:52 pm
I haven't forgotten your recommendation, Miss Letty. This is on the list for next weekend!

Do you remember the second movie? Was it 'Angel Eyes'?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:39 pm
I doubt I could dissect a movie in a few lines -- if I gave the impression I didn't get the message, that's not true. It is a prophecy and a ghost of our past as a nation. Put all the significant civil disorder together beginning early in our history and you don't come up with a very pretty picture. The labor riots in Chicago in the 1800's come to mind and they were horiffic (when the reputation of the city was "the dirtiest city in the world.") If you want to read a novel truer to what happened in the draft riots in NYC which Martin Scorcese portrayed in "Gangs of New York," pick up the book "Paradise Alley"by Kevin Baker (the NY Times critic, Geoffrey Ward, calls it a triumph).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:52 am
Mr. Wizard, excuse my poor choice of words. I really meant that I just wanted the overall evaluation of the acting, story line, etc. And thanks for the recommendation. I'll check out Paradise Alley.

Rae, yes ma'am. The other movie was "Angel Eyes". Just looked at a review of it by a male critic who referred to it as a chic flic. Laughing I liked it anyway.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:01 am
Angel Eyes I might remember that.
I did see the Ring this weekend.... yikes Wink http://us.imdb.com/Title?0298130
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:12 am
Hey, husker. Thanks for the link. I've heard about The Ring. Nothing like a good, scary movie to take one's mind off the war. Razz
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 03:31 pm
Chic flick? Rolling Eyes I'll watch it anyway!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:41 am
No biggy, Letty -- you know how analytical I can be! It's my pre-occupation with science and I fight it all the time when enjoying classical music, films, paintings and all the arts in general. The visceral effect of a film can be the most compelling element. Aaron Copland's book about listening to classical music has been the most help! I don't watch a film anymore with any pre-notion of analyzing it but I will go back much later, perhaps read some critical writings about the film and when I see the film again I end up finding things I didn't find in the first place! Films like "Woman in the Dunes" have ended up in my DVD collection because I am constantly trying to understand things in it that are abstract. I showed that film a few months ago to a film group and we're still talking about it.
I think I'll add this film to the list of films to be seen by a group. I used to pick films years ago for film parties that were more entertainment -- one time we showed "Camelot" and then "Woodstock" as a double bill in a projected wide screen filling a living room wall sized screen and served lots of cocktails. I think I checked out about the middle of "Woodstock."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 10:59 am
Many moons ago, Mr. Wizard. Someone on Abuzz told me that there is a grammar to art. That caught my imagination, but I'm still not exactly certain what he meant. I guess I'm just a gestaltist about everything in the world of entertainment, and the arts.

I do know two movies that left me totally cold. One was Dune, the other was Out of Africa. Shocked
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:01 am
Letty:
Dune was only fascinating to me because I saw it under the influence. Repeated fewings have led me to agree with you... Very Happy

I did get into Out of Africa. Even the hair-washing scene didn't appeal to you?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:12 am
macs, I think Herbert (was that the author's name?) was under the influence when he wrote the book. (never read it) Laughing

Hmmmmm....hair washing scene? Don't even remember it. Sure you're not thinking of South Pacific? Very Happy I just know that my wee little grandson, upon seeing the intermission notification, looked at me with horror on his sweet face and said, "You mean it's not over?" Shocked
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:17 am
My little sister had the same response at the intermission for Gone With the Wind which we saw in the 60s at a drive-in. Laughing

There's a brief scene (with little or no dialogue) in Out of Africa where Redford washes Streep's hair. It's quite romantic.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:28 am
Macs, Strange that I don't remember that scene. I think it was because I realized that we shouldn't have taken that little kid to see the movie in the first place. Thought is was about African wildlife. Laughing

Rae, "Angel Eyes" had a hint of the supernatural in it, and that's why I enjoyed it. What a nice surprise the ending turned out to be.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 11:46 am
Actually, though Frank Herbert's themes dwelled a lot on drug use ("Santaroga Barrier" depicted an entire town dependent on a drug that was in their beer and food!), I don't believe he was a drug user other than in his youth. The books are better than the films although "Children of Dune" on the Sci-Fi channel was the best of the efforts. The production design of David Lynch's version of "Dune" was artistically beautiful but the storyline was muddled and rang a little false. He was, I believe, trying for Kubrick's symbolism in "2001" and it just doesn't make it. You had to have read the book to appreciate it at all.

I found "Out of Africa" pleasant to watch the first time but trying to watch it again in subsequent years, it becomes tedious about half way through. I like to skip to the flying scene only because I love the music (some of the best "flying" music except for "The Blue Max" and Norman Dello Joio's score for TV's "Air Power.")

macsm -- yea, I saw "2001" at the Hollywood Cinedome under the influence but it holds up to sober viewings!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 12:20 pm
Indeed, LW, I agree that 2001 holds up no matter one's condition. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:08 am
mac - One does have to appreciate it on a large screen -- I am awaiting the IMAX version with baited breath (not what you think -- Merlot is about the extent of my poison these days)...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 01:11 am
Ooos, Letty -- we're off subject and I'd like to see this film again to see how it's put together (sorry, I just have to appreciate things by their parts!)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2003 11:07 am
No, prob, Mr.Wizard. Are there some posts missing from this thread?
0 Replies