is it ok to call anyone ahole on the web?

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:39 am
if I just randomly name someone, and call him/her an ahole on a web site. such as "so and so is an ahole." without any other extra information.

is it ok? it is not a nice thing to say, but i wonder if it is my freedom of speech to do that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,695 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:52 am
It is an unfortunate side effect of the benefit of free speech that people tend to think that, because things may be said, it does not matter if they are.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:59 am
Hear, hear.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:59 am
Freedom of speech has nothing to do with something a person writes on the web. It has to do with Congress and the government, and is part of the first Amendment to the Constitution..

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

If you wrote that someone is an a**hole on A2K, which is a privately owned site, you would be against the Terms of Service to which you agreed, when you joined the site. Each web forum has different rules.

I would suspect though, if you wrote an ad hominem statement on A2K, that there would be repercussions.

P.S. If I have to explain to people the meaning of "freedom of speech" one more time, I think that I am going to scream! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:13 am
Stating "DrewDad is an ahole" is slander.

Stating that one believes DrewDad to be an ahole is perfectly acceptable.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:15 am
One believes that Drewdad is an awfully funny chap, really.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:15 am
<Waiting for Gus's "I believe DrewDad is an ahole" thread.>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:16 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
One believes that Drewdad is an awfully funny chap, really.

Why thank you, Lord. Means quite a bit coming from you. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:17 am
One didn't actually state it as a fact, however.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:18 am
guess you are not lawyers, someone else wrote in my other topic:" Generally, stating someone is an a$$hole is not defamatory. It is a statement of opinion, not of fact. Only false statements of fact are capable of constituting defamation. "

and in tv shows, movies, people say that word all the time, i have never heard anyone got sued for that.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:18 am
LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:22 am
youngman wrote:
and in tv shows, movies, people say that word all the time, i have never heard anyone got sued for that.

And that fact is proof positive of the dumbing down of our culture. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:22 am
youngman wrote:
guess you are not lawyers, someone else wrote in my other topic:" Generally, stating someone is an a$$hole is not defamatory. It is a statement of opinion, not of fact. Only false statements of fact are capable of constituting defamation. "

No, generally speaking, I am not a lawyer, but this doesn't stop me stating my opinion re. right and wrong.

However, if you are ever taken to trial over such a matter, then you will probably find that the jury is usually chosen to decide who has the better lawyer. Generally, the SPIRIT of the law has very little to do with the verdict, unfortunately.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:32 am
<gus walks over and knocks the Lord off his soapbox.>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:32 am
youngman wrote:

I'd take that advice to the bank, man!

(And why are you wasting our time, if you have a definitive answer on another thread?) You are such an... er... That is to say, I believe you are such an... er... annoying little person. Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 09:33 am
<Mutters something about Gus.>
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:47 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
One didn't actually state it as a fact, however.

You two are hilarious. Actually made coke come OUT of my nose (the coca cola variety, not the other).

I love you both (fact)
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:53 pm
you people are not serious here.

man, i just had another talk with the canadian counselor at my school. he forced me to take down any ahole comment on the web site. not even that word. don't you think that he is overdoing it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:53 pm
Younman - Any kin to Henny?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:59 pm
I suspect this is the website where you have used the name of the school for the website name. In which case, you're probably stepping into things emanating from the word which may not be spoken.
0 Replies