How to do a simple screen capture

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:33 pm
On another thread, a member suggested a topic on how to do a screen capture. That seemed to make sense to me, so here is my attempt at a topic on how to do a simple screen capture Mr. Green

With Windows machines or Macs, capturing what appears on your monitor is a fairly simple deal.

On Windows machines, hold down <Ctrl> and simultaneously press "Print Screen", which will capture the monitor's display to your clipboard. Then open Paint or any other graphics editor, and paste the clipboard contents into the graphics editor - you can do so via right-click-and-select-"Paste", or by holding down <Ctrl> while simultaneously pressing "V", or through the "Paste" option from the graphics editor's toolbar.

As opposed to capturing the entire screen, you also can capture just the active window (the one your mouse pointer is in) by holding down <ALT> and simultaneously pressing Print Screen. Proceed from there as outlined above.

On Macs, its pretty similar. The keys are Shift - Apple - 3 or Shift - Apple - 4, depending on your Mac OS. In OSX, Shift - Apple - 4 will turn your pointer into a sorta bullseye deal - click and select the screen area you wish to capture, and when you release the click, the designated area is saved to your hard drive as a PDF file named "Picture 1" or whatever number it happens to be in that session. If you hold down the Control key while clicking the bullseye, the image is captured to your clipboard, and can be pasted into any graphics editor.

OSX users also have the Grab utility, available in Applications/Utility. Open Grab, select Capture>Timed Screen. From the dialog that opens, click "Start Timer", then click the menu item describing what you wish to capture, holding the click until the dialog closes and the image appears; save it wherever is convenient.

Greater control and more flexibility is available through 3rd-party screen capture utilities. There are lots of 'em, some free, some for-fee. Capture, from AnalogX, is a free capture utility for Windows (All), and Irfanview is a free Windows (All) graphics editor-media player Swiss-Army-Knife sorta app which offers a somewhat flexible screen capture feature - I use it a lot. It may not be ultra sophisticated, but it is reliable and efficient.

Now ... after all that, I figure you're either thoroughly confused or pretty nearly up to speed on screen captures. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,292 • Replies: 12
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:39 pm
Cool.

I've always wondered how to do that.

Thanks timber.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:48 pm
Thanks!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:54 pm
Well, I guess since everyone else is thanking Timber, I won't have to. We certainly wouldn't want this to go to his head.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:57 pm
I was real worried about that, Gus - glad you came through. I was hoping I could count on you - thanks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:09 pm
I got as far as the bullseye and selecting and clicking -- very cool! Now I don't know how to FIND the darn thing, though...?

A-ha! Did a search for "picture", and there was "picture 1" all right. It was on my desktop. And, now that I closed windows, I see it there. (An icon on my desktop labeled "picture 1.")

Coolness!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:18 pm
Sorry for the confusion, soz - my bad. I screwed up when I typed "on your hard drive" --- no excuse, I just screwed up and spaced out - shoulda typed "desktop". Embarrassed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 05:49 am
How 'bout that? It works. Thanks, Timber! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:46 am
No problem, timber, I found it with just a couple of extra clicks (and would have found it earlier if I'd closed all windows).

Useful trick, will be using it a lot I bet. Flash has been giving me a lot of problems.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:49 am
>shaking head<

shammmmeee Timber..
how dare YOU have a type-o...

shame shame shame...

Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:33 am
shewolfnm wrote:
>shaking head<

shammmmeee Timber..
how dare YOU have a type-o...

shame shame shame...

Laughing

Oh, I wouldn'ta made much fuss over a typo - we all know my record there. Unfortunately for excuse-providing, that was no typo, that was a knew-and-meant-to-type one thing, and boneheadedly typing another - without bothering to use Preview to proofread and edit the copy before clicking "Submit".. . but then, I'm good at skipping that step too. We all have our talents Laughing
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:34 pm
Sorry, but what exactly is "screen capture"? What is being achieved here?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
Tomkitten wrote:
Sorry, but what exactly is "screen capture"? What is being achieved here?

You are copying exactly what is on your screen, and you can save the image in your hard drive.

Fer instance, I once had to reformat my hard drive, something that I would not wish on anybody. I wanted a record of the icons that I had on my screen. So I captured the image to a file, and printed it.
0 Replies