Safari or Fire Fox?

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 05:46 am
Hi,

I have Safari on my mac, and a friend told me to download Mazilla Fire Fox. I don't have any technical knowledge of these two programs. Which is the best? Should I stay with Safari or download Fire Fox?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,678 • Replies: 29
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:02 am
FF works OK on OS9-OS10 Macs. I s'pose whether you "Should" use it all depends on how trendy you wanna be. If you really wanna be out there on the cutting edge, impressing all your freinds, try Camino.

Nothing at all wrong with FF, or with Safari. I'm not a real big "Alternate Browser" fan; all have their good points and their bad points. Try out the options,get familiar with their features and foibles, and settle on whichever suits you best as your default browser, keep the other(s) around for convenience or play value. None are "Best", IMO, only "Different - sorta"
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:07 am
Both Camino and FF have tabbed browsing. Camino is very nice on the Mac. FF can have memory leak issues. IMO both are better than Safari, but I haven't used Safari in a very very long time.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:07 am
I can keep the others too, how? Won't the others stop functioning when one switches to another?

I will check out camino.

Thanks Tim.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:08 am
No, you can have as many as you want but I wouldn't suggest running both at the same time.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:09 am
Thanks FreeDuck
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:46 am
I have Safari and like it very much, but more and more I'm running into situations (online searches/ shopping) that are incompatible with Safari and want me to download Firefox. I may break down and do it soon, I have Internet Explorer too and just don't want too much stuff so have been resisting.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:48 am
IE on Mac kind of sucks. I agree with Timber -- download a couple, try them out, and see which one you like best. I usually end up with FireFox on both Mac and Windows, but I'm not terribly loyal. Camino is similar to FF.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:50 am
I never use IE, but good to have it for occasions when it's required. (Still comes up now and then.)

Anything wrong with having Safari, Firefox, and IE all set up and then using Safari as baseline but going to Firefox or IE as necessary?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:05 am
Nope. I have them all and there's no problem.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:05 am
'K, I'll probably do that then.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:13 am
I just installed firefox 1.5 this morning, I plan on using it for awhile just to check it out.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:23 am
How many can you have downloaded, four? Of course only using one at a time.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:24 am
I don't think there's any limit, saving that of the size of your hard drive.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:30 am
Thanks
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:03 pm
As FreeDuck says, you can have as many browsers as you please - however, generally one will be your default browser, the others available on-demand, launched as you want them. Another note, apart from system resource issues, there should be no real problem having more than one browser-type open, provided your machine has a relatively fast processor and plenty of RAM; I sometimes have IE, FF, and Opera or some other browser running simultaneously, doing different things in the various browsers. I do this (if you gotta ask, mostly just 'cause I can Mr. Green ) on a variety of PIII, Centrino, P4, Athlon, and Mac machines, with RAM varying from 384MB to 2GB, noticing some, but not much, performance difference among them in normal browsing. Of course, user confusion is a real possibilty - Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
Shocked Confused Shocked
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:09 pm
Yeah, I just upgraded from 256 and there were definitely memory issues with FF and Safari open at the same time. Though Safari is (was?) a memory hog and that might have something to do with it.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:08 am
timberlandko wrote:
FF works OK on OS9-OS10 Macs. I s'pose whether you "Should" use it all depends on how trendy you wanna be. If you really wanna be out there on the cutting edge, impressing all your freinds, try Camino.

Nothing at all wrong with FF, or with Safari. I'm not a real big "Alternate Browser" fan; all have their good points and their bad points. Try out the options,get familiar with their features and foibles, and settle on whichever suits you best as your default browser, keep the other(s) around for convenience or play value. None are "Best", IMO, only "Different - sorta"

Wow, FF is kewl Exclamation It has a wide screen just what I need for my wide screen mac Very Happy I'm going to get acquainted with the FF, and then I'm going to download Camino, and check that out. :wink: But, the FF has no spell check, I can't find it. Sad
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:58 am
You want spellchecker? Help yourself - FireFox Extensions - all that and more.
0 Replies