Semi Transparent Background Creation

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 04:22 pm
I am trying to create a site that uses a photograph of lake tahoe as the main background image. Above this image I would like to place some tables that would hold the actual text and graphics for the site. I would like to be able to create a semi transparent background image in these tables that would allow easy reading of the text yet still be able to make out the picture of the lake below.

I have tried creating transparent images in photoshop CS by both the export wizard and the save for web function to no success.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,219 • Replies: 3
No top replies

lil cat luver

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 09:39 pm
You could try adding this to your CSS:

filter:alpha(opacity:50)
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 11:51 am
or make sure your transparent images are gifs or pngs. Both of those file formats allow for transparency.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 04:08 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
or make sure your transparent images are gifs or pngs. Both of those file formats allow for transparency.

What he will need is variable transparency (also called alpha transparency), which png (not gif) supports but IE doesn't.

IE is your problem. You can't have variable transparency in IE and this severely limits graphic design.

Variable transparency support is coming in IE and present in all other browsers. But if you want it now you need to use some "hacks" and workarounds.

For a great write-up on alpha transparency along with some js workarounds see here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/
0 Replies