Vote topples Canadian government

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 09:41 am
Vote topples Canadian government
Election set for January 23

Tuesday, November 29, 2005; Posted: 10:32 a.m. EST (15:32 GMT)

(CNN) -- After months of political instability, the government of Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin fell Monday evening when three opposition parties united to topple him with a no-confidence vote in the House of Commons.

Martin's center-left Liberal Party had been dogged by a corruption scandal. It will now face voters in an election set for January 23 that could end 12 years of Liberal rule in America's largest trading partner. The election forces a campaign over the Christmas holidays that the prime minister argues most Canadians don't want.

After losing the vote, a smiling and upbeat Martin rallied his Liberal caucus before they return to their home constituencies to "get fitted for snowshoes."

"The decision about the future of our government will be made by Canadians. They will judge us, and they will judge our performance," said Martin. He said his party would run on its record of "hard work and good management."

Addressing his troops, Conservative leader Stephen Harper called Monday "an historic evening."

"This is not just just the end of a tired, directionless, scandal-plagued government. It's the start of a bright new future for this great country," Harper said.

The opposition Conservatives, the leftist New Democrats and the separatist Bloc Quebecois joined forces to bring down Martin's government, which had lost its majority in an election last year. Monday's final vote was 171-133.

The Conservatives and Bloc Quebecois had been threatening for months to bring down Martin and force an election. But until Monday, his government had survived with the support of the New Democrats and a handful of independents.

After the vote, New Democratic leader Jack Layton accused the Liberals of "stubbornness" and "inflexibility," saying Martin's government had said no to "good ideas on key issues" that his party had put forward.

The Liberals have run Canada since 1993. Recent polls give them the edge over Harper's Conservatives, but with fewer than 40 percent support among those polled, indicating that another minority government is likely.

Polls also show that in vote-rich Quebec, the Bloc Quebecois is well ahead of the other parties, making the task of assembling a majority even more difficult.

The leader of the Bloc, Gilles Duceppe, predicted voters in mostly French-speaking Quebec would issue "a judgment, and a very harsh one" on the Liberals in the wake of a corruption scandal that has particularly angered people in the province.

The Liberals took big losses in the House of Commons in June 2004 amid what was known as the sponsorship scandal, in which government money was paid to advertising firms to shore up support for Canadian unity in French-speaking Quebec.

Investigators determined most of the money went to firms with Liberal connections, with little or no work done in exchange, but placed most of the blame on former Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

Martin was cleared of wrongdoing and issued a dramatic apology on behalf of his government in April. The Liberals agreed to pay $1.1 million back to the government after an initial report was issued November 1.

But Harper's Tories have readied a good-government platform for the upcoming vote, with Harper vowing to curtail the influence of high-priced lobbyists in Ottawa if he becomes prime minister.

Martin had proposed elections in March, after the expected release of a second report on the sponsorship scandal. He blasted the opposition earlier this month for moving toward a quick election, because the campaign would take place over the holidays -- "when Canadians least want one."

Martin, who became prime minister in December 2003 after Chretien retired, became the fifth Canadian leader to lose a confidence vote. The last was Conservative Joe Clark, in 1979. He was replaced by Liberal Pierre Trudeau.

The Liberals' political difficulties mark a sharp turnaround in Canadian politics. Just five years ago, with the political right divided between two rival parties, the Liberals coasted to a clear majority for their third consecutive election win.

But the right has since unified into the new Conservative Party, which, coupled with the sponsorship scandal, helped cost the Liberals their majority in last year's election.

The Liberals hold 133 of the 308 seats in the House of Commons, compared with 98 for the Conservatives, 53 for the Bloc Quebecois and 18 for the New Democrats. There are also four independents and two vacancies.

Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,028 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:58 am
This is news to you?

I've had a thread about this for weeks . . . don't get too excited too soon--people may be sick of the liberals, but many of them are sick of Harper and the Tories, and they're not even in power. The BQ won't play nice to form a coalition with anyone, and nobody wants to be in a coalition with them, anyway. The only ones who stand to gain from this are the New Democrats, and the NDP is only ever a power if there is a coalition government.

But you party on, McG, just tell yourself its more evidence of the superiority of consevatives (insert appropriate rolly-eyed emoticon here) . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:18 pm
The liberal party has IMNSHO a surprising lead in the popularity polls in Ontario.

Since I called all of the major parties constituency offices in the summer, telling them I wouldn't support whoever forced an early election, I've got to find out what my other voting options are going to be this time round.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 12:34 pm
I heard on the CBC that the Aardvark Party is fiedling candidates again . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:12 am
Harper last night stated that if the Tories form a government (unlikely, but not impossible), and the voters express an interest (?--he didn't elaborate on what he would consider evidence of this), that they'd pass a "traditional marriage" bill. He states that this would not effect current same-sex marriages, and then said that he intended to be honest about their agenda.

Kind of hard to believe that any politician is simply being honest about the agenda when a campaign is in full swing. I suspect he may actually believe this will help the Tories. It may help them in rural and small town ridings--maybe. It might just as likely hurt them in urban ridings, although that's not a certainty, either. Curious incident, all around . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:56 am
I read that in the paper this morning.

The Conservative Party isn't a factor in the riding I'm in - so I've got to figger out what to do about my annoyance about his comments. I'm gonna let somebody know that it will impact how I vote.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:57 am
ehBeth wrote:
The liberal party has IMNSHO a surprising lead in the popularity polls in Ontario.

Since I called all of the major parties constituency offices in the summer, telling them I wouldn't support whoever forced an early election, I've got to find out what my other voting options are going to be this time round.

Polls, last night, showed the Liberals within a couple points of the Conservatives. IMNSHO, the Conservatives would probably show higher numbers if Harper was not in the leadership seat. The Conservatives lost some favour when then joined with the Alliance and then adopted the Alliance leader as their own.

The Liberals appear to be as crooked as Cretien's mouth and Martin claims he knew nothing of money scandals while he was Minister of Finance.

Who do we trust? This whole election thing is just another waste of taxpayers money since it is most likely that we will be exactly where we were on Monday come January 23rd. We have seen the enemy and the enemy is us.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:00 pm
I would definitely have looked more favourably at the Conservatives if Peter McKay was the leader - but they'd still get nowhere in my riding. Wasted vote there.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:05 pm
My thoughts are the same on the Peter McKay thing. Beth Phinney, Liberal, in my riding has been there forever but is stepping down. That may change things here.... who knows. I have always known where my vote was going and it was not always to the same party. This time around, I have no friggin idea.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
http://www.nodice.ca/elections/canada/polls.php

<you can click on the regional links - and see some wild differences>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:13 pm
today at nodice

Quote:

DATE LIB CON NDP BQ GRN
12/03 38 29 15 14 5

12/03 34.1 27.4 18.4 14 6

12/03 33 31 17 14 5

<link in above post>

So, there's a 2 or 7 or 9 point spread between the Liberals and Conservatives. Depends on who's asking and who they're asking.

I'm looking forward to ...

Quote:
Leaders' Debates

Four leaders' debates will be held for the 2006 federal election. Each debate will last two hours. Dec. 15 (Fren.), Dec. 16 (Eng.) Jan. 9 (Eng.), Jan. 10 (Fren.)

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:13 pm
I can't believe I agree with Basil about anything, but ...

Quote:
TORONTO -- A Liberal minority government with the balance of power held by the New Democratic party would be the best outcome in the federal election, Canadian Auto Workers president Buzz Hargrove said yesterday.

"We have to do everything we can, of course, to try to elect as many New Democrats as we can," Hargrove said at the 250,000-member union's national council meeting.

But the membership must "do everything in our power to ensure that Stephen Harper forms neither a minority Conservative government or, worse still, a majority Conservative government," he said.

The Liberal minority of the past year and a half produced the best government since the 1972-74 period when the NDP under David Lewis held sway over the Trudeau Liberals, Hargrove told about 900 delegates.

link
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 03:16 pm
The odds seem pretty good that nothing much will change except for the degree of the balance of power. It is only in Quebec that the Liberals are really in trouble, and the BQ will benefit from that. As currently constituted, it is doubtful that anyone will want to form a coalition with the BQ. Therefore, the likely outcome will be a return to the status quo ante, a Liberal minority government propped up by NDP votes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
http://www.nodice.ca/elections/canada/polls.php

http://www.nodice.ca/elections/canada/polls.gif

I think that image will update regularly.

~~~~~~~~~

DATE LIB CON NDP BQ GRN

12/09 36 28 16 14 6

12/09 39 30 15 11 4

12/08 36 30 15 14 5

12/08 41 26 18 11 4

12/07 39 27 16 12 5

~~~~~~~~~~~

the last election

06/28/04 36.7 29.6 15.7 12.4 4.3

~~~~~~~~

that looks weirdly similar

Confused
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:18 am
bm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 11:16 am
<pssssssst nimh - how do you get graphs to post properly - so the spacing remains intact>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 11:56 am
a big shift since before Christmas

Date CON LIB NDP BQ GRN
01/15 38.6 27.2 18.6 10.6 4.4

01/15 37 29 18 11 5

01/14 40 27 16 11 6

01/14 38 30 17 10 6

01/13 38 28 16 11 6

01/13 38 29 16 11 7
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
Quote:
Canada's Conservatives maintain lead - polls
Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:39 AM ET
Printer Friendly | Email Article | Reprints | RSS

TORONTO, Jan 17 (Reuters) - Canada's opposition Conservatives maintained their wide lead in the election race, a new poll showed on Tuesday, though a separate, smaller survey showed a narrower gap between the two leading parties.

The mixed numbers come as Canadians warm up to the idea of Conservative leader Stephen Harper heading a majority government.

The Strategic Counsel poll for The Globe and Mail newspaper and CTV News showed the Conservatives have the support of 40 percent of Canadians, compared with the ruling Liberal Party's 27 percent. The New Democratic Party (NDP) had 16 percent support.

The poll of 1,500 Canadians, conducted between Jan. 12 and Jan. 15, has a margin of error of 2.5 percentage points. The results were unchanged from a similar Strategic Counsel poll conducted between Jan. 11 and Jan. 14.

Meanwhile, a smaller survey of 694 people for The Toronto Star and La Presse dailies showed the distance between the two parties shrinking.

According to an EKOS Research Associates poll, the Conservatives have 35.8 percent support and the Liberals, 29.6 percent. The NDP had 19.4 percent.

An EKOS poll earlier in the week showed the Conservatives had 38.6 percent support, compared with the Liberals' 27.2 percent and the NDP's 18.6 percent.

reuters link

All I want is a minority.
I don't much care which way it swings otherwise.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 11:59 am
Stephen Harper scares me
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
If the Tories win, it will be interesting to see him attempt to court Layton and the NDP to form a government. Unless he's so clueless as to try to form a government with Duceppe.
0 Replies