Boyfriend / Buying Property Quandary ... need advice

dupre

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:01 am
Thanks for showing up to help me.

I want to buy a house ... with my boyfriend ... and I want to protect myself.

After my divorce in 1990 and losing my house, I decided not to ever own with anyone again.

If I buy a house and he moves in with me, I would expect him to pay rent, but that doesn't really seem fair to him.

If we buy together, what happens if he defaults on his half? I'm assuming that I would have to make both payments. I'm also assuming I wouldn't be able to just evict him. And I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to sell it without his signature.

What happens if he gets sued for all he's worth? Can they take my half of our house?

If we marry, I'm just concerned because he has prior debts and I don't want to be responsible for them.

So, how can we set this up?

Any ideas?

I came up with, I buy the land, he buys the house, and if we break up he can just move his house. But he said that neither of us would be able to declare our property a homestead.

So am I doomed to living alone?

And on second thought ... is that really such a bad idea?

But what's happening now is that, he has an apartment, but he's here every night, so I feel that, even though I understand that he has an apartment, I'm paying all the bills for both of us.

I always seem to get sort of stuck in these types of scenarios, and well, I really need some ideas.

Maybe the only way I can get a guarrantee is to make sure we both pay cash for the house. But, then, I do wonder about the upkeep and taxes. I just don't want to be taken advantage of again.

My last boyfriend--a land rich, cash poor millionaire--had me paying for all the bills. It's a long story ... and I lost; when I finally left him I had less than nothing. I'm too old to take anymore chances on men and money. Need a plan.

Don't people buy property together all the time. Like investors or something? How can I work this out.

Many thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,781 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Tenoch

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:16 am
1. don't buy a house

2. get married with a pre-nup

3. I'm not an expert, but there are ways to basically "go into business together" with somebody on a house, but it requires contracts and such, kind of like a pre-nup. A lawyer or realestate person is probably the best to ask abou this
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:40 am
Yep, you need legal advice. LOTS of legal advice.

You seem like you want to be independent and are in a position to do so. Since you don't seem to really want to marry this guy for whatever reason, I would just buy a house myself. If he lives with you, he should share at least half the expenses.

Why would you consider this "unfair to him?"
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:50 am
I agree with nikki, you should buy the house and he should pay you rent plus utilities. If you split up, you still have your house, if you decide to get married down the road you can always put his name on the deed.
Cover your own assets.
0 Replies

dupre

Hi, thanks for your responses.

Why marry? We are not going to have children. And I don't want to be financially obligated for anything he or anyone else does.

One of my boyfriends got cancer. He was sick for a year. He couldn't help pay any of the bills. All the living expenses were on me that year. When he did start getting about $700 from SSI, he gave all of that to his daughter, who--by the way--moved in with us while he was ill, brought with her a 32-year-old boyfriend and two dogs. Added significantly to the housework and expenses yet did nothing, absolutely nothing to help.

I was exhausted and broke by the time he died. And she moved out about a week before he died. Thank goodness she did go!

But ... would it be fair to ask him to pay rent, when I own? I mean, none of his rent would be deductable and he wouldn't be building any equity.

I did find a legal Web site with some thoughts on the matter:

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:DhA-foKghv0J:www.fn.com/2002/06/17/pf/yourhome/q_jointown/+%22legal%22+%22buying+property+with+someone%22&hl=en

I'm not sure I want to ever own with anyone again. I'm not even sure about renting.

I mean, really, I would never have kicked out my loving boyfriend on his death bed. Not even an option. But, against all my arguments, I couldn't protect myself from his worthless wreck of a daughter moving in and bringing with her three other living worthless beings who wreaked havoc on an already stressed household.

It was over 10 years ago.

I'm still angry about it.

Sorry for my strong bitter words. I'm really lucky to be older and wiser and in a very protected space ... for now.

How can I keep that?
0 Replies

Questioner

Re: Boyfriend / Buying Property Quandary ... need advice
dupre wrote:
Thanks for showing up to help me.

I want to buy a house ... with my boyfriend ... and I want to protect myself.

Best way to protect yourself: Don't by the house with your boyfriend. Don't do ANYTHING jointly involving money with someone that you're not prepared to share your life with.

Quote:
After my divorce in 1990 and losing my house, I decided not to ever own with anyone again.

Wise.

Quote:
If I buy a house and he moves in with me, I would expect him to pay rent, but that doesn't really seem fair to him.

Why not? If you buy the house and he moves in he should be considered a roomate. You're not married, what's his isn't yours and visa-versa. Keep it seperate, totally.

Quote:
If we buy together, what happens if he defaults on his half? I'm assuming that I would have to make both payments. I'm also assuming I wouldn't be able to just evict him. And I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to sell it without his signature.

This is entirely dependant on who signs the contract. If you're name is on it solely, it's your house and you're responsible for it. It's not the same as when you were married and you both half everything.

Quote:
What happens if he gets sued for all he's worth? Can they take my half of our house?

Again, depends upon who signs for the mortgage.

Quote:
If we marry, I'm just concerned because he has prior debts and I don't want to be responsible for them.

If prior debts worry you, then you're not ready to remarry.

Quote:
So am I doomed to living alone?

You're doomed to nothing that you don't choose. Make wise choices.

Quote:
But what's happening now is that, he has an apartment, but he's here every night, so I feel that, even though I understand that he has an apartment, I'm paying all the bills for both of us.

I always seem to get sort of stuck in these types of scenarios, and well, I really need some ideas.

Idea #1: Quit dating losers.
Idea #2: Tell him straightforward that if he is to continue spending so much time at your place that you'd appreciate some help with the bills that he's racking up for you. If he refuses, start hanging out at his place more.

Quote:
Maybe the only way I can get a guarrantee is to make sure we both pay cash for the house. But, then, I do wonder about the upkeep and taxes. I just don't want to be taken advantage of again.

You can't call it being taken advantage of when you make such a decidedly bad decision. If you break up and he winds up taking a bunch of stuff that's yours because you neglected to think the situation through then you pretty much deserve what you get.

Quote:
My last boyfriend--a land rich, cash poor millionaire--had me paying for all the bills. It's a long story ... and I lost; when I finally left him I had less than nothing. I'm too old to take anymore chances on men and money. Need a plan.

Start helping yourself. You don't 'need' anyone. You can get by just fine on your own with a bit of financial advice from someone well versed in such things. Trying to plan your financial future on something as unstable as 'boyfriends' then you're never going to be secure. Ever. If you don't wish to remarry, then do yourself the courtesy of leaving every Tom Dick and Bob that come along out of your financial world.

Quote:
Don't people buy property together all the time. Like investors or something? How can I work this out.

They sure do. They're called 'partners'. Or they're married. Don't try to force something that experience tells you won't work out. You wouldn't go into an investment office and ask to speak with the guy that's got the most personal debt, would you?

Best luck!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:58 am
Questoiner:

You know what. You are right.

I have no qualms about doing any of it on my own.

He can visit ... or not.

Thanks!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:59 am
Questioner- I started to reply to dupre, until I saw your answer. You have just about said it all, and saved me the time and effort..

dupre wrote:

If I were you, I would do NOTHING with this guy. He sounds like a loser.

What I WOULD do, if I were you, is get some professional help, and try to find out why you are attracted to these types of characters. YOU need to change, so that you can attract a guy who is reponsible, and not up to his eyeballs in debt.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:03 pm
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
I agree with all of the above advise.

Buy the house yourself and have your boyfriend pay
rent and utilities. But be careful, if he is not on the deed
but contributed to the house payments, he might have
an equitable claim for reimbursement. A legitimate
tenant agreement where the amount of rent and partial
utility payments are stated, including ramifications
if he defaults the rent payments would be a wise agreement
to have.

Should you have a falling out and/or defaults on his obligations, you then have a legal document to either force
him to pay rent or move out.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:34 pm
Dupre--

Quote:
If we marry, I'm just concerned because he has prior debts and I don't want to be responsible for them

Why would you go into business with an unreliable partner with a poor credit history just because you're sleeping with him?

Right now, his apartment is his. Your living quarters are yours and his. Your expenses are yours.

Of course you feel resentful.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:41 pm
I have a friend with a relationship that really works for her. He has his place, she has hers. During the week, they "do their own thing". On the weekends, one weekend she stays at his place, at hers the next. They have been doing this for what must be over 8 years. At one time he lived about an hour from her, but he then moved into the same community, But the relationship is the same.

I am very curious, Dupre. You say that your boyfriend does not pay rent. Since he spends a lot of time at your house, does he kick in for food, repairs, etc.?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:18 pm
What can I add?

Well, if you were sharing a rented apartment, he would be obliged for his share of the rent. How is it different, if you own the house. Good point on rental agreement from Calamity. He would be paying rent, not contributing to the house payments. Remember, most states do not permit instant evictions if things go wrong. It could get sticky if things go sour.

I do not like your boyfriend, dupre. Never have, and never will.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:21 pm
I'm trying to figure out if this is the one I don't like or not. I thought that one was gone (which I was happy about), but "last boyfriend" stuff doesn't sound like the one I thought was the last boyfriend... and I may just be thoroughly confused.

At any rate, I didn't like the last one I was aware of, and this one isn't impressing me much either from what you say here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:26 pm
To join the chorus, I remember not liking something about a boyfriend of dupre's, but not what it is, or which person..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:49 pm
At any rate, this seems to be a good response:

dupre wrote:
Questoiner:

You know what. You are right.

I have no qualms about doing any of it on my own.

He can visit ... or not.

Thanks!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:52 pm
Hrrmmm.. Lots of comments here from others that I agree with but... There is one possible way for you to get what you desire and protect yourself legally.

Form a legal corporation with your b/f and purchase the house through the corporation.

Have the lawyer draw up the business specifying how the payments on the house would be funded (i.e. you each pay half of it monthly, etc..) as well as things like taxes, utility bills, etc... and also provisions for ending the busniess relationship should things go that route.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:56 pm
One thing though, it might be a good idea to set up some ground rules before you go ahead with it. Like, if he spends more than X amount of time at the new place, he needs to contribute Y amount of money... etc.

I'm still a bit confused about the underlying motivations, which would help me advise you (though I agree there are scads of legal issues that I know nothing about). Is it that you want to buy a house and you're not sure how he would fit into it? Is it that he wants to get a new place, together?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 01:57 pm
Oh, interesting, fishin'.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 02:05 pm
Yeah, well the guy does sound like a loser but that is another question.

Here in the Bay Area, because the housing expenses are so high, people do rommate situations all the time. I just can't imagine anyone moving in with me and not sharing expenses. In fact, my rule is the gentleman pays.
0 Replies