Disinterested Knowledge

coberst

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 04:49 am
I want to talk about learning. But not the lifeless, sterile, futile, quickly forgotten stuff that is crammed in to the mind of the poor helpless individual tied into his seat by ironclad bonds of conformity! I am talking about LEARNING - the insatiable curiosity that drives the adolescent boy to absorb everything he can see or hear or read about gasoline engines in order to improve the efficiency and speed of his 'cruiser'. I am talking about the student who says, "I am discovering, drawing in from the outside, and making that which is drawn in a real part of me." I am talking about any learning in which the experience of the learner progresses along this line: "No, no, that's not what I want"; "Wait! This is closer to what I am interested in, what I need"; "Ah, here it is! Now I'm grasping and comprehending what I need and what I want to know!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 588 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 02:31 pm
Hello again coberst,

Everytime I reply to one of your threads I seem to be nitpicking but here goes anyway.

I think the term "disinterested knowledge" is an oxymoron because "information" cannot exist independently of the seeker. Perception is active not passive. This point is an epistemological one rather than say a personal criticism of anyone who would become an accumulator of "facts" for whatever social purpose, and by "social" I include internal self dialogue.

The central issues for me are "what is meant by knowledge" and "is it always related to prediction and control". You can therefore see why "disinterested knowledge" begs a few questions !
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 02:44 pm
I dunno fresco, take the assembled findings of science, for example - would not "Science" properly be termed "knowledge"?, And would not, by definition, science be dispassionate, objective, fact-dependent, and without subtext or agenda beyond its own advancement? That strikes me as fullfilling the condition of "Disinterested Knowledge".
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 03:05 pm
Fresco

Fresco

Take almost any post I have made and you will find me writing about some disinterested knowledge I have acquired including disinterested knowledge itself.

I am using knowledge in the sense that everyone normally talks about knowledge. O am not trying to make some epistemologically profound statement.

I am not trying to gather facts I am trying to understand something that interests me. I am amazed that this concept is so difficeult for people to understand. I am saying something very simple but unorthodox in our society that cannot accept anything to be important if it is not instrumental to intertainment or making money.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:02 pm
timberlandko

Thats a nice piece of idealism but it doesn't work like that. Thomas Kuhns "Structure of Scientific Revolutions" makes it clear that "science" progresses spasmodically with respect to the inertia of prevailing paradigms. Such paradigms have a social and hierarchical power base and are fuelled and funded by commercial and military interests. Even in the cocooned microcosm of the individual research worker what is it that constitutes "new knowledge" other than an extension of "prediction and control" as in the anthropocentric macrocosm?

cobert

The problem with steering clear of epistemology is that you delimit your audience. The apochryphal "lover of learning for its own sake" may be fine as a character sketch but it has little to do with philosophy. You quote Socrates about " a life examined.." but are you examining "the life" i.e. the acquisition process, or merely the acquisitions? I acknowledge that you do refer also to "self-knowledge" but thats the "big one" which cannot but trigger epistemological questions about the perception of "reality". So it may be that your posts are not so much "misunderstood" as ignored because of the level they appear to address.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 06:43 pm
He means that you should have a lean on the bar and just go with the flow.It's not bad.Something good usually comes up by the third pint and if it doesn't there's always tomorrow night.
0 Replies