FIELD DRESSING A MINCE

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:41 am
I love mincemeat and, during this dark time of year, it is the joy that stays with me.
Pennsylvanias Mince season has gotten underway and I expect that whole minces will soon be available to us the mincemeat eating public. Ive never field dressed a mince and I wonder if anybody has experience in this area. I dont want to cut into any glands that might otherwise impart any fould flavors to the delicate taste of minces.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,348 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:45 am
Have you been reading Stalking the Wild Celery?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:51 am
The mince is basically a young haggis that hasn't yet learned to fly properly.

Remove the gall bladder first, before splicing the main brace (just between the ribs).

Push both hands into the chest cavity, and pop out the wing sockets, before removing them with a knife.

If it is still a young mince, the remaining bones should be quite edible. However, if it is an adolescent, it will need to be thoroughly boned in private.

Steep in 10 year old malt whisky for two days, rub with heather and stuff with potato peelings and stale bread crumbs.

Place the thing into a large pot, and boil to buggery for three days.

Drain.

Serve with potatoes, a medium sized piece of tree bark and a wee dram of the good stuff (cheap stuff, if in laws are in attendance).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:56 am
thank you mlud. We aim to chop the mince into quite small chunks and , saving all the pot likker, we concoct our famous mincemeat savories.

Set, no Ive not been reading Mr Gibbons Books . Is he still dead?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:57 am
farmerman wrote:
Set, no Ive not been reading Mr Gibbons Books . Is he still dead?

Yes, i believe so . . . but he was always so annoyingly coy, if you'll recall, so one can't be certain . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:00 am
Does not mince wear in the field what it would wear in the city...only with stouter boots, and a tweed coat?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:00 am
You know, FM, we should organize a snipe hunt . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:03 am
I remember his recipe for plank cooking a Brazos River Carp.
There is , as I sit here in my cell on the third floor, a small "trot" of minces gambolling in the rye fields across the lane. (A group fo minces is a "trot"). They are quite beautiful little animals. I wasn aware that they were an immature haggis. I can see the resemblance though.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:07 am
The haggis family is known for its clumsy gait whilst on the ground. Adult haggis tend to spend most of their life either in the air, or perched on a convenient distillery rooftop.

The young haggis (mince) however, cannot fly and is therefore very vulnerable to predation.

Some think that it adopts an unusual style of walk, in order to confuse lurking carnivores.

Hence the term "mincing".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:08 am
snipes are not as common as they used to be around here.

rabbit, now you are just being silly. Im trying to be serious here and , readers who drop by may take your intended levity as a means to derail what is , otherwise, a damn serious topic.
I suppose, in Oz, all your minces are pre packaged and all prepared ready to bake into a pie. Not so in MAreica, minces are native to our shores as they are a PLACENTAL and, as anybody knows, Australia is gifted only with rat-like primitive animals of the monotreme or marsupial families, that which we call "road kill species".
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:20 am
Hey.

My brothers and I, and one unrelated uncle of someone, are still sitting at the table. We have resolved not to move until we divine the difference between a yam and a sweet potato. (Sometimes spelled potatoe) Several postulations have been offered but, owing to having lightly sipped on several bottles of Wild Turkey, we cannot completely recall them and request anyone's rapid assistance as the table will be needed for this afternoon's Scrabble extravaganza.

Joe(if you add vaganza to extra you get an additional fifty pts.)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:24 am
The difference is ten to twenty cents a pound . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:33 am
According to my dictionary they are the same.

• yam

n. sweet potato

Although here's the rub:

• sweet potato

sweet edible orange root that is similar to a yam

Ok, let's get serious:

sweet potato

sweet edible orange root that is similar to a yam English-Bulgarian

• sweet-potato

батат; English - Hmong

• sweet potato

n. Lub qos liab hEnglish - advanced version

• sweet potato

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sweet potato
n
1. the fleshy root of the sweet potato vine
2. pantropical vine widely cultivated in several varieties for its large sweet tuberous root with orange flesh [syn: sweet potato vine , ipomoea batatas]

3. edible tuberous root of the sweet potato vine grown widely in warm regions of the united states
4. egg-shaped terra-cotta wind instrument with a mouthpiece and finger holes [syn: ocarina]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WordNet 2.0

• sweet potato

Noun
1. the fleshy root of the sweet potato vine
(hypernym) tuber
(part-holonym) sweet potato vine, Ipomoea batatas
2. pantropical vine widely cultivated in several varieties for its large sweet tuberous root with orange flesh
(synonym) sweet potato vine, Ipomoea batatas
(hypernym) morning glory
3. edible tuberous root of the sweet potato vine grown widely in warm regions of the United States
(hypernym) root vegetable
(hyponym) yam
(part-holonym) sweet potato vine, Ipomoea batatas
4. egg-shaped terra-cotta wind instrument with a mouthpiece and finger holes
(synonym) ocarina
(hypernym) wind instrument, wind

Expanding yam just still gives sweet potato.

There, did I help?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:36 am
Ha! Wikipedia says they are the same:

Yam can mean several things:

Yam is Genghis Khan's and Mongols' supply point system

Yam is the common name for members of genus Dioscorea

Especially in the United States, Yam refers to the sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas)

Yam is another name for Yaw, the Levantine god of the untamed sea
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:36 am
Ha again:

yam
n 1: edible tuber of any of several yams
2: any of a number of tropical vines of the genus Dioscorea
many having edible tuberous roots [syn: yam plant]
3: sweet potato with deep orange flesh that remains moist when
baked
4: edible tuberous root of various yam plants of the genus
Dioscorea grown in the tropics world-wide for food
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:40 am
No No No!

A Yam is a cross between a Yak and a Ram.

It is virtually indistinguishable from an ordinary Ram, except that it can talk at a faster speed, and for longer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:41 am
you wont get high if you smoke a sweet potato. Yams are gonaa be the next big thing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:04 am
I just read this whole thread to the assembled here and two things have risen, three, if you count Cousin Harvey's visible pants tent, but he is asleep there on the nearby couch and is considered innocent.

One, Bryant (the smart one) says all that haggis stuff is (fill in favorite excretory dismissive phrase) and says that the Brits and Aussies (no one can tell the difference between those yams and sweet potatos either) have it confused with some creature like the American Mince, but only similar in the way bricks work the same as brass doorstops. The American Mince, he reminds us while standing on a chair waving for his wife to come fill up his glass, must be herded together by a pack of trained mincing dogs.

Starting at one side of a plowed field the pack runs in ever decreasing circles until they have surrounded all the creatures contained therein. Then the lead dog, also called the Hot, picks up each mince in her jaws like a puppy and brings in to the Huntmaster to put in his tuckerbag. (Local usage for sack. Derivation Unknown)

The minces are not field dressed at all, but thrown into a boiling pot of cider water and chopped Bartlett Pears and Jonagold Apples. (Skim off the fur as it floats to the top.)

At some point Brandy or rum is added, but don't hand it to Bryant if it's to see the light of day.

Joe(and is it MarshmAllow or MarshmEllow?)Nation

OH! I forgot. Big Michael says he dated Ipomoea Batatas in high school and she was hot to trot.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 08:32 am
Two items of note in this discussion - When cooking the American Mince you'll find that the wing and thigh meat is actually lighter in color than the breast meat. The Mince is the only bird in North America with this attribute. Next time you are eating a mince meat pie take a look at the little chuncks of meat - you'll see exactly what I mean.

On yams - I hate yams. A few years back I was invited to a friends place in VA for Thanksgiving and I goit stuck in the world's longest traffic yam. Things started out well enough but I quickly found myself stuck in the yam whilst sitting on I-84 in CT and the yam continued all the way to Richmond. The NJ Turnpike is one huge yam and I don't know how people down there ever get around at all. Now a just stay home for T-day and avoid yams completely.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:03 am
well weve got 2 very different opinions concerning the Linneaen nomenclature that includes the Mince. SOme say its a small furry animal and others say it is a bird.

Its hard to tell from up here but Im gonna say that they appear more mammal like.
0 Replies