Genetic stuff

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:35 am
Hi please can someone do my homework for me and tell me a recent event happening at the moment connected with genetic engineering.
Like dolly the sheep, but happening now.
thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 800 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:16 am
Re: Genetic stuff
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Hi please can someone do my homework for me and tell me...

No can do. I make it a policy not to do the homework of anybody.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:07 am
Oh great, so now i have to find a search engine, type in genetic stuff, trall through endless lists.........
maybe im lazy
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:09 pm
You can't be that lazy or you would not have bothered to come to here and ask. Stop beating yourself up and allow the thrill of discovery to embrace you and in turn you will embrace discovery.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:10 pm
I was cloned just yesterday. Some dude named Merry Andrew. . .
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:12 pm
Henry the warthog.
Sammy the hamster.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:33 pm
Normally, I don't do homework, but I think that this stuff is fascinating:

http://www.medicalert.org/Seryx/
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:07 pm
Phoenix

Yeah-but it's about abnormalities isn't it?There are infinite possibilities of those but only one normality.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:14 pm
spendius- I think that what that company is doing is just in its infancy. The drugs that they are testing for, and the genetic markers that they are looking at, are limited. Ultimately, through DNA, doctors will know which drugs will work on a person, and which won't.

A few months ago, I had a sore throat with swollen glands and fever, that just would not let up. I had to go through three different antibiotics, prescribed by doctors, before I found one that worked. It took many weeks of misery. Wouldn't it have been wonderful if the doctors had known, through my DNA, what would be the most effective for me?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:39 pm
How do you know whether your symptoms weren't useful to you.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:00 pm
spendius wrote:
How do you know whether your symptoms weren't useful to you.

I know what you are saying. The fever was a physical response to the bacterial infection. The problem was that it went on for too long, weeks. Apparently, my body was having difficulty throwing the infection off. That cannot do a body any good, and could have led to serious complications.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:04 pm
I would suspect that most of the genetic engineering research is under the table. If there are laws restricting certain practises; they just do it in another country.

Scary stuff, it is.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:20 am
Wow!Scary!Science is scary.Is that what you're saying?Truth is scary?

Those scientifics in the Evolution arguments have no fear of anything.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:24 am
flushd- If people gave into "scary", the world would not have progressed to the point technologically that it is today.

If Ford gave into "scary", we might still be travelling by horse and buggy.

If Sabin gave into "scary", polio would still be the scourge that it was when I was a kid.

If Bill Gates gave into "scary" we might still be writing letters on typewriters.

It is those people who "push the envelope", who are not afraid to walk into uncharted waters, that has enabled the earth to progress. Without innovators who are unafraid, we might still be living as primitive people.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:25 pm
I admire ingenuity and creative risk-taking.

What is frightening is 'scientific progress' without regard for the concequences. Ruthless pursuit of progress. Progress in the name of science which is without humane consideration. Just because something can be done; doesn't mean it should be done. Sometimes technology is not the most important thing at the moment. Sometimes it does not serve humanity: but the vested interests of a few. I certainly do not believe further technological progress is the answer to all life's 'problems'.

I do understand what you are saying, Phoenix.
However, I think it would sane to find certain areas of 'science' scary. It isn't cowardly or wishing to regress to primitive times. It is simply looking about and having a human response. Science is advancing at a pace that is incredible. Are we able to adapt to it so quickly in a healthy way?

P.S. I'm sorry if I am derailing this thread.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:42 am
wow. thank you phoenix, that was perfect!!!
he he he.
0 Replies