Would you wear a symbol you didn't believe in?

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:22 pm
I had/ have a Buddha necklace that I wear occasionally -- it is E.G.'s, and he gave it to me as a good luck charm when I went to live abroad, and we both use it as such now. We're not Buddhist, per se, but respect a lot about Buddhism (if we were somehow forced to choose a religion, it'd probably be the choice).

I'm also very fond of Ganesh but don't have any Ganesh jewelry (simply because I haven't found any that I both like and is affordable) -- not sure if the "believe in" thing applies there, exactly, but I'm not Hindu.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:23 pm
I'd never wear a cross, though -- it came up when I was a teenager in the mid-80's and Madonna wannabes were all wearing crosses. Just couldn't.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 11:00 pm
I won't even wear symbols for what I DO believe in. Can't say why.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 05:43 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
there seems to be some general consensus that "if you've got a religion, keep it to yourself

If I didn't love the US so much, England would sound very attractive to me, with that attitude!

Does mandatory teaching of Christianity in state schools sound attractive to you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 06:44 am
Amazin' . . . a Babs sighting . . . good to see ya Babs . . .

I am completely opposed to wearing clothing which advertizes the manufacturer (someone who sells t-shirts has no business calling themselves a "designer"--they haven't designed the t-shirt). You pay the bastards too damned much for the garment to begin with, i'll be damned if they will then get me to act as a free billboard for them . . .
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:14 am
Quote:
Does mandatory teaching of Christianity in state schools sound attractive to you?

No! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 07:17 am
Re: Would you wear a symbol you didn't believe in?
ossobuco wrote:
I was prompted to ask this by Phoenix, who thought it was an interesting question when I brought it up on another thread.

I was musing about a gold crucifix I was given as a child, and wondering if I had it now, would I wear it out of sentimental value, or for decorative reasons, even though I no long am a believer in a god.

Do all who wear crucifixes wear them for religious reasons? Are all who wear Chicago Bears sports jackets fans of the football team? If you would wear a symbol sometimes that you don't fully believe in, is there a line regarding this that you wouldn't cross.

Well, I know I sometimes wear a wool scarf with the word Juventus on it, for the Milan soccer team, and if I followed italian soccer more than I do, that would not likely be the team I would be for. I wear it because a friend gave it to me and I enjoy its colorfulness and warmth.

As for a line I know wouldn't cross, that's easy, I wouldn't wear Nazi symbols.

How about you?

I would only wear only what I believe in.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:19 pm
This isn't voluntary. I have to wear a uniform and bits of the uniform have Crowns on them. I'm not a monarchist. I would prefer a Republic. However I have no doubt my employer would take a dim view of me if I snipped off the metal crown and used a laundry marker to wipe out the cloth crowns Shocked
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:43 pm
Understand, GF.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:19 pm
I've worn clothing with the designer's logo on it, but I try to look for what's inconspicuous. I avoid team logos because I'm not a sports fan, much. I wouldn't wear a religious symbol I didn't identify with.

dauer
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:29 pm
I almost wore a St. Monica's High School hooded sweatshirt recently. My niece had left it here (everybody who visits leaves something I mail back... it is a phenomenon I'm in tune with) and it wasn't hers either, but a friend's. First of all, it looked warm. It would've fit me, and I had a faint sentimental attraction as I went to that parish's grammar school for first and second grades and a segment of fourth grade. Ah, memories of playing jacks at high speed...

But I didn't, I put it in a package with some other things and sent it on its merry way; presumably eventually it'll get to the owner.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:59 pm
When I retired from the university I was given a boosters jacket (to wear to sporting events, I presume). I found a kid on the street about my size and gave it to him. He was thrilled. I would not be buried in it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:15 pm
I guess I'm not as word on clothing phobic as some, although I understand the visceral distaste for it. I just have pockets of 'exceptions' to my general distaste.

When I wear (I did this once) a sistine chapel tee shirt under a plaid workshirt I am doing some sort of clothing collage and not.. promoting, feh, the sistine chapel, which doesn't need me in line. Not that I am anti Michelangelo Buonarotti, I am just more avid for Mr. Merisi.

I have varied over the years in clothing manners. I was raised with traditional clothing values, and sewed my own wool dresses out of vogue patterns... went to class wearing short heeled pumps... just a few years before all hell broke loose and we could all wear jeans to school and in my case, work, though we usually didn't.

I've been unaware of, aware of, interested in, and uninterested in, thrift shopping, and then sometime later interested again. There is room for creativity with it, a bit of a playing field. Sometimes logos waddle across the field.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:19 pm
I also separate near and far experience...
as in JL's case, he faced a call to rah rah his professional association.
I understand the not...
I didn't go to ucla graduation, and that was before everybody else got ennui about it.

But hey, a sweatshirt with my first grade school on it? I was tempted.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:25 pm
Osso, what a coincidence: I didn't go to my UCLA graduation ceremony either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:35 pm
You went way further in school (if not took more classes, geez) than I ever did..

I tried to erase that ucla bit, but it was too late. I'm not very rah rah, though I was given an invitation to the wide world the day I walked there the first time.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:53 am
I'm Hindu and though i'm not much of a believer, i do wear pendants and earrings of God/Godesses if they're pretty/given to me by someone i like.

However, i told my friend that i couldnt accept her gift - a ring that had sai baba's (a famous Indian "godman") face on it - although i knew it would hurt the person - a good friend - who'd given to me.

I can wear something i dont believe in...but i wont wear something that i clearly disrespect.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
My only piece of jewelry is my wedding band, which is an important symbol for me.

I too notice it several times a day.

17 years ago I bought myself a really great gold chain, which I never took off. It was a symbol of a milestone in my life.

Maybe a year and a half ago I looked down, and it was gone. I felt like something was missing inside me for a while. I could get myself to buy something similar, since it wasn't for the same purpose.

Clothes, no. Not only do I not wear anything with logos, sayings, etc. but I really don't even like prints, stripes, etc.

I love color, but seldom wear more than two colors at a time.

Whoops, today I have 3.
Black velour pants, cream turtle neck, and a camel jacket.

Colors I think, are like a symbol to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 01:45 pm
Colors and patterns and their mixing are a visual pleasure for me.. in collage and in clothes. I'm one of the odd people who doesn't care soooo much how I look in something - I care more if it amuses me. I used to be just the opposite. Not that I don't care how I look at all - but, for example, I never did have my "colors" done, not giving a hoot if I am spring, summer, fall, or winter. Somehow, after that fad was going on for a year or two, a lot of my firends had a lot of orange clothes..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 02:41 pm
I really don't enjoy new clothes. Partly because new clothes usually mean some of my beloved old clothes have been consigned to the rag bag and partly because new clothes could conceiveably require a new attitude.

I have schooled myself to appreciate new socks as new equipment for striding through a world that hasn't happened yet.
0 Replies