Hunting

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
I too don't like to eat deer meat. Years ago I hunted for food and would again, put in similar situation. We ate racoons, armadillos, deer, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits - anything we could catch, except possums. I don't see the good of hunting for other reasons.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 10:12 am
There was a very interesting article on hunting in our paper today. I was going to send it to cjsha because I thought he would find it interesting but this looks like an interesting thread to post it to:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/113659710513040.xml&coll=7

The article discusses the negative impact on Oregon's enviroment due to the decress in hunting and fishing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 01:00 pm
Thanks boomerang!

Just any FYI, I prefer fishing to hunting, but I am a loud hunting proponent because of the threat from the anti's. Do you know that PETA targets children who are being taught to fish by their parents, with cartoon pamphlets, telling them how "fishing is cruel and painful for the fish" and "my Daddy kills animals"? These losers actually hang out at fishing holes popular with young families, in spring, when fishing season opens.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:14 pm
I think that the actions of PETA are abit overblown and their actual influence, even among vegetarians is marginal. The practise of aligning anything that has a whacko element with anyone who isnt a conservative is just dumb headed.
PETA is its own worst enemy , not everyone likes tofu.

I quit deer hunting as a kid who nearly got shot by a bunch of typical big game hunters, they werent especially bad, just didnt make sure of their backgrounds (They fired into a large valley where I was posted near an orchard). It was just greediness at not foregoing a poor shot. The fact that I dont like deermeat is a separate issue.
I enjoy hunting wherever shot or "punkin balls" are used, and since I only had re-taken up small game hunting , Ive been stocking up on geese, which can be kept frozen for about 3 months tops. So, Im done goose hunting this year unless we eat a goose a day for the remainder of the season. Im really amused at these guys shooting snow geese. They are pretty much inedible and, because they are explosively expanding, the states in the Eastern Flyway have put a "no limit" limit on them (We can take 10 a day). But that would just be slaughtering the damn things for the sake of killing. Wed be no better than domestic dogs who got into our paddock one night and killed 12 sheep, just for the hell of it.
Now theres a winter rabbit season , thats always fun and , its open until I have to leave for a longish expedition.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:18 pm
I'm interested in trying a modern "smoke pole". Owning one certainly extends your hunting season in Michigan.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
you mean a teepee?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:24 pm
Personally I neither hunt nor fish but I am not opposed to it.

PETA doesn't really have much to do with "ethical treatment" anymore.

On the opposite hand are those people who run the wildlife "farms" where hunters can go and kill things in small, fenced areas.

I admit that hunting simply for sport gives me trouble. People should eat what they kill.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:30 pm
A muzzle loader... Wink

There's a "deer farm" like you described near my place up north. It's far from small. Literally thousands of acres, with an incredible managed deer herd. It's not my idea of hunting either, but I'm not opposed to it. The guy bought and bred all those deer, it's his resource to do with as he sees fit.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:55 pm
I have some buddies who go muzzle loader hunting all the time. One friend had a custom made quilted maple stock and forepiece . It was a replica of a Pennsylvania Musket. He got a shot at a deer once and he had to bring his gun up from a barrel down position. AS he raised it he could here the musket ball rolling out the barrel. I guess his patch wasnt enough to hold the bullet firmly.
Firing one of them rifles is a damn try on ones patience . Pull trigger, click, hisss, pop, boom! Its a wonder that anything got shot with those guns.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
Farmerman, check out some modern versions at Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.comhttp://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results2.jsp?Ne=2510&noImage=0&Ntt=muzzle%20loader&Ntk=Products&QueryText=muzzle%20loader&Ntx=matchall&N=3753&trueNum=174/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:58 pm
An acquaintance of mine goes deer hunting with a bow. He's darn good at it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:02 pm
http://mattsarchery.8k.com/freddy2.gif

That's an aquaintence of mine, and a good friend of my father, standing next to Fred.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:40 pm
Timber, long time for a reply, but javelina are fierce little things that can make a mountain lion back down. Ah but when they are cooked right, like your boars, they suddenly become delightful.

My stepfather lived in Alaska many years ago and knew of men who hunted polars bears from helicopters. Who can honestly call that hunting?

A note about PETA. Dys was in Spain one year, eating a breakfast of ham and eggs in the large hotel dining room. Some PETA folk sat down near him and started to scold him for eating meat. A couple of minutes later they asked him how to get to the bull fights. He asked how they could go see a bull get killed and they relied, "Well, we just want to watch." Gives you an idea of why our feelings about PETA are negative.

There are lots of characters in PETA with no common sense. Brings to mind the saying, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." And I even question their intentions.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:52 pm
What's PETA stand for?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:54 pm
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals . . . a buncha nut cases, really . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:56 pm
Pennsylvanians for the
Eating of
Tasty
Animals
0 Replies