Why did you pick your username and Sig?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 10:19 pm
Dek, First of all, WELCOME to A2K. Well, now, I think this subject has been covered on A2K before, but I'll offer this much. There used to be in this land another chat room called "Abuzz," and I started out with my moniker "takeo22b." That went by the wayside, when another Abuzzard decided to use "kateo." You do understand, don't you? Well, I needed to find a moniker that nobody else would want to imitate, so from the barrows of my brain came "cicerone imposter." "Cicerone" is a Italian word meaning a guide who tells the history of tourist attractions. Since I travel frequently around this globe of ours, my wife continues to suggest that I become a tour guide, and I must keep reminding her that I am retired and do no wish to work - that hard. Since I am not a tour guide, therefore, "imposter." Wink Rolling Eyes Cool c.i.

p.s. There are several definitions for the word "barrow." You may select any one that suits you. Wink
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2003 10:36 pm
Cicerone
I forgot all about takeo22b. Talk about a blast from the past.
0 Replies

Turkish-Chick

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 12:03 am
Re: Why did you pick your username and Sig?
Dek wrote:
Does your user name mean anything?
Why did you pick it in the first place?
What do you think it says about you?

I've been using this online name for a few years now, I like short names, its also non aggressive, and non threatening while being firm, a bit like me irl! I guess its quite neutral really.

My sig as well says a lot about me, I'm not normal, I can often intimidate people for the reasons why I'm not

How about you?

DeK

because i am a turkish chick Razz i could use my real name but i thought that it is not gonna help you to know me (i guess i wrote it wrong again, hope you to understand me Laughing ) my name is PINAR.. it means Spring in Turkish Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:58 am
Msolga was my Abuzz name. <sad sigh> Abuzz was the first internet forum I ever lived in & I was very sad that things went the way that they did there. But A2K is wonderful!
My real name is Olga, too. Very Happy
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:29 am
I guess I just don't have much of an imagination. Jim really is my name, so that's what I picked when I signed up with Abuzz. When I recently jumped ship to A2K I just kept it for a sense of continuity.

My wife and I both like pigs, so I suggested she sign up with an appropriate name (maybe The Shining Snout?) but she hasn't been interested.
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 05:39 am
My grandfather was an amateur archaeologist and I'm an armchair archaeologist Very Happy
0 Replies

Dek

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 05:43 am
There seems to be plenty of talk about Abuzz, I've never posted there myself and from what I've seen said about it I'm not sure I want too....

Hi C.I Imitation is the sincerest for of flattery Wink

I like cows Jim Very Happy
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 07:30 am
My user name is a reference to a character from one of my favorite movies The Matrix and the mascot of my Alma Mater

My sig I found while making an Anti-War Weblog
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:01 am
I got a big mouth -- and if I'm going to have my say, I ought at least to have the guts to say it using my own name.

So I use Frank Apisa, the name of guy down the street whom I really don't like verymuch.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:02 am
Sorry ...

,...besides having a big mouth, I also can't pass up the chance for a joke.

I use Frank Apisa because it is my real name -- and if I am going to say the kinds of things I say on A2K or Abuzz, I should have to guts to use my real name.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:32 am
Lorna is my real name...I wouldn't chose anything else. I'm just me... Smile

As for the 'I contain multitudes'...well, I do... Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:41 am
"fiat lux" let there be light-obvious in the Goethe context not so obvious in the "nuclear light" which will it be?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 08:51 am
When I first started using messageboards I used my real name. Then I began to see that most other people had nicknames, some of them seemed quite weird, some had a friendly tone and others were kinda cute.
I felt that using my real name was a shade pretentious, but what to use instead.
Then suddenly, UREKA, as a certain someone once uttered.
In trice I became Old, coz I am, and knew. The knew bit has a double meaning. It reflected the fact I had rechristened myself and that I knew/know quite a lot about all manner of things. People here tho call me Oldandknew or Oak or John. Someone who is a bit hilydramatic calls me Olden, not that I mind. So now I'm quite used to my cyber ID and I think I might change my name legally.
As to my signature --- I like dogs and my best friend of all time was a dog. As for the rest of me, well WYSIWYG.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:02 am
when a dog is man's best friend, the dog has a problem Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:03 am
oldandknew wrote:
I felt that using my real name was a shade pretentious, but what to use instead.

Hummmmm!

Not sure of what kind of reasoning lead you to that???

In any case, I forgot about the signature.

But considering my rather vocal agnostic sentiments -- I don't imaging that needs much explaining either.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:17 am
Where are our manners?

Welcome to Pinar - the "Turkish Chick"
I hope the aptness of your name at this time of year spreads both into the weather, and the "flavour" of world events!

NeoGuin;
Just thought I would point out that the mongoose, similar to the wolverine, and Tasmanian devil, is one of the few animals which, I suppose due to its evolutionary value for survival, will attack anything that moves, just for the "fun(?)" of it!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 09:33 am
The day I signed onto A2K, I had an ad for New Haven lamps on my desk.

Guess what.........That's where I got my name from. Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 01:03 pm
Dek's quote: "Hi C.I Imitation is the sincerest for of flattery."
Flattery is in the eye of the beholder. In my case, I'm half blind, so I can't see too well. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 02:23 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Where are our manners?
NeoGuin;
Just thought I would point out that the mongoose, similar to the wolverine, and Tasmanian devil, is one of the few animals which, I suppose due to its evolutionary value for survival, will attack anything that moves, just for the "fun(?)" of it!

I don't know about attacking "anything that moves", but there were a few folks on Abuzz that I kind of "sought out".

Also, as an aside, I have a 21 speed Mongoose bike that's about to start hitting the pavment again:)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 03:48 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Where are our manners?

Yes, indeed! Welcome, Turkish Chick!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 01:36:05