click click buzz buzz information

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:16 pm
Timber I am running pestpatrol and symantec AV and dont seem to have any problems. occasionally Symantec sends gives me a message to say active protection is disabled yet when i click the icon on my start VP tray it says real time protection is active what do you think of this?
i would also say pestpatrol for the average user is really easy to use cause it does everything for me, blocks silently so i dont have to make decisions and i feel does a better job (picks up more stuff) than spybot or microsoft beta. one thing i would ask is-
is there is any conflict by running spybot microsoft anti spy wear beta and pp together?
They all start when i boot up and i have to choose which one im using today and shut the rest down.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 605 • Replies: 1
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:59 am
The three antiyuckware apps shoildn't conclict with one anther, though its possible that during scans, they'll pick up stuff in their compatriots' databases or quarantine files - a nuisance, not a problem.

On the other hand, running the real-time active protection components of all three simultaneously will be a hefty resource load, and unless you've got a very fast processor and tons of RAM, there's gonna be a noticeable performance hit. My suggestion would be to pick the one you find most satisfactory for real-time protectin and blocking, and configure th others to not start with Windows, keep them updated manually - say launch 'em and have them check for updates once a week, and use them just for scan-and-clean operations., on a schedule, and/or on demand, as you feel appropriate.

Your Norton/Symantec issue sounds as thoug Windows Security Center is unable to detect Norton's status. 2 things to try here - one, launch your Norton app and use its "Live Update" function; Automatic Updates does grab the antivirus database updates, but may - very well may, not retrieve application patches or updates. Make sure your Norton installation has all the most current updates and patches. When you've downloaded and installed all Norton updates, reboot, and Norton should present you a prompt which will ask if you want to allow NAV to report its status to Windows. The default setting is "No", so be sure to change it to "Yes". That oughtta do the trick - I think. If it doesn't, then I'd suggest you uninstall/reinstall NAV, run Live Update again, reboot, and watch for the prompt that asks if you want NAV to report staus to Windows.

More info from Symantec HERE.
0 Replies