Films About Subways

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:16 pm
I just watched a really cool film from Hungray called KONTROL.
It takes place entirely in the subway system of Budapest.
Another film I remember is The Taking of Pelham 123
Are there any others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,091 • Replies: 12
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:24 pm
There was a French film called Subway with that actor from Highlander... Christopher Lambert...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:37 pm
"Zucker Babe" a German film from the early 80's. An obese woman has an affair with a handsome subway driver.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:40 pm
Really. That sounds like "Sugarbabies" starring Rickie Lake before she dropped the weight. It was made back in the mid-80's also, I believe. Same film?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:45 pm
I never saw the Rickie Lake film, it's probably the American version. The title does mean "Sugarbaby", but the original is in german.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:57 pm
Well, if we're including movies with substantial scenes in Subways then how about

Speed
The Warriors
MIB II
Ghost
One of the original Planet of the Apes movies
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:27 pm
There was a trio of tales called "Subway Stories" on HBO, I believe, some years ago.

But more movies with substantial subway scenes include:
The Fugitive
Coming to America
Risky Business
Die Hard 3
Matrix
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:31 pm
Didn't Amelie have some subway stuff - I remember her at the station with the photo booth...
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:39 pm
Yeah, lots of Amelie, hinge is right. In the TV series of "Beauty and the Beast" with Linda Hamilton, didn't the outcasts live in abandoned subway tunnels? They were definitely subterranean, and their digs were pretty neat, as I recall.

And Spiderman II has a scene that ends on a public transit elevated line--can't remember whether it starts below ground or not, but at least it's mass transit.

And I think there's a Boston-based one called something like "Last Train to Wonderland" (Wonderland is a stop on the Orange Line, I think. It's not particularly wonderful).Didn't see the movie, so I'm going on hearsay here.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 03:32 am
Mimic
The Ultimate Warrior
An American Werewolf in London (and in Paris)

There are also short subway scenes in Bright Lights Big City and Moscow on the Hudson that come to mind.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 07:20 am
hingehead wrote:
Well, if we're including movies with substantial scenes in Subways then how about
One of the original Planet of the Apes movies

That's Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

Also, if you expand to include commuter trains, there's Married to the Mob and Risky Business.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
Paaskynen wrote:
There are also short subway scenes in Bright Lights Big City and Moscow on the Hudson that come to mind.

Ha-ha! I remembered that subway scene from "Moscow on the Hudson" just a few weeks ago while on the subway in NYC. Many passengers looked so mean and/or crazy, I had to chuckle to myself thinking about it.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 03:20 am
Blade had scenes in the underground system too, so did The Wiz. What is striking about it is that in the majority of films the underground is depicted as threatening, a place for criminals, werewolves, vampires and what have you.
0 Replies