When you write do you...?

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:52 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
When I write, I have to be naked apart from my lucky bow tie, and old RAF flying helmet.
Wagner is played at full volume, and I have a party whizzer in my mouth, which I use to screech in time to the music.

That's what I'm saying. I do pretty much the same thing.... Laughing
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 05:53 am
Hi,

What a great idea... writing about writing.

I found Stephen King's book 'On Writing' very useful for tips (and encouragement).

These days if I'm writing a story, I have a basic idea but allow the characters to deal with the situation in their own way. Watch and Tell. I see myself as a storyteller - writing down the story as they tell it to me. Some very suprising things happen. Characters sulk if they don't get their own way!
It's the only way I can do it because if I already have everything set up in my mind then I get bored too soon - the excitement is in the unknown, for me (and hopefully also for the reader).

If it's a long story, I break it up into sections and write each one as a short story - this also helps with pace, and keeps me interested. (Although so far, I have no finished results).

If I'm into the long novel (aren't we all?), I keep files on my characters. That helps. Nothing worse than having to scroll back looking for a name or date, when you don't want to stop the action.

As for poetry - well, I just write it. I understand that it is raw and overly emotional stuff, with no regular style - but I get a lot of peace from writing poetry, so I just do it. No one outside A2K has ever read any of it. I don't intend to ever send any to a publisher. I don't know why I post it up here, but it seems important to me that I do. (Sometimes you've just got too much in your head).

The thing about listening to music is interesting. Here's something that happened to me:

I wanted to write about this old fella that I used to meet when I was out walking my dog. The man's dead now. Died sitting in his armchair asleep by the fire, aged 80.
I remember him in a grey suit, with the legs tucked into wellington boots, a flat cap tipped slightly back on his head. He had a definate twinkle in his eye and true enough, he told me stories about his youth that would make a sergeant blush, but there was an old fashioned side to him - he shunned new technology and valued the land in a way I didn't know still existed.

Anyway, I wrote about him while listening to some light, classical music. A few weeks later, I was listening to Amon Tobin (electronica/Jazz), when I came across that piece of writing.
I knew that when I'd finished writing it, I'd been pretty pleased with myself, but as I read through I just kept thinking: Well, where the f*ck is his quirky, laddish, dangerous side? It just wasn't there. So then I began to experiment. Now I write different scenes to different music. (First draft)
But I always edit to total silence. After all, I'd have to supply a cd with every story if I needed the music to add atmosphere after the story was written.

Wow - that's enough... never talked to anyone about my 'secret hobby' before. Feels strange.

Great thread.
Endy
0 Replies

Trick-Master

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 02:09 am
I need to have heaps of things going on around me if I'm trying to write.....
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 12:36 pm
Endymion,

I just bought Stephen King's On Writing; haven't read it yet, but I'm working on it. One good book on writing is Character and Viewpoints by Orson Scott Card.
But anyway, thanks for your feedback Very Happy
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 12:42 am
Thanks for the tip, CrazyDiamond.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 01:09 am
This is a very interesting and enlightening thread.

Writing is like, cool.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:52 am
Don't forget that while a writer must understand the craft, a writer must also have subject matter. Any book, fiction, non-fiction or reference has a place on a Writer's bookcase.
0 Replies

shari6905

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:52 am
I usually write w/ music but then I find that after rereading. It ends up being a similar topic or even reworded lyrics. I think I have had writers block for about 10 yrs.
0 Replies