what is the point in life if there is no God, etc.

agrote

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:17 am
For the record, I very much don't believe in God or agree with religion at all. I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic, because I accept that I don't know that there is no God. But I believe very strongly that there isn't one - or at least that there is no loving or conscious God.

So... what's the point in life? Christians and other religious people often use this question as a tool to criticise atheists. But I don't think it works that way, simply because there may well be no point to life whatsoever - it's not implausible. Pointless existence seems to be consistent with what science tells us. For example, biological and evolutionary psychology seems to suggest that love is not some magical thing that justifies our existence, but it's just a means by which we can pass on our genes - and what for?

So seriously, if there's no God or whatever, what am I here for? Does it really matter if I spend the rest of today unwashed and in my dressing gown, sitting in my smelly, messy room not doing the coursework I should be doing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,118 • Replies: 33
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:19 am
It all depends on your mettle as a person and has nothing to do with gods or religion. If you have no purpose as an agnostic, you will have no purpose as worshipper.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:22 am
Re: what is the point in life if there is no God, etc.
agrote wrote:

So seriously, if there's no God or whatever, what am I here for? Does it really matter if I spend the rest of today unwashed and in my dressing gown, sitting in my smelly, messy room not doing the coursework I should be doing?

Are you comfortable sitting in your soiled garments and stench filled room? If you are and if you aren't harming any one and you can afford to live this way, well, then I say feel free to go for it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:39 am
agrote, your posts remind me a lot of the questions I used to ponder when I was a teen. What's the meaning of life? What are we here for? What do I matter? I struggled with those questions for a long time and in some respects wished for a faith I did not have so I could put the answers in the hand of some God and not worry about it anymore.

I finally decided the meaning of life, for me, was to make the world a better place than it was before I arrived, to spend my energies in pursuit of scientific efforts within the medical realm that improve the quality of life for others and future generations.

Each of us struggle with the meaning of life as some point in our lives. I think those with deep faith struggle less with it, but those who struggle through it find themselves with a clear direction on what they want to do with themselves. It's not an easy passage, but one well worth making.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:58 am
Agrote, oftentimes when I get to thinking as you do, one of my grandsons pops up to remind me what a fantastic life I have enjoyed and what a great blessing I can pass on to them.

I've done my share of dumpster diving, to be sure. And sometimes I have had to look up to see down. But in the long run, life has been terrific.

Take note of what edgar said and know that he as an unbeliever and I as a believer have the same orientation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:20 am
life is a cabaret old chum, or perhaps not
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:23 am
What is the point to life if there is a God?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:28 am
Terry wrote:
What is the point to life if there is a God?

Well somebody has to tend to the critters...
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:33 am
There is no God, offcourse...
But, I strongly believe there's something like Infinite Intelligence. Agreed?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:39 am
Sorta following on here in agreement with what others have said, whatever point there may or may not be to your own life is entirely up to you. Life is what you make of it; its a matter of choices and consequences, with a bit of luck tossed in for seasoning.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:29 am
I don't understand why anyone even proposes this question. Regardless of personal goals and morals in life, the fact that I can feel and cause reactions right now, not when I die and not only when I'm with God, is enough reason to live a full life. If we were all emotionless drones with no abilities to touch, hear, feel, taste and smell, then I can see the reasoning behind such a question. But we aren't, and whether God is in your heart or not, you can feel NOW. That's the point of living.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:38 am
Everything is not religion or god, or state. Build your life around your loved ones, and there is always yourself. Believe in yourself.

I don't understand why people complicate things for themselves. Religion, and politics do that.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:48 am
I think I understand where you are coming from.
You feel like there are 2 choices:
1) A scientific explanation for existence in which humans are basically machines. Dull, souless, and barren.
2) An explanation that includes God. Or at least the idea of God. To fill in those holes that science leaves out. That raw, aching feeling of wanting a deeper meaning in your life. The mystery. The comfort. The stuff that can't be written down or formulated or taught in schools.

Look to your own body, mind, and soul for the answers. There aren't any right ones.
People are mostly engaged in trying to make us what they need us to be.
It takes a lot of effort to be who we really are.
Make the decision to answer your own questions.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:52 am
The point of life is life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:02 am
You can be dull, soulless and barren no matter what your calling if that's how you want it. Science does not make anyone a machine.
You can be a worthless turd and be religious or non religious. Or you can relax and be a human being.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:56 pm
flushd wrote:
... there are 2 choices:
1) A scientific explanation for existence in which humans are basically machines. Dull, souless, and barren.
2) An explanation that includes God. Or at least the idea of God. To fill in those holes that science leaves out. That raw, aching feeling of wanting a deeper meaning in your life. The mystery. The comfort. The stuff that can't be written down or formulated or taught in schools ...

The assertion as stated is an artificial construct, and invalid, proceeding from an illicit premise comprising the logical fallacies of false dichotomy and unestablished major axiom. An "End Answer", ultimate deity cannot be, or even be part of, a logical axiom, as such would entail irresolvable contradictions.

A deity which was causal to - the creator of - logic, then perforce would be apart from and independent of logic, not subject to logic, hence, the deity by definition would be illogical, having no place in logic. No resolution is found through holding that logic be an integral component of the inherent nature or condition of being of that deity; that is a circularity which would entail that the deity be not the creator of logic, a circumstance rendering logic a condition or state extant and operative prior to the existence of that deity, therefore superior to and determinative of the nature or condition of being of the deity. In other words, to say all is contingent upon a deity is self-refuting.

Either logic was created by the deity, or it was not. If, as entailed by and ultimately foundational to the core precept of the Abrahamic Mythopaeia in particular, logic was created by the deity, logic would be not axiomatic (which by definition it must be and which by evidence it is) but rather would be contingent upon and subordinately conditional to the deity and hence be not axiomatic, and thus be inoperative, having no purpose, function, or effect, and therefore be non-existant.

If on the other hand, logic be independent of deistic creation, not subject to but rather determinative of the nature or condition of being of that deity, the concept of an omnipotent, all-causal deity implodes.

Ultimately, however presented, the religionist proposition refutes itself.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:59 pm
And it's a pure horsie poop contention, to boot . . .
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:05 pm
Has anyone here read Candide by Voltaire?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:09 pm
sure have. best of all worlds, and all that.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:17 pm
yitwail, what do you think about that book? I can't help but think about what Voltaire is saying in that little book when going through threads like this.
0 Replies