War Criminal found in South Australia...

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:58 am
...but not arrested for crimes against humanity...

Quote:
Rumsfeld arrives amid tight security
November 17, 2005 - 10:09AM

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has arrived in Adelaide for ministerial talks between the US and Australian governments.

Mr Rumsfeld and his delegation arrived at Adelaide Airport on Thursday morning amid tight security with a large motorcade bringing him into the centre of the city.

His movements remain a closely guarded secret although there is speculation that he will have lunch at a local winery.

Mr Rumsfeld will attend the Australia-United States Ministerial Meeting, to be hosted by Defence Minister Robert Hill and Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer.

Deputy US Secretary of State Bob Zoellick will also take part.

Police in Adelaide have thrown a tight security net around the conference venue and hotel where the guests will stay, with up to 500 officers involved.

They say they're ready for anything, including protests and a potential terrorist attack.

On Wednesday, SA's assistant police commissioner described Mr Rumsfeld as one of the world's top terrorist targets.

One protest group, calling itself the Rice Rumsfeld Reception Committee, is expected to draw up to 1,000 people to a protest against Mr Rumsfeld and Australia's new anti-terrorism laws at Parliament House in Adelaide on Thursday afternoon.

© 2005 AAP
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 808 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 03:59 am
Here he is with his favourite fascist dictator...

http://www.greatwar.nl/bagdad/rumsfeld.jpg

After his 'visit' to Iraq the United States of America sold anthrax (amongst other things) to this 'threat to the US and its allies'.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:11 am
Quote:
Soon thereafter, Donald Rumsfeld (who had served in various positions in the Nixon and Ford administrations, including as President Ford's defense secretary, and at this time headed the multinational pharmaceutical company G.D. Searle & Co.) was dispatched to the Middle East as a presidential envoy. His December 1983 tour of regional capitals included Baghdad, where he was to establish "direct contact between an envoy of President Reagan and President Saddam Hussein," while emphasizing "his close relationship" with the president [Document 28]. Rumsfeld met with Saddam, and the two discussed regional issues of mutual interest, shared enmity toward Iran and Syria, and the U.S.'s efforts to find alternative routes to transport Iraq's oil; its facilities in the Persian Gulf had been shut down by Iran, and Iran's ally, Syria, had cut off a pipeline that transported Iraqi oil through its territory. Rumsfeld made no reference to chemical weapons, according to detailed notes on the meeting [Document 31].

Rumsfeld also met with Iraqi Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz, and the two agreed, "the U.S. and Iraq shared many common interests." Rumsfeld affirmed the Reagan administration's "willingness to do more" regarding the Iran-Iraq war, but "made clear that our efforts to assist were inhibited by certain things that made it difficult for us, citing the use of chemical weapons, possible escalation in the Gulf, and human rights." He then moved on to other U.S. concerns [Document 32]. Later, Rumsfeld was assured by the U.S. interests section that Iraq's leadership had been "extremely pleased" with the visit, and that "Tariq Aziz had gone out of his way to praise Rumsfeld as a person" [Document 36 and Document 37].

Quote:
A 1994 congressional inquiry also found that dozens of biological agents, including various strains of anthrax, had been shipped to Iraq by US companies, under licence from the commerce department.

Furthermore, in 1988, the Dow Chemical company sold $1.5m-worth (£930,000) of pesticides to Iraq despite suspicions they would be used for chemical warfare.

The only occasion that Iraq's use of banned weapons seems to have worried the Reagan administration came in 1988, after Lt Col Francona toured the battlefield on the al-Faw peninsula in southern Iraq and reported signs of sarin gas.

"When I was walking around I saw atropine injectors lying around. We saw decontamination fluid on vehicles, there were no insects," said Mr Francona, who has written a book on shifting US policy to Iraq titled Ally to Adversary. "There was a very quick response from Washington saying, 'Let's stop our cooperation' but it didn't last long - just weeks
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:16 am
I thought we had LAWS in this country about not dealing with criminals! Right now our Wheat Board is over the barrel over 'deals' they made with companies linked to the former regime in Iraq. Ask yourself, is selling wheat to hungry people a crime when your persecutor has a history of selling chemical and biological weapons to the SAME regime for the purpose of killing their 'enemies'???
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:50 am
Lol!!!

My thoughts exactly.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 04:59 am
dlowan wrote:
Lol!!!

My thoughts exactly.

Bunny!! Your mission.... and you will choose to accept it.... is, you got some ass to bite!*

*love to help, but work commitments and that sort of stuff. I understand prison food is quite acceptable these days....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:26 am
Oh, I bit what I could at the rally.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 08:54 am
Good on you, Deb!

D'you know -- I fdon't think I've heard any of this on US news broadcasts, nor read it in the newspapers. Seems everyone's concentrating on Bush's trip to China instead. I'm glad you folks Down Under are keeping us posted.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 02:54 pm
Ah, I suspect these meetings are a bit of a sop to we Australians....meant to make us feel important, while the real business of the US is conducted.
0 Replies