[Resolved] Zone Alarm Security Suite

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:12 pm
I have just downloaded the 15-day trial Zone Alarm Security Suite. Everything went swimmingly until it came to updating the Anti-Spyware part. Then it gets about halfway and the following message appears: "The anti-spyware update task is not responding."

I can't get any help from the Zone Alarm site; their so-called "live" help isn't live at all, and the robot answering doesn't help.

Any idea why this is happening - or, rather NOT happening? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 658 • Replies: 7
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:58 pm
Bummer - I don't have the suite, and don't know much about it. I am familiar with Zone Alarm Pro, whicih now incorporates their Antispyware app - IMO, its pretty much a ho-hum antispyware, at least at this point. Haven't had any trouble updating, but I update manually, so I dunno if the auto-update works well or not.

Have you tried updating manually, with nothing else running?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:27 pm
Zone Alarm Security Suite
The Security Suite got lavish praise in the latest PC Magazine, and I've been having difficulty with my CA eTrust AV/Firewall. The Firewall just stalls & I have to turn off the computer to get it out of the way. Given that, and the fact that CA is very slow to respond to email questions, I thought I'd uninstall the EZAV & Firewall, & try something else. But now I dunno...

And it wasn't auto updating; it was manual. Even with auto updates, I tend to do a manual update anyway, every so often, just on principle. Paranoia, anybody?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:07 pm
Zone Alarm Security Suite
Well, I don't know how these things happen, but all of a sudden I got the message that the Anti-Spyware was completed!!

Life's little mysteries!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:08 pm
Sometimes patience is a virtue.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 01:56 pm
I have noticed that when some applications are either being updated or are downloading something from the network/internet they can stop responding and will be reported by Windows as exactly that.

They are, as I understand it, waiting for an aknowledgement back from wherever it is that they are getting the data from.
If they don't get it they will hang around waiting for it.
Because the network/internet is pretty clever they will usually get a response even though it's rather later than originally anticipated. Perhaps the delay is due to busy servers or a poor node or heavy traffic accross that particular part of the network.

Methinks...
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:01 pm
Re: Zone Alarm Security Suite
Tomkitten wrote:
Paranoia, anybody?

You're not paranoid until you have three separate hardware firewalls on opto-isolated machines with each machine being backed up with several software firewalls, filters and an overarching custom, one-off watchdog application that employs all the most nefarious and horrible of hacking tricks to backtrack and annihilate anything that even so much as thinks about scanning a port or attempting to squeeze through a data packet that has not been personally authorised in triplicate by the network's administrator.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:33 pm
Laughing Guess I'm not paranoid then; I don't require the authorization to be filed in triplicate Laughing

You did give me an idea though - a fully autonomous auto-responding shoot-back routine could be kinda fun. Might look into that :wink:
0 Replies