My computer vs. windows update

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:30 pm
I have tried dozens of time to download updates from windows (for my windows 2000 OS). I've switched from sygate firewall to norton firewall and have had norton antivirus all along. I try to download windows updates with firewall and antivirus enabled and disabled. I've reset internet security options to default. I've cleaned up the disc and system (defrag, dump temp files and cookies, hunt down spyware, do disc clean up, etc). I've run diagnostics on the 'puter. I even sent a plea of help to the techs that be at microsoft (I haven't heard back from them). All to no avail.

At the windows updates website, I have used both the custom and the express methods for downloading the updates. After telling them I want to update, nothing happens. I get the window, but no progress is reported until an error message pops up that says it's unable to download updates.

Other issues which may or may not have bearing follow. I am in continuous battle with my dsl box and router as to whether or not I am able to connect to the internet. I don't flicker in and out, I am shut out for chunks of time. I used to be able to shut down the computer and the boxes and restart the whole system with good result, but now this usually doesn't work. I have had decent luck, these days, with unplugging all cables, power cords and then shutting down and restarting.

Otherwise, my computer runs fairly well. It has a decent used-free space ratio.

Thanks for any help......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 838 • Replies: 14
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:47 pm
And, at the moment, I seem only to be able to access able2know. Not windows update, not hotmail.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:59 pm
no wunderground, no google, no symantec...... why does that happen?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:01 pm
I'll just keep talking to myself.

I re-applied my settings at the lynksys setup page (big technical talk, eh?). and reconnected - getting to various websites is now working.

no help with the updates, though.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:10 pm
Well, I just don't know. Probably need a different dsl thing, modem or whatever it is. I had those problems, and when I fired msn, they assured me the problems were cause by their having sent me the wrong modem.

Can't help at all with the update issue. The last time I chose their service pack, it decided to update for me when I shut down. It's disconcerting, but works. What I used to do was got to the Start Button, click Search, and ask for microsoft updates.

I doubt any of this is useful, but gee, I wanted to see you get an answer
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:14 pm
Thanks for talking with me Roger!

What do you figure the life of a dsl box is? I've had this one for at least 2 years. Maybe 4. I usually go to the update page through my start button. But, not through the search function. I thought msn was supposed to finish installation, even if the connection aborts, the next time you're logged in.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:31 pm
My famous answer "I don't know." My box had a life of about 4 months, which about when I sent it back. Thing is, they might have changed something in your service connection and not gotten word to you.

As I mentioned on my ISP Rant thread, I have had two ISPs make changes that required my attention and notified me by email to address I was barely aware I had.

Heck, if we keep bumping this up, you might get an answer
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 10:51 pm
Argh! The jerks!

I think that Verizon has been ok. Most of the problems we've had have been with the wireless router. Now, almost no one ever uses the wifi. Seems silly to keep it. But, this problem seems to be more of an issue lying between the dsl/router boxes (the cabled computers are linked through the wirless router) and my computer, because one other person plugged in through the router seems to have more luck.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:06 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if either your DSL interface or your router/WiFi Access Point were to blame. Might be a little tricky to sort out from here, though. First suggestion would be to actually turn each of them off, unplug 'em for a few minutes, then plug 'em back in, power 'em on, let 'em initialize and synch up, and see what happens.

I may be asking a question above your paygrade here, but do you know which device does your DHCP assignment?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:14 pm
Ehem. I believe it's the router. When I go to the router site, I get the DHCP charts. I check them once in a while to make sure that no one is on who's not supposed to be on. I figure, though, that they can use the wifi stealthily because I had one housemate who used the wifi who never showed up on the DHCP. Geez, I hope I'm not sounding like a rosanna rosanna dana sketch.....

Shutting them off, unplugging them, etc always helps.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:14 pm
And, thanks for stopping by timber!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:16 am
Here's an article from Microsoft:

You cannot install some updates or programs
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:38 pm
DrewDad, thanks. I already read that page. I don't get an error message indicating that the dowload is bogus or unverifyable or anything, it just doesn't load. period. I have perused many pages of windows suggestions and haven't found anything helpful yet. And they still haven't gotten back to me (within 24 hours, my arse!).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:59 pm
Got a bit of other stuff going on here at Castle Tim,ber right now, littlek - I might not be much better at getting back to you than the kids at Microsoft, but I'll be back soon as I can manage.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:28 am
Timber, I didn't see your last message here. Hope it wasn't anything too serious!
0 Replies