That's a lot of flocking seagulls!

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:16 pm
I think, Gus, that it's the Grr...union.

Osso, have you done any other fishing or hunting?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:16 pm
Grunions with onions, what a fry-up..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:20 pm
I wish I could remember what they called the ones on cape cod, I don't think it was grunions.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:21 pm
Might they have been cod?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:22 pm
hahaha, nooo! These were little silver guys like the grunions, but maybe not so long.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:24 pm
The caption under the Heal the Bay photo -

Top: A grunion run. As a wave breaks on the beach, grunion swim as far up the slope as possible. Bottom: A female grunion twists her body and digs until she is half buried in the sand with her head sticking up. She then deposits her eggs in the nest. Males curve around the female and release milt.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:26 pm
littlek wrote:
These were little silver guys like the grunions, but maybe not so long.

That is a wonderful sentence, littlek, and possibly the title of my next thread. It has so many possibilities. Extraterrestrials, sex, deep-sea adventure -- all rolled into one.

Let me think about this. Watch for the thread.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:30 pm
er, okiedokie.

Osso, I think (I don't know for sure) that these east coast silver fish were just hearded onto the shore - they weren't there to mate. But, all that grunion mating business is verra interesting.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:36 pm
I was in Alaska one time, watching the pink salmon make their magnifcent journey upstream, when I noticed a Kodiak bear on the far bank. He ambled into the water and snared one of this fish out of midair with one of his monstrous paws, then proceeded to eat the fish while looking up and staring at me. I was frozen with fear and at the same time I realized I was watching something that one usually only sees on the Nature Channel.

I slowly stood up and retreated backwards to the safety of the forest. I wasn't thrilled about the possibility of becoming dessert.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:37 pm
Wow, that's pretty damn cool.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:47 pm
I sort of caught a dogfish shark in Lake Tomahawk, Wisconsin, in 1954.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:55 am
"Sort of"?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 08:56 am
Did you snag it, Osso?

I once caught a black-tipped shark while fishing for something else (I forget what but it was a lot smaller). We were on an abandoned railroad bridge between two of the Florida Keys. I did not want that shark <!> and tried to shake it off my line, but some of the people standing around asked if they could have it. A guy had to pull the line up hand-over-hand. It was like a dogfish but silver with black tips on its fins... and three feet long.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:24 am
I once caught a bonita, an ugly prehistoric looking thing:

http://www.fishtalestaxidermy.com/saltwater/images/bonita.jpg

We used to catch little sharks all the time out in front of our house in Galveston.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:31 am
boomerang wrote:
I once caught a bonita, an ugly prehistoric looking thing:

Same here. Shanghai, 1934. I was drinking pretty heavily at the time. She was attractive but apparently, as I discovered later, unclean.

Went to the doctor the next day, itching like hell, and he said, "Looks like you caught the bonita"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:32 am
With God as my witness I'll never eat fish again.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:35 am
<chuckling>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 10:02 am
"sort of" - there was some discussion on whether the friend who came on the vacation with us caught it or I did; I forget the details but I doubt now that it was my fishhook, just that my line and I were caught up in the matter of hauling in the fish. Therefore this mighty feat needs several asterisks after the mention in the annals of fishy claims.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:08 am
boomerang wrote:
We used to catch little sharks all the time out in front of our house in Galveston.

What kind? We have a lot of brown dogfish in Puget Sound. Fisherfolk hate 'em because their raspy mouths often break the line and they lose their lures.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jjmeyers/dogfish.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:33 am
I think they were called tiger sharks, maybe sand sharks, maybe tiger sand sharks.

Something like that anyway.

Tasty!

I used to really enjoy fish for dinner until Gus ruined it for me.
0 Replies