That's a lot of flocking seagulls!

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:52 pm
Ha! I taught roger something! I finally feel that perhaps I have paid him back for all he's taught me.

Here's another interesting jellyfish tidbit - a group of jellyfish is called a "smack".

I thought only kisses traveled in smacks.

"Bird **** rock"? How terribly romantic. Sorry to hear about the terns though.

A Fock of Seagulls.... hmmmmm.... I was heavy into "new wave" but never really dug that techno style stuff. I was more Psychadelic Furs than Human League.

No, littlek, nobody has offered a totally valid explaination for the congregation of gulls (to use the more enlightened term).

Now that you mention it though, I didn't notice an abundance of sand fleas. Typically you find those in warmer weather here and concentrated in the bays as opposed to the beach.

Oh! Yes! Noddy! More Biblical stuff!

As I understand it the Armageddon clock is approaching the end days. Perhaps the gulls are a sign?

Beautiful photos, osso. What a lovely place to visit. Quite like Oregon but still different. Someday I'd like to see northern California.

When your own photos get unembedded I hope you'll post some for us to see!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:45 pm
Biblical? Nope, Mormons.

When the crops in Salt Lake City were threatened by a horde of locusts, a flock of sea gulls appeared, snapped up the locusts and saved the fledgling Mormon colony.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 09:21 pm
Oh man.

If my best girlfriend wasn't Mormon I'd think they were the craziest darn people on the planet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 06:19 am
Ticomaya said
Quote:
Oh yes. Dig the hair.

They look like a bunch of bad combovers. Are these guys still around? That group shot is as bad as the "Culture Club". Now there was a band.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:10 am
The Culture Club's Boy George became a successful house DJ, believe it or not.

He once recounted the experience of E-fuelled club culture like this: suddenly, all those guys who used to want to beat me up, wanted to hug me.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:50 am
farmerman wrote:
Ticomaya said
Quote:
Oh yes. Dig the hair.

They look like a bunch of bad combovers. Are these guys still around? That group shot is as bad as the "Culture Club". Now there was a band.

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I saw them when they came to Wichita back in 1994, and played at a local nightclub. They were "has beens" back then. By that time, the lead singer had ditched the bangs (or they ditched him) and was wearing a ball cap.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:59 am
Nad fleas? God save us all.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:56 am
I read that if the anchovies were "running" on the Oregon coast, then that would bring a hoard of gulls to chomp 'em on down.

Also, there is a migration of gulls from the Arctic to some of the interior lakes of Oregon about this time of year. Maybe these were gulls on the move.

(I've never heard of A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS. Guess I didn't miss much.)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:00 am
was the flock of birds gang leader in the Hitchcock movie, "The Birds" a seagull ??????? If so, is it any wonder they are always showboating
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:03 am
I Ran (So Far Away) - A Flock of Seagulls

I walked along the avenue.
I never thought I'd meet a girl like you;
    Meet a girl like you.
With auburn hair and tawny eyes;
The kind of eyes that hypnotize me through;
Hypnotize me through.
    And I ran, I ran so far away. I just ran, I ran all night and day. I couldn't get away.
A cloud appears above your head;
A beam of light comes shining down on you,
    Shining down on you.
The cloud is moving nearer still.
Aurora borealis comes in view;
Aurora comes in view.
    And I ran, I ran so far away. I just ran, I ran all night and day. I couldn't get away.
Reached out a hand to touch your face;
You're slowly disappearing from my view;
    Disappearing from my view.
Reached out a hand to try again;
I'm floating in a beam of light with you;
A beam of light with you.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:07 pm
<groan>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:12 pm
Piffka wrote:
I read that if the anchovies were "running" on the Oregon coast, then that would bring a hoard of gulls to chomp 'em on down.

Also, there is a migration of gulls from the Arctic to some of the interior lakes of Oregon about this time of year. Maybe these were gulls on the move.

Ah-ha! Perhaps Piffka has discovered the truth!

I was unaware that gulls migrated and that Oregon had anchovy runs!

I'm learning more than I anticipated on this thread.

DAMN IT TICO! I'M GOING TO BE SINGING THAT STUPID SONG ALL DAY NOW!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
When you see gulls chasing fish close to short, it's a great time throw in a plug or some bait. You might catch a big striper or salmon or even tuna chasing those smaller fish.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:30 pm
We drove out to cape cod's outer-most beach one evening in a friend's bronco to watch little silver fish beach themselves to escape the jaws of larger fish. We never saw what kind of larger fish they were, but they ripple the surface 10-15 feet out. And the gulls were scooping up the little floppers off the beach. My sister and I, fully grown women, were running up and down the beach tossing the fish from the fire back into the frying pan much to the incredulous delight of our driver.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:55 pm
Sounds similar to grunion hunting.. though not exactly.

http://www.healthebay.org/assets/images/news/grunion2up_400x307.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:06 pm
I was a failed grunion hunter. Went with some friends some midnight back in the early sixties. That was long before I knew how much worse my eyes were for seeing at night than other peoples, so I had trouble getting down the cliff path. Then when the grunion ran I decided I didn't want to pick any up, it felt wrong... as everybody else was filling sacks.

That's a Heal the Bay photo link above, great group re Santa Monica bay.

I'll see if I can find a link that discusses this..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:09 pm
I don't think they were those, but the idea must be similar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:10 pm
Grunion.org
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:12 pm
Isn't there a famous satirical magazine entitled "The Grunion"?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:15 pm
Hand catching seems to be just fine...

My reaction was sort of odd, even to me.. after all I was dissecting sharks, etc., in comp anatomy class, where I met these people. I was happy enough just standing watching.
0 Replies