roger

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:16 am
My ISP, with outstanding service, is leaving that part of the business and selling its customer base to Earthlink. Is this a keeper, or should I start shopping around locally?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,501 • Replies: 20
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:17 am
I like Earthlink!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:18 am
roger i have had Earthlink for 2 years and i would rate it very high
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:22 am
That's good enough for me. Thanks.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:49 am
It's ok on dial-up but if you want to access your email from somewhere else(sip) or want to maintain a web site it's harder than other places, because of all the networks they've bought.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 09:52 am
http://www.zdnet.com/supercenter/stories/overview/0,12069,562147,00.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:00 am
Mail access shouldn't be a problem, husker. I use Yahoo and can pick it up anywhere.

Thanks for the link, Craven. Now I wonder what I'm getting into. "System requirements: Pentium 200MHz or faster; 64MB RAM; 70MB hard drive space". I meet the requirements, of course, but with my current ISP, there was no installation other than adding their local phone number to the dial up connection. I almost feel like I'm joing a club or something here, and I'm not much of a joiner.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:23 am
roger if you call earthlink 800 number you can install directly i have the number if you need it
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:29 am
They are supposed to be sending some propaganda by the 15th. It may already be here cuz I haven't checkd the PO box since returning from vacation. Thanks, though.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:38 am
I use Earthlink at home. Originally signed up with Slip.net, one of the original local ISP's, who were subsequently purchased by Earthlink. The only issue I have with EL is that DNS name resolution seems slow - they told me to upgrade my modem driver - I told them they were nuts. Other than that it works great with consistently high connection speeds, and web based mail access so you can get check your mail anywhere, easily.
0 Replies

Flatted 5th

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 10:42 am
Roger, this isp is very good: www.poetworld.net
It's a small company with great customer service.

I think Earthlink is a good isp provider, but you can get this same thing with this one for only 7.95/9.95 a month.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 11:06 am
I've had experience with about a half dozen ISP services, and Earthlink is by far the best - the very best. I often wonder why so many of our friends keep AOL, one of the worst ones out there. KEEP EARTHLINK! c.i.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 11:24 am
Thanks, Flatted 5th. It probably is a good one, but I believe I will go with the better known brand, since is comes so highly reccommended.

Earthlink it is. Thanks everyone.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 12:27 pm
Sorry Roger: I mean it's when you need earthlink email and using a different ISP
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 12:30 pm
roger Earthlink has both pop3 email and webmail
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 12:34 pm
Dys - for POP3 to work you have to be logged into earthlink, an webmail is there and works - how do you guys using EL get to webmail I'd be interested. Also do any of you have a domain with earthlink?
Thanks
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 12:54 pm
Husker,

Go to http://www.earthlink.net and then click on "Web Mail" at the top of the screen. It will take you to a secure site where you simply enter your e-mail address and password (the one you normally use). That's it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 02:32 pm
cjhsa
that only works if you are using an el.net email
the other place is: - shhot have to wait until I get home thought I had it bookmarked here
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 02:41 pm
I'm not sure what you mean husker. The e-mail address I use is actually a mindspring.com address. They bought slip.net, Earthlink bought them.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2003 02:54 pm
Yeah you can have them host a domain .com or .dot what ever, kind of expensive in my book, so then you get earthlink and your domain emails - it's not so hard for me but regualr run of the mill folks have a tough time of it, with the different server names and configurations of the pop3 and then finding the right place to get webmail is a tough, not the same - it matters where you get stuck in the mix and who got bought out. But I think from the writing above if all you have is EL dial-up and email that is EL, your in great shape - get outside that and it can get saucy
0 Replies