Robertson warns PA

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 05:28 pm
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Conservative Christian broadcaster Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting "intelligent design" and warned them Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck.

Robertson, a former Republican presidential candidate and founder of the influential Christian Broadcasting Network and Christian Coalition, has made similar apocalyptic warnings and provocative statements before.

Last summer, he hit the headlines by calling for the assassination of leftist Venezuelan Present Hugo Chavez, one of President George W. Bush's most vocal international critics.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: if there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city," Robertson said on his daily television show broadcast from Virginia, "The 700 Club."

"And don't wonder why He hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for His help because he might not be there," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/10/religion.robertson.reut/index.html

Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,052 • Replies: 19
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 05:31 pm
You gotta lover robertson, he's such a "christian" at heart. A very vile and black heart.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 05:35 pm
If he wasn't so damned scary he'd be funny. I just can't seem to laugh.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 05:36 pm
Robertson really needs a good kick in the pants.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 05:36 pm
Talk about magical thinking. This fool wrote the book...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 05:39 pm
The awful thing is that some people believe him! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 05:56 pm
Consider this, donations to the flake are tax deductable!
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:04 pm
His PR firm must have felt he was slipping in the ratings. The guy is scary but what really scares me are all the people who make him powerful.

If only the news would just leave him alone.

-J
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:08 pm
Quote:
If only the news would just leave him alone.

absolutely, seems the major media pick him up time after time as if he had anything to offer. He should be put in a closet with the lights turned out.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:12 pm
I wonder how many checks roll in after a brainstorm like this one?
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:15 pm
I remember reading some time ago that his major demographic was women, age 45 and over with less than a high school education.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:16 pm
Not to be surprised if disaster struck?!

It's like satire... only it's real. Shocked
0 Replies

jstark

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:21 pm
Interesting. I wounder how this:

J_B wrote:
wonder how many checks roll in after a brainstorm like this one?

coralates with this:

LionTamerX wrote:
I remember reading some time ago that his major demographic was women, age 45 and over with less than a high school education.

-J
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 06:29 pm
The trial in Dover had the scjhool board trying desperately to convince the judge that ID is science based and should be taught as such. Dr Robertson has removed the skin of deceit and shown the judge that ID had, at its core, a religious motivation. Im sure the ACLU shall use this dumass statement of his in their trial briefs. Robertson is quite able to single handedly shoot hisown dikoff.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 07:33 pm
J_B wrote:
I wonder how many checks roll in after a brainstorm like this one?

Probably a lot. I'm sure Pat's a rich man for his exploits.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 10:04 pm
Conclusions:

Brains are not necessary to be a successful preacher.

Frank has a salutary point when he talks about fear based religion.

But you get what you pay for;
Isaiah wrote:
Hey there, all YOU thirsty ones! Come to the water. And the ones that have no money! Come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk even without money and without price. 2 Why do YOU people keep paying out money for what is not bread, and why is YOUR toil for what results in no satisfaction. (ch 55:vs 1,2)
And Jesus reportedly said: "You received free, give free." (Matthew 10:8)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:02 am
I agree with farmerman that this could ultimately hurt the case for ID. If Pat, the self-proclaimed spokesman for God in all things that matter, says Dover has turned its back on God for rejecting ID, then how can it not be religious? The shell has come off from the walnut.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 08:39 am
At least he's not suggesting we assasinate anyone this time.
0 Replies

catch22

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 10:54 am
Ideally, such mentally befuddled ones should be interned at a mental assylum. But, since he is doing such yeoman service for the Intelligent Design group, it is better he continues shooting himself in the foot. A few more like him & ID will be relegated to the dustbin of history.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 11:46 am
Yanno, this might be an attempt by ole Pat to get into meteorology or any other form of prognostication. I mean, he's such a careful scientist and all, and he understands so much about cause and effect, that it's a wonder that the local news hasn't picked up his contract and had him do the weather forecasts. 'Course he doesn't have the exact dates down, but lots of meteorologists don't. Consider the following:

• Reject ID? An earthquake for sure. Some day.
  • Support Venezuela? Certainty of a hurricane. Eventually.
  • Homosexuality somewhere in your state? That's a guaranteed tornado, one of these days.
  • Your state didn't go Republican for the past 16 elections? Expect flooding, within the next several decades.
  • Want alternative energy? Fires in your town, absolutely, some time during the century.

This forecastin' is easy. I'm gonna go out and buy me a buncha lottery tickets! I'm as good as rich!
0 Replies